You can type here any text you want

need advice

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

T- Type Tim

Vice Chairman
I'm putting the finishing touches on my car. Right now I have one coil cut on the stock front springs, and beltech lowering springs on the rear. heres the problem:

The front end sits so low the downpipe actually hits the passenger upper control arm. I'm suprised I have'nt heard of this before.

Anyway, do I put stock height springs in and dropped spindles? Or do I just return it to stock height all around?

Thanks for the replies

i had same problem and it turned out to be the motor mounts aslo install a torque strap mine had the driver mount shot so the engine would lift and hit the pass upper a arm:biggrin:

Ditch the BellTech spindles, use MOOG 5658 front springs, stock spindles, and install new motor mounts (might as well get HR's and be done with it).

I have Belltechs rear springs and 5658 on the front. I have 27's on the front and 28"s on the rear. The car will not sit level because the taller front tire as expected. It will sit just about level with a 26" in the front. With 5413 in the rear I am level but sit 1" higher in the rear. I really like the Belltechs in the rear but the 5413's are stiffer. First photo is w/bell techs. Second is 5413's. I may cut my 5658's to keep the taller tire in the front and Belltechs rears. I HTH.

Attachments

• 100_0439.jpg
    100_0439.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 193
  • 100_0441.jpg
    100_0441.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 196
One more pic stock height.

Attachments

• 100_0391.jpg
    100_0391.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 185
I have a car with dropped spindles in the front. I wouldn't install them on a car with stock front wheels. With skinnies yes. The stockers will rub the inner wheel well. Here are the pics of "rust bucket" with dropped spindles in the front and belltechs in the rear.

Attachments

• 100_0397.jpg
    100_0397.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 204
Drop spindles by themselves should not cause the downpipe to hit the control arm.

my car sits a LOT lower than both of yours. I lowered mine by cutting the springs, I think i cut one coil out of each. Yes I know that was the incorrect way to do it, thats why the control arm rides so much higher in the suspension stroke , causing my downpipe clearance issue. Stock springs should return my stock geometry back , and the spindles should put me close to where I'm at now , with a 2" drop....... I hope...

oh the motor mounts are stock, i replaced them a couple years ago , and checked them out a few months ago when the motor was out of the car.

My black GN is under 25" in the front. It sits at 24.5. I cant remember what moog springs I have in it now but the stockers had the car on the ground. The Moog 5658 and 2" drop spindles will get to less than 24". My yellow t sits at 26" with 5658 in the front. HTH You are car does sit low :D.

Keep us posted as to how the car turns out. If you wanted it low though, I would have just done the springs/ball joint trick instead of the drop spindles. You are right though, cutting springs is the worst thing to do to your suspension.

OK, I read thru this twice and I did not read where he has drop spindles on Now. Most agree drop spindles is Not the way to go, so don't put them on. Even more agree cutting stock springs is worse. You say you are hitting the downpipe - under full compression ?? That is why cutting stock springs is bad. They do not have enough spring rate to prevent bottoming out. IMO if you want handling go to lowering springs (with a stiffer rate - you won't bottom out) or if you want straight line, go back to stock springs. ;)

I currently have cut springs and stock spindles. The downpipe hits the upper control arm when then car is lowered off the jack with just the weight of the car.... I 'll get some pics up

here you go

Attachments

• pipe 001.jpg
    pipe 001.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 133
  • pipe 002.jpg
    pipe 002.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 139
  • pipe 003.jpg
    pipe 003.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 132
Cut springs arent helping but I'm doubting that the downpipe is made correctly either. Who made the DP? Is it a 3.5"?

I have 2 down pipes i've tried to fit , both are 3". One is from Nick the other(pictured) is from Mark at TR customs. Both fit the same . Nicks has just slightlty more clearance... i think I'm going to have to get the stock a arm geometry back then lower with spindles

Why not use drop spindles? That upper control arm looks all out of whack! No wonder it is hitting the dp.

for some reason that upper control arm looks damaged bent or it might just be the pic but it looks to be bent right where the ball joint is :confused:

Back