My 87 GN. cruise, air, 10.55 ET, 21 mpg.

This car is actually better looking in person. Even the entire undercarriage has the same attention to detail as everywhere else. As much attention to detail as I've ever seen in any car.

I admire your craftmanship and attention to details. Do you have any pictures of the interior?

Page #2

My one off turbo shield.
---------------------------
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/fa...n/305748-my-custom-aluminun-turbo-shield.html
GNenginebrushedalt029.jpg

My one piece rear bumper fillers, and smoothed steel bumpers
---------------------------------------------------------------------
See post #8 http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/sh...air/299465-bumper-fillers-abs-fiberglass.html

P1010021-1.jpg

P1010021-2.jpg

How do you fit a big tire under a lowered car, without notching the frame? Also, make it ride nice, handle good, and do 1.39 60' times?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The stance.
My car has 1" lower, Eibach springs at all four corners. Stock size wheels and tires up front. Back wheels are 8" wide with a 4 1/8" Back space. Covered with a (28" tall) 275/60/15 MT DR. This 28" tall tire brings the rear of the car back up to stock height with a big tire tucked inside. Also, gives the car a very slight rake.

015.jpg

Most people who try this combo have rubbing issues (with their tires;)). I did at first. Found out that my differential was offset to one side about half an inch from the factory. This is very common. The fix was to get Metco billet adjustable upper control arms to center the rear end under the car. This also allows you to set your pinion angle. I'll have to check my notes, but I think I've got mine set to about three degrees down. My lower control arms are from HR. I did have to grind about 1/8" off the inside of my fender lips, so as not to rub when I have a car full of people and hit a big bump. Left air bag has 10 psi. Right has 12. Bilstein shocks at all four corners. For track duty, I install cheap Comp 90/10 shocks up front, and loose the sway bar. Drag radials are run at 21 psi for street and track. This thing does 1.4x- 1.5x short times all day long on a good track. Here's it's best at Fontana last year. This was leaving off the trans brake at 20 psi.

1.39 short time.:cool:

spoolfool at Fontana - YouTube

5498956034_b43dd8bb09_o.jpg

One thing that I've done that's a bit out of the box, is that I run a 3.73 gear out back. Most gurus will say that I'm throwing away lots of performance and gas milage by doing this. On most other cars, I would agree. However, With my 28" tall tire out back, this makes the final gear ratio only about 10% lower than stock. This lower gear also alows me to run a tighter converter (2800 @ 0 boost) and still spool the turbo just fine. I run an older Art Carr 9" non lock up billet converter. I tryed one of his newer converters and wasn't very impressed. If i have to replace it, I'll probably get one of Dusty's. I leave off the trans brake with 4200 rpms @ 15 lbs of boost. slippage is only 5% at the big end. Engine is at 2300 rpms cruising at 70 mph. It gets 21 mpg. After some dyno pulls with Cal Hartline yesterday, we took it out for a cruise. Cal's comment was that "It drove just like a stocker." (other than the 500 HP at the wheels on pump gas and alky).

Happy spooling.
Mike Barnard

Fabulous car and it runs mid 10's. :cool::cool:

I'm studying your suspension work and I didn't see what posi unit you were using. I've already crushed one Eaton unit and looks like #2 is in trouble.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Phil Engle

I admire your craftmanship and attention to details. Do you have any pictures of the interior?

Don't think I've ever taken a interior pic. It's clean and looks very stock. I'll try and get a pic when I get a chance.

Mike B.

Fabulous car and it runs mid 10's. :cool::cool:

I'm studying your suspension work and I didn't see what posi unit you were using. I've already crushed one Eaton unit and looks like #2 is in trouble.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Phil Engle

Nothing special. Ten year old Eaton with a stud kit. Noisy Richmond 3.73 ring and pinion. Billet (Tom's) axles. All work done by J and S Gear, here in Huntington Beach. They do nice work. They may have upgraded the fasteners, but can't remember.

Mike B.

Nothing special. Ten year old Eaton with a stud kit. Noisy Richmond 3.73 ring and pinion. Billet (Tom's) axles. All work done by J and S Gear, here in Huntington Beach. They do nice work. They may have upgraded the fasteners, but can't remember.

Mike B.

Thanks for the reply.

I have some studying to do.

Your car is impressive. Plan on having my paint touched up and color sanded this summer.

Thanks guys.:)
Got a new TB part that I've been working on for 6 months. Been keeping it a secret. Hope to show it off at the next get together. I feel confedent that it will be the coolest TB project that I've ever done. More to come...

Mike B.

Mike, did you have to use tuner lugs with those rims? If so are they OK at the track?

Mike, did you have to use tuner lugs with those rims? If so are they OK at the track?

Many 1.4-1.5 short times at the track. Even a 1.39. No issues with track tech. Lug nuts were provided with my Budnik wheels. You'd have to call them on specs. Lugs are open on the top, so my longer studs go about 3/4" past the end of the lug. Hole in the wheel that they go into is a 13/16" dia. Hope this helps.

Mike B.