New Buick heads up class (67 turbo, etc...)

As usual well said Bison.
Why do you need a poll? It's already there. Seems like this Kip guy is set on a 67mm turbo. If it's definately a 67mm, then it has to be a P trim. No grumpy turbo's ;)
I'm not racing this class but it should be fun to watch, also watching it grow. With the right rules this should be the highest car count.

you are after the average member that wants to run heads up and has no asspirations of being king of the class....the guy that has all the goodies and has a safe tune and is fed up with bracket racing...someone that wants to try something different and want to have Fun...thats who you are looking for...someone who can say hey I ran the THS class and had a blast...gonna do that again next year....all this talk of mid 9's and that its a racers class is already turning people away....will some run 9's yes...will most be in middle 10's I think so....will the 9's always win....who knows...until you line up and the light goes green....lets not try to kill the class before it even gets off the ground....

Its the attitude from some that think running 9.50 is easy all you need is the 67 Turbo.

what are you nuts ??!!! :eek: :p I can remember running our fist 12,11,10 and 9 sec runs ... EASY ???? NO WAY !!! been there and done it .. I do think "others" will be( or should I say the "woulda coulda shouldas" into the 9's :wink: Like I said we will be lucky to make it to BG .. Def NOT BPG .. way to hot for an old buzzard like me.. at this point we drive her car all summer and race it when it gets cool . We have more fun "busting" up the "fast" cars up here .. Have fun in the class guys !!! and with all the "big guns" jumping up and down PLEASE run in the 9's :biggrin:

This class has my interest as well.... I agree with the turbo size down around 61mm to 62mm... alky... 2004R... (transbreak (LOL :biggrin: ))....would be OK......functional A/C.... licensed/insured and street driven.....alky.... any fuel (although I would prefer pump gas... but that would be a headache to police)...... DOT approved drag radials or ET Streets OK..... etc...

Obviously TSM is a low to mid 9 sec class currently.

An all out 67mm centered class could be well into the 9's.....which IMHO....is too close to TSM......which puts you into steel crank... aftermarket rods.... girdle..... etc territiory....which puts you into the $10k 109 motors.....cause there will be plenty of those running in that class.... I would prefer to keep it a class that a stock crank... rods... pistons... stock shortblock "could" compete in... and have some small chance of survival. This ain't happening at 9.70's... which is where this class is headed in the first season.... The 67mm class is just too close to TSM... IMHO...

Keep something mid 10's.... and the dollars don't have to be "cubic dollars". Even with the 62mm new tech turbos.....I wouldn't be surprised to see a high 9 sec pass out of a lightweight TR with a billet wheeled 62 soon anyway....

Great idea..... my opinion is only one of many..... take it FWIW....

Here's a good example of what this class should be IMO!!! ~> Little Buick V6 goes 10.83 @ 124- Video

The car had the following combo~

"GT6152, PTE Stock Location, 65lbs inj, Postons Headers, ATR 3” DP & 3” Crossflow, 3000 Precision, Extreme, MAFT+ w/ Truck Maf, 206/206, Ported Irons, Champion Lower – With a 27/25 tune – 10.834 @ 124.29 with 1.567 60’ – Stock Wheels!"

This car was previously owned by a local guy named Dave Povio board member "F-1" on here and to me this was a car that was built with a very simple low budget combination that plenty of guys on here could probably afford to duplicate.

And that is exactly what my plans are with my current car Sarah.
Excellent find and thanks for that link 86brick.

Patrick

I agree racing is expensive, without a doubt! Although if "we" could keep the cost somewhat reasonable the car count would sky rocket. The guy that has a few bolt-on mods would have a class to compete in rather than watching from the stands. Keeping the turbo small would help with upfront costs as well as breakage down the road. If we open up to larger turbos like the 67 with the option to look at the rules later it will in my opinion have some of the racers changing their combinations again. Lets keep it slower for now and allow technology to get us faster. With TSM pushing 8's this class should be alot slower. This would let the turbo manufactures come up with a killer small turbo like the 61mm, pushing the limits of any good combination. If the class allows 67mm turbos they shouldn't be allowed to run Alky.

I think all cars running nine should step up to TSM!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
The banana is just as street legal as anybody's car.

On the day of the race, find out the most common turbo size. Then heads up race cars which have the same size turbo or smaller. Max size would also have to be smaller or equal to TE45a specs too.

And stock computer.

I am feeling the stock computer too.

How do we feel about electronic boost controllers?
Not allowing Innovative and AMS type units would
slow the class down and make it fit the real street car motif.

If we open up to larger turbos like the 67 with the option to look at the rules later it will in my opinion have some of the racers changing their combinations again. ............... If the class allows 67mm turbos they shouldn't be allowed to run Alky.

I would push against the 67 turbo.... there are allot of people running it currently.... true...... however.... there are allot more running the 61 class turbos..... and the 61 and 62 class turbos....would temporarily limit HP output to 10 sec only... or slower...which would make stock shortblocks possible....

I currently wouldn't fit in either... as I have a 45A turbo... and a 70 P trim.....other than that.... I would fit fairly nicely into the class... parts wise...

I really would like to see a good well thought out combo with a billet wheel 62..... and a PTC 3500 or so n/l converter (TSM style except for the 2004R).... pump gas... and alky..... see what that would do.

I am open to the iron heads....open to the stock ECM.... current max effort wideband....TT wideband.....chips OK....

Keep the ideas coming...

I am feeling the stock computer too.

How do we feel about electronic boost controllers?
Not allowing Innovative and AMS type units would
slow the class down and make it fit the real street car motif.

well guys I think the rules are already in place for this class. BUT IF they had another slower street class it "might" be better for the "11" sec guy :cool: Melissa ran for years in the mid 11s with a STOCK motor with minor bolt ons..44 Turbo,36# blue top's (hey they were the "60's" at that time) V4 intercooler... can you say CHEAP :eek: you get the point:p .. maybe start another thread and let this one die a natural death :cool:

let the class run as it is at Columbus...Kip is willing to do all the work putting this together....want to start another class..start another thread....and find someone to organize it...get a venue..talk to sponsors...talk to people that want to participate....we have seen classes come and go...TAI in BG where lots said they were interested but few showed up...my Alky class at BPG where people even contacted me with shirt sizes and only 1 collected....again if a 67 is all you need to get into the 9's then i should be there already...it takes more than a Turbo to get it done...

Dan Smith Motor Build girdled
w/ported intake and exhaust
forged crank and pistons .030 over
REV XR2 210/215 Buick hyd roller cam
1:55 Harland Sharp Roller Rockers
Comp Hyd Roller Lifters
8.225 pushrod for hyd roller cam
BEEHIVE" SPRING FOR BUICK ROLLER CAMS
Full Ball Bearing version of GT6776
HD WG actuator
Steve Monroe Throttle Body
RJC Power Plate
60lb injectors
Terry Houston Down Pipe
ATR 3" cross over
Electric cut out
ATR 2.5" SS Exhauts W/ Pitt Bull Mufflers
Precision 9" 5 disc 3000 stall convertor
MAFT PRO
Tuner Pro Chip for MAFT Pro
Power Logger
Scan Master w/update Chip
UMI uppers and lowers
PST front and rear sway bars
Eibach Springs front
Moog stock springs rear..for racing Eibachs for street
Stock Rear
200R4 Trans with all the goodies

So I guess I can say I have a 9 sec "street" car....but WE ALL KNOW having the parts does not always make it happen....

As usual well said Bison.
Why do you need a poll? It's already there. Seems like this Kip guy is set on a 67mm turbo. If it's definately a 67mm, then it has to be a P trim. No grumpy turbo's ;)
I'm not racing this class but it should be fun to watch, also watching it grow. With the right rules this should be the highest car count.

We will see i guess. I would say very bottom 10's and maybe even high 9's with a p trim. I sure as hell will never underestimate a hard core racer. Remember when they thought TSM would be a mid/low 10 sec class? Thats some funny $hit huh?

And that is exactly what my plans are with my current car Sarah.
Excellent find and thanks for that link 86brick.

Patrick

No problem Patrick, hard to beat a car that runs high 10's and still looks/drives like a stocker.

From what I have seen and heard since I have bought my car in 07 is that it wouldn't matter what mods were allowed or not allowed, there will be people that will push the envelope as far as they can at whatever expense.
I think the rules that were suggested by Kip and Kevin are a good starting point. Keep it at that and let the class run its course and if changes need to be made at the end of next season, then make the changes. :cool:

Deren

Well if we are set on the rules I guess I'll keep going with my turbo V8. Costs less to be fast that way. We'll see what 320" and a 76mm turbo can do. I was really getting excited about this class. But oh well. I will definitely have another Buick one day, just not right now I guess.