Mustangs, Cops and N20 (a new movie)

Orion231

We just moved into town and have recently finished getting our new place setup. It's Friday night, p(l)ayday at that, so we hop into the GN to head out for food.

Eventually we ended up at a local icehouse. We were waiting on the patio for our pizza (which turned out to be great) when we noticed a group of three headed towards the GN. We gave each other looks as I mutter, "What the hell?" to Will (aka Cryptic).

It turns out to be a guy from the local tint/performance shop which I had met several months previous. Recognizing each other we said our greetings. We overheard him telling his friends that...

Mustang Guy:
"I'm not worried about that z28, the only car I'm worried about here is that black one."

Friend(s):
"But it's a Regal?"

Mustang Guy:
"No, it's a Grand National."

Friend(s):
"Oh...:confused:"

So we talk for a bit and he mentions offhand that he has this Mustang (about which he and I had previously talked) and that we should run them.

A brief discussion of each others cars takes place during which nothing of any significance about either car is revealed (i.e. Mustang Guy: "It's all motor!!!!;)") He asks if we'll be around for a half hour so he can go pick up the car and cryptically mentions offhand to his friends, "Yes, after we drop off the eggs...". We concur and go back to our pizza.

Of course in the meantime some tuning takes place on our end. I mean, it's a Mustang, we can't let him beat us, right? The tuning consisted of burning ourselves on the wastegate rod and pulling out Turbolink (for safety's sake).

Mustang Guy arrives and we talk for a few minutes while each of us drops some tire pressure. We agree on a place to run and as we're not too familiar with the geography he leads the way.

While leaving the icehouse, some fratguy (who had said some good things about GNs inside to Will) yells, "Turbos suck!" To which Will replied, "Screw you hippie!!" And I spool a few pounds sending the car a little sideways. Mustang Guy witnesses this and pulls up next to us with an indescribable, yet incredulous, look upon his face.

We arrive at the spot and agree upon the terms (we line up even and his friend will flag us). Will is riding with me and Mustang Guy had an empty car. The area at which the race will take place is a little out in the boonies at a T/dead end in the road which turns into a good level 1/4 strip with no crossroads. Beyond that point sideroads begin to appear and the road begins to wind a bit.

The lineup is as close as we can get without a physical line on the ground after a small burnout takes place. Friend (the only one who followed to witness the contest) flags a one and we begin to spool boost. Flag two and three go down and we launch semi-hard (damn the vaccum brakes and poorly adjusted rear brakes).

Instantly we pull a partial length and stretch that out to a touch over a full length. I let out just a little (because I'm me and don't know any better) and unlock the torque converter. Suddenly the Mustang *warps* and is a half length ahead of us and slowly pulls it out to a full length. I look over at Will and ask, "What the hell?!" To which he replies, pointing, "The SOB is spraying!! All motor my a$$." As N20 pours out, oddly train-like, from under his hood. Seems his purge valve got stuck open.

So we both shut down and bust a U. He pulls over to the side of the road almost immediately and we do the same as we think he's hurt his motor. Looking forward we realize that back at the startline, where Friend is, are blue and red bubble lights flashing. We both immediately pull another U and get out of there (leaving friend behind :p).

We get on it some and let off when we see across the median three or four other cops heading the way we just came from. We try and be cool but the exhaust is open and we left the cap back at the apartment. Taking as many back roads as possible we eventually end up at a local sports bar to relax. On the way we give Mustang Guy a call and he informs us he just dropped the car off at a parkinglot and is now walking. He also swears that the white train smoke we witnessed was, "a *serious* vaccum leak;)."

He meets us at the sports bar and he buys us a round so we can sit back and talk cars. Turns out he's got a fairly built 347 (that's setup for a 400 shot of N20 although he only sprayed a 150 shot, or so he says), pistons, head, tranny, rearend, etc, etc with an extremely radical cam. Tonight was the first night in four months that he's sprayed and this was also the only race he's ever *had* to spray. Turns out that while he was, "dropping off the eggs," he was actually, "picking up [his] bottle." He was a really cool guy (OMG, Mustang guys can be cool:confused:?) and we had alot of fun.

