You can type here any text you want

Need opinion on shooting somebody

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
its a real tough question to answer cause if u did in fact confront someone its likely they may not be able to escape and therefore the thief would have to use force against you to escape. when someone uses force when committing a larceny it now becomes robbery. robbery is a larceny by force. anytime u are being robbed (big difference then being burglarized) you have the right to protect urself from being harmed. they do not have to be armed to do so. that is what is referred to as a strong arm robbery. again, there are many different scenarios Bruce that could result so its kind of a loaded question. HTH

Just some info:

Robbery
a. Robbery defined. A person is guilty of robbery if, in the course of committing a theft, he:

(1) Inflicts bodily injury or uses force upon another; or

(2) Threatens another with or purposely puts him in fear of immediate bodily injury; or

(3) Commits or threatens immediately to commit any crime of the first or second degree.

An act shall be deemed to be included in the phrase "in the course of committing a theft" if it occurs in an attempt to commit theft or in immediate flight after the attempt or commission.

b. Grading. Robbery is a crime of the second degree, except that it is a crime of the first degree if in the course of committing the theft the actor attempts to kill anyone, or purposely inflicts or attempts to inflict serious bodily injury, or is armed with, or uses or threatens the immediate use of a deadly weapon.

Carjacking
Carjacking is a robbery offense, as opposed to a theft offense. Carjacking involves not only the taking or attempted unlawful taking of a motor vehicle, but also an element of violence or threat of harm to another.

NJ carjacking penalties are set forth at N.J.S.A. 2C:15-2 as follows:

a. Carjacking defined. A person is guilty of carjacking if in the course of committing an unlawful taking of a motor vehicle, as defined in R.S.39:1-1, or in an attempt to commit an unlawful taking of a motor vehicle he:

(1) inflicts bodily injury or uses force upon an occupant or person in possession or control of a motor vehicle;

(2) threatens an occupant or person in control with, or purposely or knowingly puts an occupant or person in control of the motor vehicle in fear of, immediate bodily injury;

(3) commits or threatens immediately to commit any crime of the first or second degree; or

(4) operates or causes said vehicle to be operated with the person who was in possession or control or was an occupant of the motor vehicle at the time of the taking remaining in the vehicle.

An act shall be deemed to be "in the course of committing an unlawful taking of a motor vehicle" if it occurs during an attempt to commit the unlawful taking of a motor vehicle or during an immediate flight after the attempt or commission.

b. Grading. Carjacking is a crime of the first degree and upon conviction thereof a person may, notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (1) of subsection a. of N.J.S.2C:43-6, be sentenced to an ordinary term of imprisonment between 10 and 30 years. A person convicted of carjacking shall be sentenced to a term of imprisonment and that term of imprisonment shall include the imposition of a minimum term of at least five years during which the defendant shall be ineligible for parole.

Burglary
2C:18-2. Burglary. a. Burglary defined. A person is guilty of burglary if, with purpose to commit an offense therein or thereon he:

(1) Enters a research facility, structure, or a separately secured or occupied portion thereof unless the structure was at the time open to the public or the actor is licensed or privileged to enter;

(2) Surreptitiously remains in a research facility, structure, or a separately secured or occupied portion thereof knowing that he is not licensed or privileged to do so; or

(3) Trespasses in or upon utility company property where public notice prohibiting trespass is given by conspicuous posting, or fencing or other enclosure manifestly designed to exclude intruders.

b. Grading. Burglary is a crime of the second degree if in the course of committing the offense, the actor:

(1) Purposely, knowingly or recklessly inflicts, attempts to inflict or threatens to inflict bodily injury on anyone; or

(2) Is armed with or displays what appear to be explosives or a deadly weapon.

Otherwise burglary is a crime of the third degree. An act shall be deemed "in the course of committing" an offense if it occurs in an attempt to commit an offense or in immediate flight after the attempt or commission.

Not going to get into theft because there are alot of differrent laws. Shoplifting, receiving stolen property, etc, etc all fall under theft.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

The only right answer here Bruce is that "it depends"... Depends on the circumstance and depends on the state...

Some Lib states prefer that you run away. In other states "He needed killin'" is a valid defense....;)

Check with your local district attorney for the answer in your area.

DUH!!!! We all missed the correct way to look at it. The real question is...WHAT WOULD CHUCK NORRIS DO??? LOL

:biggrin:

Shoot to protect life, not material items. You can replace material things. Simple as that. If you feel like your material item is worth more that a persons life then I feel bad for you.

It's like Dirty Harry said~ "There's nothing wrong with a little shooting as long as the right people get shot."

;):cool:

Shoot to protect life, not material items. You can replace material things. Simple as that. If you feel like your material item is worth more that a persons life then I feel bad for you.

The best answer I have read. Yea, they are scum for trying to steal something, but it is no way I would want to take a person's life over any material item like a car. I would not even put myself close enough to the person to confront them. They could have a bigger gun or have a watch out just outside of my vision. my life is for sure worth more to me then any car or material item. It sounds good to say start shooting, but I bet when the bullets start coming back at you things would change. There are always people with bigger, better and more guns than the next guy.

I always carry an extra unregistered gun with the numbr filed off,place that in the hand of the thief...:eek:

carrying an extra unregistered gun with numbers filed off, will land you in jail, then you might have to answer questions regarding any history ie. if gun was used in murder before you got it your F'ed, but a screw driver will work just the same :wink:, and criminals are know to carry them for that reason.

Going about 10 years back,

a "friend" park his motorcycle in the front of house, thief tried to seal the bike but caught in the act. the thief took a beating and ended up in the garage for a few days, where he got duct taped and continued to receive beatings until said owner of the bike was satisfied. thief was place in trunk and driven to a area where he could be safely released, and received a firm warning :biggrin:, bike continued to be parked in front of house never to be bothered again.

I have a good friend that is a very good high priced criminal lawyer, I asked him, here is his answer:

you do what you have to do to "PROTECT YOUSELF AND YOUR FAMILY" and then you tell the police, " I WANT TO COOPERATE BUT WISH TO HAVE MY LAWYER PRESENT DURING QUESTIONING/INTERVIEW" and then shut up and let me do the taking.

any good lawyer will tell you to keep your mouth shut, even if your innocent, cops are only human and occasionally although rare make mistakes and innocent people end up in jail.

I think in California that if you catch someone in the act of stealing your car you have to give them the keys so they won't hurt themselves hot wiring it.

So the Guy tried to attack you with a screw driver as he was stealing your car. You were in fear for your life. Boom.

I would love to put a remote ejector seat on mine. When they hit 60mph it would shoot them outta the t tops :biggrin:

The best answer I have read. Yea, they are scum for trying to steal something, but it is no way I would want to take a person's life over any material item like a car. I would not even put myself close enough to the person to confront them. They could have a bigger gun or have a watch out just outside of my vision. my life is for sure worth more to me then any car or material item. It sounds good to say start shooting, but I bet when the bullets start coming back at you things would change. There are always people with bigger, better and more guns than the next guy.

Might as well hand him your balls while he's stealing the rest of your stuff. They'll probably get used that way.

That's why crime is at the level it is at nowadays.

Had a couple of people milling around my pond/shop in the middle of the night right after Katrina. Yelled to them and told them to leave it was private property, they started coming my way with flashlights. I fired a couple of warning shots from one of my 12 gauges into the trees above them, amazing how fast someone can run in the middle of the night when properly motivated!

In MS the castle doctine extends to your vehicle, but only if you are in the vehicle. My understanding is the law stops protecting the property owner if their life is not in immediate danger. If you were to confront them and they attacked you certainly you would have the right to defend yourself, at least in MS.

My advice is always start with a warning shot if you are not in immediate danger, of course this works better if you live out in the country and not in the middle of a subdivision.

That's why crime is at the level it is at nowadays.

No, thats not why. I should take the time to explain a some things about crime, life, and decision making to you and others that think like you. However, I can already tell it would be a waste of time.:wink:

Back