Need/want more power!

Yeah, alot of vendors have made some coin off us gullible regal owners.

Usually running around 11.50 your stock motor, rearend and everything else is ready to blow.

I always thought it was ironic when someone would run their best pass ever and then be shocked when it blows up the next run. When you get that combo maxed out and giving you everything it can give.... you've pulled the pin.

Hmmm .. not sure I fully agree here ..

The amount of parts carnage incurred on a Turbo Buick is inversely proportional to the owner's brain cell count ..

You can run a LONG time on a 11.50 car that is basically stock with just a few well thought out mods ...
#1 on my list is a E85 conversion ... NO MOD does as much for a Turbo Buick as this ..

It has saved so many owners from themselves !

Great read with all the veteran input. Turn it up and save the 1k for broken parts or attorney fees. I'm near this combo and its kinda squirrelly as is. I'd go aftermarket ecu before power logger now days.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#1 on my list is a E85 conversion ... NO MOD does as much for a Turbo Buick as this ..

It has saved so many owners from themselves !
Man,I agree with this. Since I am sure that the number one destroyer of any head gasket on the market that I've ever used was me and that I continued to run high ignition timing for a short while after switching to E85,there's no doubt that E85 saved me from me. Along with the fast spool and the extra torque,it gives you so much bang for the buck.

There are 8 sec ls1 race cars out there for under 15 grand, so you really need to figure out what your goal is, as has been mentioned.

I have seen so many of these all over the internet and on Youtube. Funny thing though, I never see one in person. Not at the track or on the street or anywhere.

What I do see is plenty of torn-up shit sleds thrown together with junkyard LS crap from some work truck. Three bonsai passes and the fucking parts blow out the exhaust. And what's the difference? You can just go to the shit pile and get another Izzu Box Truck LS and throw that in the beater and blow that up too. Swapping out stock LS motors every time you want to wick it up to run 8's never will cost a lot of money and doesn't waste any time at all. Or does it?

What I have seen is a lot well prepared 8 second LS cars that cost every bit as much as my TR cost to put together (if not more).

Your right. He needs to figure out what his goals are. To build something he can be proud of, or just be a speed freak butcher with shit can.

I have seen so many of these all over the internet and on Youtube. Funny thing though, I never see one in person. Not at the track or on the street or anywhere.

What I do see is plenty of torn-up shit sleds thrown together with junkyard LS crap from some work truck. Three bonsai passes and the fucking parts blow out the exhaust. And what's the difference? You can just go to the shit pile and get another Izzu Box Truck LS and throw that in the beater and blow that up too. Swapping out stock LS motors every time you want to wick it up to run 8's never will cost a lot of money and doesn't waste any time at all. Or does it?

What I have seen is a lot well prepared 8 second LS cars that cost every bit as much as my TR cost to put together (if not more).

Your right. He needs to figure out what his goals are. To build something he can be proud of, or just be a speed freak butcher with shit can.

IT's more like 30-40 passes on the stock junkyard LS stuff .. and yupp they are shit piles that run 8's in the mid 150's ..
and yupp a lot of them are truck motors that are about $350 each .. and yupp they get swapped out every 30-40 passes which the guy pays $250 to have each one swapped ..

So lets add this up quick 5 motors and 5 swap overs comes out to be $3K for about 200 passes .. comes out to about $15 a pass

Now lets take a twin turbo STage 2 setup that will puke the same fate $30K build .. and I am betting anything it can't make 200 8 second passes .. that comes out to about $150 a pass .. and he is stuck with a proud car that he can just look at in the garage or have his buddy push him down the drive while he makes turbo noises ..

IT's more like 30-40 passes on the stock junkyard LS stuff .. and yupp they are shit piles that run 8's in the mid 150's ..
and yupp a lot of them are truck motors that are about $350 each .. and yupp they get swapped out every 30-40 passes which the guy pays $250 to have each one swapped ..

So lets add this up quick 5 motors and 5 swap overs comes out to be $3K for about 200 passes .. comes out to about $15 a pass

Now lets take a twin turbo STage 2 setup that will puke the same fate $30K build .. and I am betting anything it can't make 200 8 second passes .. that comes out to about $150 a pass .. and he is stuck with a proud car that he can just look at in the garage or have his buddy push him down the drive while he makes turbo noises ..
Maybe I don't get out often enough. But I still don't see those numbers adding up. And again, taking pride in your build means more than just going fast.

If you thought much differently than I, you wouldn't be here either. Nor should anyone be here. You would't bother. We would all just give up and shove rockets up our asses.

Maybe I don't get out often enough. But I still don't see those numbers adding up. And again, taking pride in your build means more than just going fast.

If you thought much differently than I, you wouldn't be here either. Nor should anyone be here. You would't bother. We would all just give up and shove rockets up our asses.

Maybe the pride is in being able to take a junkyard motor.. shove it in what you have.. run solid 8’s while
Embarassing the guy that just blew $30k on his ride.. crazy thought there

Maybe the pride is in being able to take a junkyard motor.. shove it in what you have.. run solid 8’s while
Embarassing the guy that just blew $30k on his ride.. crazy thought there
Maybe not.
No response here?

Hey NY, sounds like you did it your way and it worked out. Not many people flock to the 3.8 when they decide to swing for the fences but congrats on your success. Cubic dollars will always outrun cubic inches

As for these cars surviving around the 11.50 mark on the stock stuff, that's a great accomplishment. Seen a lot of guys not so fortunate.

Funny thing though, I never see one in person. Not at the track or on the street or anywhere.
i see them but its not as easy nor as durable nor a cost effective as many think.8 sec anything thats not super light is just tough on the whole car.

My first tranny lasted around 160k with a shift kit installed when the car was 6 months old but i never liked the way the 2-3 shift delayed and banged into gear. Bolt on mods, exhaust, Gen ll translator, 60# injectors cold air kit etc. lots of it pulling my boat. The next one lasted 15k. Got a stage 2 from Lonnie Diers and a higher stall convertor. Night and day on the way the tranny shifted. 37k on that one now and it feels brand new. It will be interesting to see how it lives now that I've rebuilt the engine and it's highly modified.

its also how much the car is from the start,take a caddy ctv 40-60k depending on when you bought,turn it up runs real good for a while then breaks.alot of guys will step up to the higher $ builds especially if they want to go faster longer or dont want to lose a money race when the squeeze is on the motor.

• If you're in control, you're not going fast enough.

Boy you can say that again!:D

My car will never run to its full potential as long as I drive it!

And when Brian drives it I do silly little things to tune it down. Like set the rev-limiter lower than he expects. The kid doesn’t know the meaning of the words “shift” and “lift” !!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

really,?how many hits and miles?how many passes?60ft range?200 dont live in the 11s stock, its a well know fact by many who have tried.

[QUOTE="Mr.Spool,]
i have seen one go 16 years and 71k, lots of street duty/racing, and 300+ passes at the track.fuel was a race gas at first, pump gas alky after that.11.40s/50s and no drama

At first I thought I was crazy but then I realized it's not me. You argue my point then a page later prove it with your statements.

At first I thought I was crazy but then I realized it's not me. You argue my point then a page later prove it with your statements.
Actually no I dont. the car I was talking about had a built 200 by late eric schertz.i said a stock 200 doesn't live.

646b47c8de5cee9f5b1f0d2952aacf70.jpg

And lest we forget, it still happens (which is why we are all here in the first place)! Add some alky and turn up the boost!!

577a88f73e1fc8f377b9188bcf306206.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk