New Buick heads up class (67 turbo, etc...)

The only difference between this class and TSM is the a/c and turbo.

and 200 4r
and 3650 lbs
and 8.5" rearend
and all steel

It's funny how 1 out of 10 people asking for the smaller turbo do not have any attention of running this class. If you guys don't like it, you can always watch the people racing this class and having fun from the stands. A guy is taking his time trying to make a new class and people here do nothing but bring the class down before it even begins. Knowing Kip, I'm sure he is probably spending 5 hours a day on the phone trying to make this thing happen. Go out and race, you'll have fun. And if your car is at the back of the pack, it will give you a goal to shoot for. My car was supposed to be a high to mid 10 second car. I went to BG and ran TSM. Right then and there I knew I wanted to try to make my car competitive in the class. Next year will be my 3rd year and I am hoping to be towards the front....the TSM class gave my car a goal and possibly being competitive in the 3rd year with a smaller budget than most is a personal accomplishment for myself. Bottom line, it's for fun. It will get you involved in the Buick community and you are guaranteed to meet good people and have fun!

ok going out on a limb here....but it seems alot of people are pissing on this class.....what ever happened to FUN...just to compete...to hang out....THIS IS NOT TSM OR TSO it is a VIRGIN CLASS let the f-ing thing get started and have one event before the wet blankets come out and put the fire out....a general set of rules that can get tweaked down the road....this is why new classes fail...because no one gives them a chance to even get off the ground....I may not be new as far as this board is concerned but I have had my Buick since 1996....and have been around the block...so to say...it kills me that everyone want to promote Buick's and Events...but in the same breath want to kill it.....sorry...am a little biased

I had a pretty quick stock block Buick once, before the days of off the shelf strokers and 8 second TSM cars. I know what it took to make it fast. Just wanted this class to be about the average Buick owner. It just wasn't meant to be. I have no doubt that Mr. Kip is working his rear off to get this off the ground. I hope nobody takes offense to anything I have said. I think you guys don't need me muddying up the water. Sorry.

I dont think anyone is bringing it down or trying to ruin anything Kip is doing.
People are just putting an opinion of what they want or may run if it was there.
Thumbs up to Kip for taking this on,and he doesnt have to change anything because of what people are posting.

Black6pack bring that car up here and fly home. I promise while I am not working on the banana I will do whatever you want to your car. Maybe instead of running TSM at columbus, we can do a motor swap for you.:eek:
I am hoping Kip get's this class off the ground so with the extra racer's maybe we can get some track prep at that chit hole of a track. :eek: :eek:

you are correct sir. However it will be more expensive to be a front runner in this class with the existing rules than some of the other rules others have proposed correct? Fast=$2000, cage=$1000, NHRA license etc. So this COULD have been a more "cost effective" class. The only difference between this class and TSM is the a/c and turbo. I am afraid this class will get the slower cars in TSM to back down and dominate!

Making it an eighth mile class would make it much less expensive. I dont know about any $1000 cages. Maybe a roll bar. My cage was a lot more than $1000 but when you compare it to other cages installed by professionals you see where the $ went. FAST actually is cheaper in the long run. Its provides a lot of protection because of the WB correction and is very repeatable pass after pass and has a lot more data logging capabilities than other systems which cost $800 or mre anyway. Maybe the traction control should be illegal?

Black6pack bring that car up here and fly home. I promise while I am not working on the banana I will do whatever you want to your car. Maybe instead of running TSM at columbus, we can do a motor swap for you.:eek:
I am hoping Kip get's this class off the ground so with the extra racer's maybe we can get some track prep at that chit hole of a track. :eek: :eek:

Thanks for the offer, but I'm afraid that motor would shatter my trans, twist my driveshaft, explode the rear, bust both axels and shear the lugs off!!! I'd really like to get a dog in the fight but I'm afraid my mutt, part chiuaua part pug (it's not pretty), can't hang with the big dogs. :biggrin:

This should be a neat class. I'm interested in how the cars will run with alky and high octane gas. I haven't seen much testing done with both. I know the banana could have used a small shot of alky with the intake temp rises you guys were getting. I'm thinking you guys could have maybe got another tenth.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm afraid that motor would shatter my trans, twist my driveshaft, explode the rear, bust both axels and shear the lugs off!!! I'd really like to get a dog in the fight but I'm afraid my mutt, part chiuaua part pug (it's not pretty), can't hang with the big dogs. :biggrin:

I'm interested in how the cars will run with alky and high octane gas. I haven't seen much testing done with both.

