You can type here any text you want

My Buick vs. a deer

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

KevinB

Last night I drove my car to the track to get some times on my M/T dr's. Had a pretty successful night with my best time being a 10.1. This was on a slippery track and 275/60/15 dr's. I was going to go for a 9 second pass, but decided not to b/c nothing was broke....success enough:wink:

Anyways on the way home I hitting a freaking deer:mad: Damn thing jumped right in front of me! I was only going about 30 or so....good thing b/c I was just hauling ass seconds ago through some twisties (believe it or not, my car still handles good:smile: )

Here are the carnage pics:
Looks like I will need to replace the header panel, headlight bezel, bumper filler and bumper (time for fiberglass:biggrin: ) Thank God for insurance!
wreck1.jpg

Still has some hair on the bumper...
deerhair.jpg

deer carnage

Glad your ok. Car looks to be repairable. If you had the lightweight mini alluminum brackets and fiberglass bumper I wonder what the sustained damage would have been. :confused: As in how heavy the deer was and what speed the impact was at. I am thinking if the heavy duty bumper was not there that it would have caused alot more damage. Probably about another foot or two back in the engine compartment.

I am thinking if the heavy duty bumper was not there that it would have caused alot more damage. Probably about another foot or two back in the engine compartment.

thats why I would never run a glass bumper on a street car :eek:

thats why I would never run a glass bumper on a street car :eek:

You guys are making me think twice on the fiberglass bumper. I might have lost alot more ie front mount, core support, hood, radiator, etc.......

You guys are making me think twice on the fiberglass bumper. I might have lost alot more ie front mount, core support, hood, radiator, etc.......

Kevin I have pieced out a few race cars with glass bumpers ... they were all cracked from parking the car using the "braille" method :eek: they don't take much at all ... never mind "Bambi" :p are you turning that in to your Ins. Co ???

Tis the season! We do about 15 Deer insurance claims a year. As far as steel bumper with an aluminum support compared to Fiberglass my opinion is that in over a 45 MPH accident there isn't a whole lot more damage then just having a glass bumper. It may look less but a damaged hood or fender is just that. Just the amount of damage changes.

Glad your ok.

Kevin I have pieced out a few race cars with glass bumpers ... they were all cracked from parking the car using the "braille" method :eek: they don't take much at all ... never mind "Bambi" :p are you turning that in to your Ins. Co ???

Probably will. I have been paying for insurance for years and now have the chance to get some of my money back:)

Unfortunate accident but I've seen much much worse when it comes to run-ins with deer so I'd say you got fairly lucky. Just the other night I was out for a drive and came up to a stretch of forest and kept it at about 25mph just scanning the treeline for any movement.

Ya know some people may not believe that you have a TSM "STREET" car....lol

Nobody thinks you can drive a 9 second TSM car around.. Way to show those deer who is boss..lol

Ya know some people may not believe that you have a TSM "STREET" car....lol

Nobody thinks you can drive a 9 second TSM car around.. Way to show those deer who is boss..lol

Keeping the STREET in tSm:cool: Gotta love those hydro cams;)

I don't think I could live with a "race only" car. I have just as much, if not more, fun on the street. The C16 gets a little $$$$$. Future plans include an alchy system for the street:D Anyways, I think I might be done with the car for the year. It needs some work for next year's TSM series (cage, built tranny, suspension and now bodywork:frown: ) All in all, I'm happy with it for the year....broke into the 9's....didn't brake any parts doing it either (75 high 9 and low 10 second passes!!)

There's a loaded header panel on eBay right now in Columbiana, OH. You need it worse than me. It's maroon.

I have a co-worker that was riding his Harley and had a deer jump off of an embankment and land on his arms when he was doing 45-50 mph.:eek: The deer crushed her (doe) ribs on his gas tank and took him straight off the bike. A guy driving towards him saw the deer jump and then saw his Harley drive past him with no one on it!:eek: He stopped and was freaked out 'cause there was SOOO much blood (from the deer) The Paramedics were calling in a helicopter for Evac and then realized that all the blood was from the deers punctured lungs!! He was still SERIOUSLY hurt with internal bruising and other internal injuries. I am AMAZED that he survived! Hitting a 200+ lb deer at 45-50 mph with your chest. Not something I would want to do.

Glad your car survived as well as it did. Is this the 911 call you made after you hit the deer? :biggrin: YouTube - very funny 911 call

Kevin,
Sorry to hear about your car. It can be replaced but the Infamous KFB cannot...What kind of 60 foots did you get out of the DR's? How much tire pressure?
A fan,
Ed

glad your ok things could have been alot worse. shouldnt be to bad fixing her up. this reminds me of the time my brother ran over one in his TA. that wasnt pretty'

Kevin,
Sorry to hear about your car. It can be replaced but the Infamous KFB cannot...What kind of 60 foots did you get out of the DR's? How much tire pressure?
A fan,
Ed

WTF, I'm infamous now Mr. Muchacho???:tongue: ;)

I did a low 1.6 60' on the dr's at 16.5 psi. Launched it at about 15 psi. Next run I tried launching at 25 psi. Needless to say the car did not move when i released the tbrake button. It just blew the tires off :D

Always have been Kevin:D I think that can be attributed to Tommy (the Infamous part...) Sounds like it may be time for a boost controller if you're gonna keep playing around with the DR's. (It'll only add to the legend...)
Still a fan;)
Ed

Back