Oh yes, on a side note: Friend showed up later and informed us that he decided to stay behind instead of running to take one in the name of racing. I.E. sacrifice himself. The cop had pulled up behind him and asked, "What are you doing parked in the median?" To which he replied, "I was just driving along and all of a sudden all these cars were racing up and down this way and so I pulled over because I was scared I would get hit. There were all these cars going up and down all four lanes racing and zooming by. I was scared for my life. It looked kinda cool so I started to watch." The cop gave him a little crap and let him go. So in the end everyone got away :D.

Side, side note: We're tuning this weekend and Mustang Guy has agreed to run us again this forthcoming week. He's a really cool guy and we're gonna go at it a few times. He'll try spraying and all motor so he can get a good idea of what he runs (he doesn't have much time to go to the track). Next time we'll have the race chip in too and we won't let out(I know better now)!!

Yepper....

Yeah, it's hard to think that even Mustang guys can be cool too! His car is really fast, I will give you guys an update after I get mine tuned Sunday and get her set for kill mode....:cool:

Man, that sounds like an awesome story. Props to your friend for taking the heat off. I've never run a car with nitrous, I'd like to someday. It may make for a close race for a change. There have been a few LS1s at the strip running 100 or 150 shots, but I can never seem to line up with them. It'd be cool to see.

Nitrous....

I really like Ben, but he should have said he had nitrous, I mean I had nothing to had from him...BUT he hit me with and extra 150 horspower for two gears...:eek: and he says he is going to put a bigger shot on it soon....oh well...I guess I need to ditch the stock IC and get one that will let my combo breathe better. He was still a cool guy, but hey, glad you liked our story... Ohhh I also raced another (new) Mustang GT last night in Kingwood, Texas... :D His car had something done to it because I have never seen a stock GT go sideways at 70 mph!!! :eek: We pull up at a stop sign out in the midle of no where....and his buddies in the other vehicle shout out the window... "race the boxy black thing!!!" so I line up with him, spool a little and I wait for him to go, when he starts to move I hammer it....after 2nd gear the 51 starts to breathe and I start putting these massive bus lenghts on him...the BEST part is, there was another stock 87 GN cruising behind me and he saw he entire show....when we stopped the guy jumps out and says...thats got a charger! What kind of V8 is it?! So we educate him a little. And come to find out..his car has a nice 175 shot on it...From behind Jeff (other GN that was cruising with me) said his car was spinning when we left... I spun also. But anyhow...I don't see how this weekend could get anymore exciting....:D

Always good races in Kingwood. And of course there's eight (to the best of our knowledge) Turbo Regal powered vehicles there too. What Cory didn't mention was that Jeff and ourselves were cruising all night together. One car would take one race and then another car would take the next. It was dangerous:D

Where is Huntsville/Kingwood Texas? I don't drive a buick,but it's still a GM.

Kingwood is slightly northeast of Houston. Still considered inside the city limits though. If you know where Humble is, we're literally right next to it. Huntsville is a little north(west?) of that where Cory and I room together at Sam Houston State University. It's where all the big state prisons are:D

oh, I'm up by Dallas. There's not much around here that will race. beat ricers once in a while in the red camaro, can't get anything to play when I'm in the vette(not even a porsche carrera), and the black maro only goes to the drag strip. Thought I might have been able to meet some new friends :-P

Well, depending on how fast you drive, Dallas is only a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive from Huntsville (maybe faster, but then you'd better have a radar detector). It's literally straight down I-45/S. We'd be more than willing to hang out if the drive is worth it:p

Nice job guys, but this time lay him on it Cory! Hey why dont guys get another fast ford, then you can call Justin down!

Nice job!:D

Tony

Well, Justin needs to get off his lazy butt and get brakes first then we'll dig up another Ford and work it out. Lazy, lazy Justin...

thats what i hate about nitrous and mustange guys in general. they never admit if they are spraying and if they do admit it they never say what size. i hope to god he has a very strong bottom end to handle a 400 shot! that car should be running well in the 10's even with only a 150 shot.