My 1986 GN engine bay project is finally done have a look...

phillyturbosix

Staff member
Been working on this all winter and finally done. I'm just waiting for one of Eric's super duper chips for it and I can fire it up. Took the engine apart and powder coated everything pretty much. Let me know what you think! I even powder coated the nuts and bolts! :cool:

Before....

IMG_1784.JPG

IMG_1786.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG

Looks awesome. Nice transformation. The only eye sore is the rusted brackets/bolts for the PW . I have the same issue and will either take it off and repaint or just replace with a hydroboost. I like the way the valve covers came out.

That power master is my next thing to over haul. The last owner converted to vacuum and put the PM back trying to keep the engine bay stock but I think he left it out in the back yard for awhile! :eek: I actually have 3 power masters so I'm going to take it apart and make one good looking one out of the 3. :) The only reason I didn't do it while doing the engine is I have the car pulled into the garage and I don't have much room to fit my big ass on that side of the garage. Once I get the chip in and get it running I can move it into the other garage and play with the PM. :)

I went for that clean stock look.

now im jealous...so im going to have to find out where you live and smear greasy fingerprints all over that engine bay :)

Been working on this all winter and finally done. I'm just waiting for one of Eric's super duper chips for it and I can fire it up. Took the engine apart and powder coated everything pretty much. Let me know what you think! I even powder coated the nuts and bolts! :cool:

Before....

IMG_1784.JPG

IMG_1786.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG
nevermind.....

Nice work. I was gonna chime in about the PM area but it's been covered. I'm working on a similar project as well...:smile:

now im jealous...so im going to have to find out where you live and smear greasy fingerprints all over that engine bay :)

I already have to deal with that from enough friends! All I hear at car shows is... "Jim there is a spec of dust here!" :biggrin:

That's really nice!!! Great work.

Thanks! These cars and making them pretty is worse then my crack habit!! :eek: :D

powder coat or paint?looks nice.real clean.

The intake, Valve covers, Doghouse, TB, and some of the brackets are all coated. Along with the hard lines. I did spray bomb a few things but I even powder coated the intercooler and brackets. Powder is the way to go. Looks great and lasts forever!

Looks good brother!

Thank you sir! :)

Nice work. I was gonna chime in about the PM area but it's been covered. I'm working on a similar project as well...:smile:

Yea that PM is nasty and trust me I'm gonna be all over that sucker once I get the car in the other bay pulled in so I have some room to work on it. I'm just glad it works!

When you wanna do mine:D :D as i posted on the other board looks great night and day from what it was

If I had the room and garage space I would love to do this to GN's. I can take these engines apart and put them back together with a blind fold anymore :) It's fun to do and even more enjoyable to take it out and show it.

I got an awesome compliment on Saturday at Kirban's open house on my 87 GN. A guy walked up to me and said he looked at every car there (was over 45 turbo Buicks) and he said I had the best looking engine bay out of all of them. At least that makes me feel I did something right! :cool:

Looks good Jim...Even by my standards ;) Dave
By the way,did you ceramic coat the bolts and springs that attach the downpipe to the elbow on the turbo?

Very nice, wish mine was that clean. Already thinking that next winter I will probably remove as much as I can and clean it, but probably cheap out and just spray paint whatever I can.

Looks good Jim...Even by my standards ;) Dave
By the way,did you ceramic coat the bolts and springs that attach the downpipe to the elbow on the turbo?

Thanks Dave! I'm getting it ready for when I move to Canada again so I can park next to yours at the shows! :p :D Dave I ceramic coated the headers, cross over, down pipe, turbo elbow, and all the nuts and bolts as well including those springs and bolts for the down pipe to turbo. The ceramic coating is a little softer then powder so it went back in with ease. I can't wait to see how it holds up a few years down the line should look the same! :cool:

Very nice, wish mine was that clean. Already thinking that next winter I will probably remove as much as I can and clean it, but probably cheap out and just spray paint whatever I can.

Thanks! Spray bomb is nice but it only last about 2 years and it starts looking like crap again. That's what started me on this mission. If you find a local powder coater I'm sure you can work a deal with him if you take him a bunch of stuff to do. The nice part is you powder once and your done for good! :)