My 87 GN. cruise, air, 10.55 ET, 21 mpg.

Page #2

My one off turbo shield.
---------------------------
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/fa...n/305748-my-custom-aluminun-turbo-shield.html
GNenginebrushedalt029.jpg

I have the same gears too and I'm told I should go back to stock gears.
What gear are you leaving it in is it 3rd or OD ? My engine still has the stock cam and heads in fact the engine is completely stock minus mods other than the engine. Do they make a drag a radial that tall?

My one piece rear bumper fillers, and smoothed steel bumpers
---------------------------------------------------------------------
See post #8 http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/sh...air/299465-bumper-fillers-abs-fiberglass.html

P1010021-1.jpg

P1010021-2.jpg

How do you fit a big tire under a lowered car, without notching the frame? Also, make it ride nice, handle good, and do 1.39 60' times?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The stance.
My car has 1" lower, Eibach springs at all four corners. Stock size wheels and tires up front. Back wheels are 8" wide with a 4 1/8" Back space. Covered with a (28" tall) 275/60/15 MT DR. This 28" tall tire brings the rear of the car back up to stock height with a big tire tucked inside. Also, gives the car a very slight rake.

015.jpg

Most people who try this combo have rubbing issues (with their tires;)). I did at first. Found out that my differential was offset to one side about half an inch from the factory. This is very common. The fix was to get Metco billet adjustable upper control arms to center the rear end under the car. This also allows you to set your pinion angle. I'll have to check my notes, but I think I've got mine set to about three degrees down. My lower control arms are from HR. I did have to grind about 1/8" off the inside of my fender lips, so as not to rub when I have a car full of people and hit a big bump. Left air bag has 10 psi. Right has 12. Bilstein shocks at all four corners. For track duty, I install cheap Comp 90/10 shocks up front, and loose the sway bar. Drag radials are run at 21 psi for street and track. This thing does 1.4x- 1.5x short times all day long on a good track. Here's it's best at Fontana last year. This was leaving off the trans brake at 20 psi.

1.39 short time.:cool:

spoolfool at Fontana - YouTube

5498956034_b43dd8bb09_o.jpg

One thing that I've done that's a bit out of the box, is that I run a 3.73 gear out back. Most gurus will say that I'm throwing away lots of performance and gas milage by doing this. On most other cars, I would agree. However, With my 28" tall tire out back, this makes the final gear ratio only about 10% lower than stock. This lower gear also alows me to run a tighter converter (2800 @ 0 boost) and still spool the turbo just fine. I run an older Art Carr 9" non lock up billet converter. I tryed one of his newer converters and wasn't very impressed. If i have to replace it, I'll probably get one of Dusty's. I leave off the trans brake with 4200 rpms @ 15 lbs of boost. slippage is only 5% at the big end. Engine is at 2300 rpms cruising at 70 mph. It gets 21 mpg. After some dyno pulls with Cal Hartline yesterday, we took it out for a cruise. Cal's comment was that "It drove just like a stocker." (other than the 500 HP at the wheels on pump gas and alky).

Happy spooling.
Mike Barnard

Black Air,
I leave the trans in "D" for track duty. I go through the traps at 126 mph and about 6200 rpms. My car has a bigger cam, ported heads and intake. Your stock heads, cam and valve springs would not be happy at those rpms. I feel that my car comes out of the hole better with the 3.73 gear and taller tire. IMO, I'm picking up a tenth or so of ET, but giving away 1 or 2 mph at the end. As said before. If you think about it, the 3.73 gear allows me to run a tighter (more efficient) converter, and a taller tire, and still have about the same over all final gear ratio. With my combo, it's really not that much different. It keeps things very streetable too.

3.73 history: Running this gear in our cars was quite popular about 15 years ago. Looking back. I think it was a bandaid to try and make big, slow spooling turbos streetable without having to go to a unstreetable converter. Now days, Turbos and converters are both more efficient.

Just different ways to skin a cat.:)

Mike Barnard

Here's my best ET on the left and best MPH on the right.

Mike B.

Mike with that 6.63 1/8 mile time you have low 10 second capability and maybe a 9...
How cool would that be...one of THE nicest GNs out there running a 9........

Bryan

Black Air,
I leave the trans in "D" for track duty. I go through the traps at 126 mph and about 6200 rpms. My car has a bigger cam, ported heads and intake. Your stock heads, cam and valve springs would not be happy at those rpms. I feel that my car comes out of the hole better with the 3.73 gear and taller tire. IMO, I'm picking up a tenth or so of ET, but giving away 1 or 2 mph at the end. As said before. If you think about it, the 3.73 gear allows me to run a tighter (more efficient) converter, and a taller tire, and still have about the same over all final gear ratio. With my combo, it's really not that much different. It keeps things very streetable too.

3.73 history: Running this gear in our cars was quite popular about 15 years ago. Looking back. I think it was a bandaid to try and make big, slow spooling turbos streetable without having to go to a unstreetable converter. Now days, Turbos and converters are both more efficient.

Just different ways to skin a cat.:)

Mike Barnard

Yeah I just need to keep my "Rs" down while running a stock cam and need taller tires that fit in order to run those gears, or back to 3.42s while keeping the tire and wheel rubbing to a minimal.

What's this super secret project? Lol

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Got a few things I've been working on. Hope to be able to talk about some of them in the next few weeks. I don't like to let the cat out of the bag until things are final, or people will be bugging the crap out of me to finish. I don't like to rush stuff. It's done when it's done. Whatever I do will be of very nice quality, Made in the USA and priced fair. Here's one I can show you. It's the intercooler bracket I just did for my SLIC. Not for sale.

More to come.
Mike B.

Very nice, I was just curious because you said you had a project that you were going to release back in 2012. But like always awesome awesome work.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Beautiful car, Mike.
I absolutely LOVE your bumper fillers. I love the craftsmanship and detail that you put into them. I really appreciate well designed things like this and like you, I'm a pretty fussy guy. I bought a set of 100$ eBay 'specials' for the rear and man, am I sorry I did. I should've returned them. I have them taped up to the car while I figure out what I'm going to do. They don't fit at all and are poorly made. They also don't meet each other in the center. The people who made these should be ashamed of themselves! I'm a body guy so its not impossible for me to repair and work these things over so they'll look good but I'm going to have countless hours in these sub-standard things. I should just forget it and save for a set of yours!

Dan,
Welcome to the site and thanks for the bump. I've got a few updates to do to this thread in the next few weeks. In regards to the bumper fillers; you need to decide if the Ebay specials will meet your needs. If they don't, I have fillers in stock, ready to ship. Just let me know.

Happy spooling.:)

Mike Barnard

Dan,
Welcome to the site and thanks for the bump. I've got a few updates to do to this thread in the next few weeks. In regards to the bumper fillers; you need to decide if the Ebay specials will meet your needs. If they don't, I have fillers in stock, ready to ship. Just let me know.

Happy spooling.:)

Mike Barnard

Mike,
Thank you :) and yes, I'll definitely let you know. I'm going to play with these ones a little and see how they look, for now. Unless I get the money up quicker :) I'll look forward to the updates in this thread as well!

Sweet is an understatement.

Mike's talent and attention to detail in regard to the cosmetics and cool factor of this car coupled with the very same attention to detail on the drive train provided by Lou Czarnota = One incredible ride........

One day I hope to bring my little Turbo Regal up to such a standard.

I will get there, someday........... :):sneaky::)