My car is no longer all GM

cherp22

A little dusty from sitting, going to clean and paint it tomorrow then put it in. 35 spline moser 9", 1/2" studs, detroit locker, 4.11's. Its amazing how much of a tank this rear was compared to my GN rear or a 12 bolt. The axle tubes are twice the size, its great!!!!

Morning...
100_0684.jpg

Brunch time....
100_0686.jpg

Dinner time...
100_0694.jpg

Yep, I have wanted one for this car for 6 years, you damn right I am going to post everywhere.... :biggrin:

8.5 is tough. Axles are not. I went the same route. For the work to put 9" housing ends, matching axles, labor etc, I found a real good deal on a new complete braced bolt in 9" that made it cost effective to just put it in and have a piece that is the last thing I am worried about braking. 35 spline axles are pretty stout. And the geometry was much improved as a by product.

But now my car is part Ferd! :eek: :redface:

cherp22 said:
A little dusty from sitting, going to clean and paint it tomorrow then put it in. 35 spline moser 9", 1/2" studs, detroit locker, 4.11's. Its amazing how much of a tank this rear was compared to my GN rear or a 12 bolt. The axle tubes are twice the size, its great!!!!

Looks tough. What motor is in your Monte SS?
Oh and if you want to sell that girdled cover from the 8.5 I'm interested. I've been looking for one. Let me know.

TIA

My GN has had a Ford 9" in it since it was new. For some reason this was the original owner's first mod to the car. Don't know why he spent $2000 to convert it back then.

JC
783913_39_full.jpg

The car has a 13.1 468, 710 roller, ported gm heads (2.30/1.88 valves), all 4340 eagle rotator, brodix intake, 1050 dominator carb. Also, the 8.5 rear is already gone and sold, it went extremely quick.

Nothing was wrong with the 8.5. I maybe put 20 miles on it. Everything was brand new drum to drum. Bought it off of Nick from Chicago off of this message board as a matter of fact. Mainly I was worried about the axles. Just like disco said I didn't want to put all the money into the 8.5 when I got such a deal on the 9" and the driveshaft. I was scared of an axle breaking (c clips) on the launch off the t-brake. Im sure it wouldn't have right away, but it would have been in my mind and I wouldn't want to tear my car up. This was the best thing for me to do.

Also I cleaned it up and painted it today. Ready to go in...

I had the same dilemma about the rear for my new Stage 2/turbo 400 w/ transbrake driveline. I opted to stay with the 8.5 rear and upgrade it to 35 spline axles/spool/c-clip eliminators. I have watched countless passes, many on the bumper (Cotton's car) for a few years without breaking.....9" is the ultimate though :)

Yeah the 9" is the all around best choice. I have one in my '31 Ford. I'm not concerned about the extra weight because the car is so light.

I had a Pro Street '67 Chevy II with a Narrowed 8.5. Changed it to a Dana 60 not realizing the 8.5 is as strong as a 12 bolt. I guess I had that who would narrow a 10 bolt mentality. :confused:

cherp your Monte sounds like a Beast. Good Luck with it. :cool: