You can type here any text you want

Mystery Low Oil Pressure

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I cracked my block running low tens with 116, head clamps and a girdle.

You would think that would set the knock detector off with that type of force. No?
Im gonna pull it and inspect everything... Meanwhile, getting a cage and if I have a worse case scenario, then im going the TA route.
Just hard to believe that a block that was professionally gone through would only last to the mid high 10's and break.
Im not ruling it out, but I will know for sure and update everyone.
Thanks guys

You would think that would set the knock detector off with that type of force. No?
Im gonna pull it and inspect everything... Meanwhile, getting a cage and if I have a worse case scenario, then im going the TA route.
Just hard to believe that a block that was professionally gone through would only last to the mid high 10's and break.
Im not ruling it out, but I will know for sure and update everyone.
Thanks guys
the knock sensor only reports knock at certain frequencies. There's no point in speculating anymore. Tear it down and see what you find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully it's something on the lessor side and not a block. My knock sensor should have been going crazy before my engine self destructed but it wasn't.

Makes me a little nervous now since I'm doing a stroker build.

Good luck and hopefully it's a simple fix.

Been real busy with advanced physics class.
I took it out yesterday and it ran like normal. Oil is at 70psi at WOT.

Good news! I hope to have my long block back in a couple weeks. Then need to measure for push rods and start final assembly.

I pulled the oil cooler off to bypass it with smaller filter and Lost prime. I cut all my filters and never had any problems.

As these car get older, new and weird issues are happening that we have never seen, and some, like yours defy the common logic to solve.

Reading through the entire thread again and all the items you have examined and checked bring me to a point of what would be my next move?

Since you have an off-and on-again issue with oil pressure, before I would pull the engine, replacing the timing cover/oil pump would determine if something is amiss with the cover like a crack or something worn out.

At least this would determine if is an internal engine/block issue or not.

If you do not have a spare cover/pump, I will be glad to loan you a known good one if you decide to go that route.

As these car get older, new and weird issues are happening that we have never seen, and some, like yours defy the common logic to solve.

Reading through the entire thread again and all the items you have examined and checked bring me to a point of what would be my next move?

Since you have an off-and on-again issue with oil pressure, before I would pull the engine, replacing the timing cover/oil pump would determine if something is amiss with the cover like a crack or something worn out.

At least this would determine if is an internal engine/block issue or not.

If you do not have a spare cover/pump, I will be glad to loan you a known good one if you decide to go that route.

It sure is great to know there are good people like you here to help Nick!

I had the same type of issue, losing prime. As long as I pre-lubed it was all good. Engine lost prime after 90 mins. Finally pulled the engine. Engine builder said bearings were perfect. My guess it was a front cover. Take Nick up on the offer.

Walter

U say it's a stroker 109 , I'am not a expert but I have read where they will sleeve the oil galleries after the block is clearanced for the stroker assy , not sure if this apply's to your build if so you might have a look at it :)

U say it's a stroker 109 , I'am not a expert but I have read where they will sleeve the oil galleries after the block is clearanced for the stroker assy , not sure if this apply's to your build if so you might have a look at it :)

Good point. The oil gallery is usually .060 thick after grinding it for clearance on the blocks I have done. I grind the head on the rod bolt slightly so I don't have to grind as much on the block. If the block is thin, it may have cracked. If it was ground all the way through and has a sleeve in it already, it may be sucking air.

I had a similar loss in oil pressure with my weber stroker motor and it turned out to be a cracked block from the main cap saddle up to the cam just as Nick micale described. I have now gone the TA block route. I hope it is just a front cover issue.

UPDATE:
I have oil pressure again!!!!!
I cannot pinpoint what it actually was, but I do know that it was debris somewhere in the oiling system that has dislodged itself. I swapped from the little filter to the adapter and big oil filter then fired it up....65PSI at idle cold and 35PSI at a hot idle. Im guessing it had to do with the oil pressure spring galley?

Anyway, I have driven it all over and boosted it many times and it is officially FIXED!!!!

good to hear…. thanks for the update. i have been following this thread and awaiting an outcome.

aaron

Back