:biggrin: Its a 9 sec class

and 200 4r
and 3650 lbs
and 8.5" rearend
and all steel

It's funny how 1 out of 10 people asking for the smaller turbo do not have any attention of running this class. If you guys don't like it, you can always watch the people racing this class and having fun from the stands. A guy is taking his time trying to make a new class and people here do nothing but bring the class down before it even begins. Knowing Kip, I'm sure he is probably spending 5 hours a day on the phone trying to make this thing happen. Go out and race, you'll have fun. And if your car is at the back of the pack, it will give you a goal to shoot for. My car was supposed to be a high to mid 10 second car. I went to BG and ran TSM. Right then and there I knew I wanted to try to make my car competitive in the class. Next year will be my 3rd year and I am hoping to be towards the front....the TSM class gave my car a goal and possibly being competitive in the 3rd year with a smaller budget than most is a personal accomplishment for myself. Bottom line, it's for fun. It will get you involved in the Buick community and you are guaranteed to meet good people and have fun!

Well said Kevin;)

Maybe 1 out of 10 dont plan on racing the event but its the 10 to 1 that favor the 61mm turbo vs a 67. Kip is trying to get car count and it seem the majority here want a 61/62 max but he's allowing the 67. I will race this class in oceola just for the fun of it, but i do agreee with the masses to slow the class down. Why start w/ such a big turbo , the class will only get faster as the years go by. I would think w/ a class like this that if it was in BG a bracket class can be eliminated. Everyone likes heads up . Also i think aftermarket ecu's , co2 boost controllers should not be allowed. Just my .02

Just an observation and I might be way off base, but it really sounds to me like Kip basically started this class by building the rules around a few cars in his area with 67mm turbos/109 combos that are not wanting to step up to the TSM class considering how out of hand it has become. That is fine and all but in terms of car counts it's not always the smartest thing to do because as I'm sure most know the TSS/TSE class rules were pretty much based off of Red Armstrong's cars as well as some of his other buddies in his area. I'm sure the GSCA had good intentions in making the rules for TSS/TSE, but it seems like they never really get a decent car count for either of those classes simply because most don't have cars that fit the rules.

Having said that I give Kip credit for trying to start another class and in the end it is simply impossible to make everyone happy!

I apploaud Kip for stepping up with the idea of a new class. We built a TSM car because bracket racing was boring. TSM is alot more fun because of the heads ups racing.

It would have been nice to have a stepping stone class before reaching the ranks of TSM. I talked to several people in Reynolds about this class because I am excited about it. Every one I talked to said it should be restricted to a 61mm turbo. I hope some of them speak up.

I apploaud Kip for stepping up with the idea of a new class. We built a TSM car because bracket racing was boring. TSM is alot more fun because of the heads ups racing.

It would have been nice to have a stepping stone class before reaching the ranks of TSM. I talked to several people in Reynolds about this class because I am excited about it. Every one I talked to said it should be restricted to a 61mm turbo. I hope some of them speak up.

I agree it seems the majority that would want to race in this class wants the 61mm rule. I think some of the guys with 67's need to speek up and say that will or wouldnt buy a smaller turbo to race with and how many 61 guys would not race this class if the 67's were allowed.

I agree it seems the majority that would want to race in this class wants the 61mm rule. I think some of the guys with 67's need to speek up and say that will or wouldnt buy a smaller turbo to race with and how many 61 guys would not race this class if the 67's were allowed.

well if 67's are not allowed I am out.... my car fits without doing a thing...do not expect to win but just want to run a heads up class....bought the 67 to have more than enough power to handle a safe tune....and get well into the 10's and not be on the ragged edge....but will still support Kip and the Class in Columbus...

I personally have a Te45a and would not like to fork up another 700-1000 for another turbo, at least not yet. I would rather spend the money on heads and a cam.

It will be interesting to see exactly how many will actually show up to the events.

Deren

So what's the difference between this class and TSS??? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Billy T.
gnxtc@aol.com

This class would be much less restrictive than TSS. Allowing alky, front mount intercoolers and aluminum heads are some of the major differences. TSS requires stock throttle bodies, a MAF sensor, factory computer etc. I think there were two cars in TSS this year. I'm sure that THS would draw a bigger car count by having less restrictive rules.
Randy

Thanks to Kip for all the hard work.
I think the rules are set for this year, but for the future...

It can't be that expensive to get a new compressor wheel put in your turbo.
Maybe Precision, Turbonetics, Forced Inductions or one of the other vendors could offer a class special.
If it could be done for ~$300 would anyone really mind....?

If I buy another turbo for my car it will be bigger not smaller. That being said I am excited about this class but not absolutely sure I will be able to compete. I have been to bg for the last 3 years and would love to see it there. I also try to go to the buick vs ford shootout in OK every year.I have never been to columbus and might try next year, but I can only afford so much traveling & time off to go racing. Anyway I was planning on stepping up to a 70 turbo but now I may just keep what I got and try to squeeze a little more out of this 67.

John