My first street loss!

DynamicGN

I was on the turnpike with the trunk and backseat full of luggage as my friend and I were heading back to Gainesville for school from Miami. I see a red Twin Turbo Supra infront of me so I decide to get a closer look. As I switched lanes to look at his car, he takes off. I floor it too but by that time he was long gone. That took me by surprise so I got up next to him and told him to slow down since we were cruising at 80 the first time.(Supras are very fast top end as you all know) I tried to get him to slow down but he wouldnt go under 60 mph (maybe because we were on the turnpike, or maybe because the slower we started off, the better chance I had) whatever It may be we sayed "go"at 60...I pulled infront of him for 1 car length, for about 3 to 4 seconds, then out of nowhere he passed me very fast, and then just kept on pulling. I hit the brakes when he was 3 cars up because of traffic, but he would have pulled alot more had the race been more than 5 or 6 seconds...I was shocked at this, cause no one has ever beat me, and not only did he beat me, he went to town on me, so I yelled through the window, "What are you running"..He hollers back as he gets off on the exit, "780 Rear Wheel Horsepower" with a grin. I laughed cause he has 300 more horsepower than I have so I didnt feel that bad, plus thats the fastest car that i have ever seen on the roads...I didnt see any guages, all he had were nice rims, and a big front mount with exhaust. He didnt look as fast as he was. Well I met my match and my hat goes off to him and his car. I always knew there were faster cars out there, I finally found one, but not many can top our GN's, still, you can't win them all.

There is no shame in losing to a Supra. That is especially so if it is a modded Supra, from a roll, while you a driving an aerodynamic brick.

Regardless, you did well to keep up with him like you did. Time to get a ball bearing turbo or better yet a Stage II and then find him again ;)

I like the "near stock" appearing Supras myself. This is the case even more so if they are highly modded. It seems the guy had taste!

YES SUPRAS are really EXTREME cars when they are MODIFY but you have a SUPER WILD car and a good set up, but running out of INJECTORS you need a lot BIGGER ones (72s or 83s ) and next time you will be ahead till over 120 mph but he will pick it up after on the top end side if there is enough ROAD infront or if he still wants to go . ;)

Should have told him to get off at the next exit, and then do it from a stop.

Supra's are sweet, maybe some day I will have one

Local guy here had one at the track a few weeks ago. Looked stock other than wheels (and under the hood). He laid down a 11.01 at 134mph on drag radials. When it started pulling, he hazed the dr's thru 3rd gear...

:)

Doesn't suprise me that guy spun like he did. Supras are worthless from a stop; that is, at least as far as traction goes.

Originally posted by NicksBuickT
no shame in loosing to a 780 hp car..however supras are dyno queens in my opinion

not only are they dyno queens but they also can't hook worth a damn with that IRS...that's why it takes them 134 mph to run a low 11...damn 134 mph in a turbo buick is like a low 10 high 9...

I taped a race between an 89 supercharged mustang and a modded 94 supra. I was following, driving the camera car while my friend video taped. I was driving a 97 mustang (turd) GT owned by the supercharged mustang owner and I kept up with the supra till he spooled up in 2nd and spun the tires hard enough to smoke them at 45-50mph and leave about 150 feet of posi marks. It was cool to watch.

Originally posted by VIRGIN87T
Originally posted by 1ARUNEM
he hazed the dr's thru 3rd gear...

That must have been an awesome sight:eek:

they arent spinning because of power..

theyre spinning because the suspension SUCKS for drag racing..

"not only are they dyno queens but they also can't hook worth a damn with that IRS...that's why it takes them 134 mph to run a low 11...damn 134 mph in a turbo buick is like a low 10 high 9..."

I have a turbo Regal and love it, but I would rather take 11.5 seconds to go 134mph than to 115 or so. You gotta hand it to
modern 4 valve combustion chambers, stock bulletproof lower
ends, 6 sp trannys, and mostly, areodynamics. I am not a fan of
the jellybean look, but it works. My 95 9C1 police Caprice with
148+k plus on the original LT1 (260 rated hp) will do 140+ and
still get 25+ mpg on the highway. It sure is ugly, though! What I
like about the Regal is that it looks like a CAR, can go like stink to
125 or so. I have had it up to about 140, and it got there quite fast, but, even with stiffer springs, shocks, and good tires, it had NO business doing 140. Even on the arrow straight road that I did this on, I would have left the ground if I did'nt back off. My brother's '86 Porsche 928 feels fine at 140 but of course, it take a lot longer to get there. Sorry to ramble on, but the Buick Regal/GN
is a basic GM design with lot of beans under hood, a hot rod.
The last gen Toyota Supra was a total package with power, but with a car that could handle it. Of course, I think that car went
for about $40k+ when new.

So, don't feel bad!

Yea, I dont feel that bad considering hes got 300 more horses than I have...I did hang with him for a lil bit, so that feels cool.

they also can't hook worth a damn with that IRS
Has nothing to do with the IRS. I have IRS and 300hp less than that Supra and cut mid-1.40s 60'. Their problem is the massive turbo(s) and cams they run to get that top-end works against them trying to launch a high-revving 3.0L engine in a 3600lb with a 3.15 final drive. BTW, I run a 3.07 so the light weight and LC2 low-torque makes all the difference.

The car you ran into sounds like the Orland-based car ownd by Jesus, but he has more HP than that unless he was trying to bait you :D. MOF I think he now has a tag that says "1000HP". To my knowledge, the quickest ET is 10.50 @ 142 :eek:

No wonder you lost. How could you possibly beat Jesus?? Hehe... :)

I see alot of people with signs saying he is their "copilot". Must be a pretty popular guy.. or a great tuner..

Been a long day... DOH..

What scares me is that in Austin there is a traction limited very very low 9 second Supra...eeek :eek: !! And it's not the only one out there...