Muffler selection

knocking? that's horrible.
Yeah that was back in 2011 in May at the Nationals there. I have had more than my share of engine/tranny issues.
My new trans started flaring on the 2-3 shift in BG...I will be road tripping to Richards shop again over Christmas

Bryan

17156 is the part number on mine. 14" body, offset-center 2.5" . Every once in a while I do get a rattle from the valves. i have had mine since 2010 and i understand that they have made a change to the design although I do not know that to be a fact. I love mine.....

Bryan
Valve Rattling from muffler change?

I had no cat and slp loudmouth exhaust on an lt1 and the drone/popping on decel/ was horrible. I call it rasp but when accelerating it was almost like a distinct clapping, that I hated too. Does anyone have sound clips of differnet mufflers on the turbo 6??

The popping on decel likely has something to do with decel fueling. What I've heard is, the meaner the exhaust, usually, the worse the drone. Seems like the RJC crossflow system might be a good middle of the road choice, but I know you already have piping. I really like the sound of magnaflows, the two cars I've heard with them on, but I'm not the one to give up performance for it - unless you want to uncap the dump at the track.

if you send me your email, I can try to take a sound clip of your exhaust with these dynomaxes on them. That might be as direct as you can get to understand what your car might sound like with the same system. keep in mind though there's a few things that affect exhaust "sound" like what type of air filter setup you have and how big the exhaust wheel is on your turbo and your cam. I have a bigger turbo (65mm exhaust - seems to raise pitch) and closed ATR can type air filter setup (reduces drone). Yes the air filter setup has something to do with it too.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228693

please don't take too much offense T what, but please don't suggest anyone putting magnaflow POS's on any turbo car. If you do a little research there are guys that have seen some boost loss on this board (therefore restriction).

Maybe not dynomaxs, but anything but magnaflows unless you can ensure they are correctly made before you put them on.

I won't take offense from any Internet expert. Lol. Mine are straight through and I LOVE them. Where do you see I suggested them?

Anyone know the size of stock muffler? Can a 19in fit and what is the inlet diameters? 2 1/4 or 2 1/2? I'm seeing both online.

Anyone know the size of stock muffler? Can a 19in fit and what is the inlet diameters? 2 1/4 or 2 1/2? I'm seeing both online.

The 2 inlets and 2 outlets are 2 1/4”
The muffler itself measures 5”x 10”x 18” long.
It looks like a 19” long muffler will work as there’s a couple inches between the muffler and the hangers on each side.
Mine is on the shelf if you need anything else.

Borla XS, great power and sound yet not as loud as others that made less power. The power band is almost the best at every rpm range vs the others except Bassani Street.

Attachments

• mufflers-3740241411.jpg
    mufflers-3740241411.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 14
Borla XS, great power and sound yet not as loud as others that made less power. The power band is almost the best at every rpm range vs the others except Bassani Street.
Than you so much. This is what I was looking to get. I wasn’t sure if it would sound good or create problems. No one has anything about them from my good search.

It looks like a 19” long muffler will work as there’s a couple inches between the muffler and the hangers on each side.
Man thank you!! I appreciate it. Helps with ordering the right one.

Do you by chance know of any one who makes a cat back 2.5 without a muffler? That way I can put my own mufflers into them? Would like to do Borla but they don’t seem to have a grand national catback.

I’m pretty sure the Pypes systems, both 2 1/2” and 3” can be purchased without mufflers.
Something to keep in mind when buying mufflers, straight through perforated core mufflers make the most power on our cars.
The baffled ones (flowmaster and the copies) are not as good.
Even flowmaster came around and now offer straight through perforated core mufflers with an oval case along with cherry bomb.
The heavier and more dense the packing material, the deeper the tone.

I wanted a straight through perforated core muffler that was quiet for our 2010 Escalade ESV. I think Cadillacs should sound powerful, just not loud.
Nobody made a direct replacement, so I made my own.
I thought about using slots like the original ATR Pitbull mufflers, but in the end I drilled 880 1/4” holes. I used stainless steel steel wool and ceramic fiber blanket for the packing. The muffler is 3.5” offset in/ offset out 14”x 8”x 26” long. It turned out just a bit quieter than the factory muffler. It’s very deep toned and sounds very healthy when accelerating with no drone inside. I lucked out as it was just what I wanted.
Just some stupid cool stuff I do.

IMG_3342.jpeg

IMG_3348.jpeg

IMG_3368.jpeg

IMG_3384.jpeg

The SGG50 is the P/N for the 2 1/2” no muffler kit.

IMG_5085.jpeg

The 3” no muffler kit should be SGG51, but wasn’t listed on their site.
It should be available through Summit Racing or Jegs and possibly the Buick vendors.

Borla uses heavy dense packing for a deep tone and by the chart is a good choice.

I’m pretty sure the Pypes systems, both 2 1/2” and 3” can be purchased without mufflers.
Something to keep in mind when buying mufflers, straight through perforated core mufflers make the most power on our cars.
The baffled ones (flowmaster and the copies) are not as good.
Even flowmaster came around and now offer straight through perforated core mufflers with an oval case along with cherry bomb.
The heavier and more dense the packing material, the deeper the tone.

I wanted a straight through perforated core muffler that was quiet for our 2010 Escalade ESV. I think Cadillacs should sound powerful, just not loud.
Nobody made a direct replacement, so I made my own.
I thought about using slots like the original ATR Pitbull mufflers, but in the end I drilled 880 1/4” holes. I used stainless steel steel wool and ceramic fiber blanket for the packing. The muffler is 3.5” offset in/ offset out 14”x 8”x 26” long. It turned out just a bit quieter than the factory muffler. It’s very deep toned and sounds very healthy when accelerating with no drone inside. I lucked out as it was just what I wanted.
Just some stupid cool stuff I do.

View attachment 399198

View attachment 399199

View attachment 399200

View attachment 399201
This is nice.. I need to provide clarity. Is there any 2.5, 304 stainless steel w/out a muffler? I'd like to do a Borla muffler (like their sound and it sounds like their drone capabilities is recommended by some on this board). Their mufflers are all 304 grade and I was trying to keep it the same.

ATR used to sell the 2.5" SS Y pipe for us if that's what's your looking for. I still have that and then ran pipes out the sides. There's got to be piping kits no muffs for us out there.

ATR used to sell the 2.5" SS Y pipe for us if that's what's your looking for. I still have that and then ran pipes out the sides. There's got to be piping kits no muffs for us out there.
Going to look them up now. It's crazy how much there is out there and how much some stuff is extremely hard to find :)