My Fuel System Parts List

Ya its a rare find that pic..wish I could take a pic of the line i bent up , but I would have to pull the tank. The weldon pump pushes a huge volume on the bypass side so it could create alot of turbulence in the sump, this would cause air bubbles in the fuel as the tank runs lower.

I was planning on not running my tank low with this setup, but I may run a hose out of the baffle- that's not a bad idea! The pickup is the large straight pipe and the return is the angled one, so I don't think it will create bubbles, but it might create a giant whirlpool in the baffle :cool:

You can use a bulkhead fitting and run the return anywhere you want, as long as you can reach the fitting through the sending unit hole. You can also drill a hole in the filler neck and tap it and install a return line there. If you buy a new tank, then just weld a NPT fitting on it and place the return anywhere away from the pick-up. A 90* -6JIC bulkhead fitting with a dowdy seal on the top and bottom will seal it up great. Just be sure to drill the hole on a flat surface so the seals work. You can wled on the original tank, just make SURE it is empty and rinsed out about 5 times, then put a bunch of dry ice inside or purge with argon while TIGGING the fittings on. Be careful. Some guys run a hose from their exhaust pipe into the tank while welding. (Ya, the vehicle MUST be running......DUH!) But many of those guys weren't smart enough to do it outside and died from carbon monoxide poisoning.:eek::p

Tried to figure out where to mount this thing and have room to wrench on it to tighten the lines to it and here's where I ended up. I used real thin aluminum since I can cut it with scissors to mess around with it quickly.

I had to flip the aeromotive bracket and drill new holes in it.

4lh5m29

Plenty of room for the -6 going back and a 90 over to the fuel rail running in front of the master and behind the alternator.

4fvc8es

GNS front cover came in handy today! While I was in there, decided to upgrade the thottle body to a 70mm accufab and angle boss so I can run my 4 inch intake tube.

49mly4j

Looks great, I love the bracket for mounting the reg. I also really like the serp belt in the vice idea!

The long piece is a little too flimsy, so I'll use a thicker piece, I'm just using scraps I have laying around the garage.

The parts list is probably 75% different now :eek: The Weldon filters and pump are AN straight Oring fittings. So, more parts will be ordered after I get the pump so I can get angles and everything at once. Here's the plan with a precise autocad quality draft of what I'll make a neon green filter holder of with aluminum and a few purple bolts :biggrin:

4tn8349

More parts arrived including the oring fittings to complete the fuel pressure regulator, waiting on the -6 stock rail return adapter so I can cut the hose to length and start making connections.

One of the filters is -12 so I'll have to reduce it down to -10 to fit the hose and adapters I already have.

4m3z5l7

In the meantime, I picked up a 70mm Accufab from Hartline. Scoured the internet and snagged a 4.5 feet of 4 inch industrial intake hose for less than $30- it is hard to cut the rubber webbing with a sharp razor knife, the same knife that can cut through double-corregated card board like butter, and you'll need bolt cutters to cut the wire its bound with.

4v7ur76

4qxvm3q

Hmm, no maf...

Got around to painting the adapter and I think I'll mount the regulator supported by a bracket off the EGR bolt/stud. Just a -6 90 to the side port and a -6 90 hose end fed up through the back of the engine. Maybe Sat I'll be able to plumb some line and get everything done but the pump install, which is still backordered.

4s5v3u3

4gyvl6p

I think I'm going to build an aluminum plate to hang down where the factory muffler would have been and run an S shaped setup like this one I found:

fuelb1.jpg

That last pic looks real clean, I like it. Got to love those Weldon filters and all those fittings. They look killer! By the way, mad CAD skills you got there! ;)

Looks great! I'm going to have to make an adaptor to mount that regulator directly to the fuel rail, just a bit higher than stock to allow room for the return. That's a great way to do it though. You could also just fab a bracket that picks up the two stock regulator bolts. Send it back and I can weld it right to the existing rail adaptor,too. (but I'm sure some local TIG wleder could do it for just a few bucks, too.) Be sure to use a back-up wrench when ever you torque any fuel fitting. (a wrench on both sides of a fitting.)

Yeah I plan on taking the regulator off the rail when I attach the return line and definitely a big wrench on the housing when adjusting the psi nut so it supported. I'll see how it goes and if it needs more support than a bracket off the EGR stud I'll have it welded up to the rail too. Thanks!

Just ordered another $150 in fittings, hopefully this is the final order. Going to put together a revised parts list and total price for the system...

Just ordered another $150 in fittings, hopefully this is the final order. Going to put together a revised parts list and total price for the system...

That'll hurt a little, huh? :biggrin:

Those fittings are crazy money and are oftentimes the most expensive part of a project!

The aeroquip TFE hose ends are a piece of cake to install!!! Took less than a minute to get this on. Slide on the female hose end piece, peel back 1/4 inch of braid with tiny screwdriver, slide compression fitting on, seat fitting on table to the inside lip, push a punch in to radius the edge of the teflow liner (gently), lube threads and male tube end, press together, slide threads on and twist with two 11/16 wrenches to get started, put hose in vise so it doesn't turn, tighten to 30 thousandths between nut and hose end hex head.

4jkbr9e

Up next, cut the straight end so the dowty seal can fit up to the factory rail's feed.

4lo9lyo

My 90" hose end isn't going to work, it runs into the metal vacuum lines. Ordering a -8 coupler to extend it out some. Thinking of running it around with the return line since its pretty easy to plumb and relatively straight shot to the back.

4sbxzbx

Cut a few threads off the adapter. The aluminum is really soft, a cutting wheel cuts like butter. I used some cheap chinese files to makes sure the threads are deburred and the inside of the tube smooth too.

4g8brv7

I went to measure the return line to at least get that done to the tank and guess what, the tank had more rust that I thought under the strap, screwdriver went right through. Time to order a new gas tank. Time for beer! So far this project has been sponsored by 18 Coors lights and 18 Sam Adams Winter Lagers and one Sam Adams Light...