New Buick heads up class (67 turbo, etc...)

I hope no one gets scared away from this class because of talk about how fast it might be. Look at this years Reynolds tsm race. Everybody promised 8 second passes....the winner ran a 9.5. In heads up racing on a pro tree, anything can happen.
Kevin a 9.00 is as close to the 8's as your possibly going to get. ALSO "EVERYBODY" didn't Promise 8's ..... A few did and they got damn glose tooo..

Don't take (V8assasin) the wrong way here he is just giving his input on this class and WE ALL just don't want it close to the TSM rules or the times they are running.

US with stock modifyied cars that drive them there might be intrested in this class too. ;)

Scot W.

Here is a Quick Suggestion,

Why not have 2 Groups of THS

Same rules for both but Group one has 67mm turbos, Group 2 has 61mm and smaller

That would satisfy everyone and get the car count up

Just a thought.

The current quickest/fastest TSS cars run bottom 10's @ 135+ MPH. This class will qualify as a 9-sec. class as compared to the TSS guys you're allowing cui., XFI, alum. heads, front-mounts, etc., etc...

As for eliminations it'll probably slow down a couple tenths. There needs to be a heads-up class for the "blue-collar", lower income, mid-high 10-sec. guys/gals/cars.

K.

(SLOW) I think your missing (V8's) point on this as well. What he's saying is simply to look alittle into the future of where this class may go! Like in TSM.

About him racing a car? His is days away from being finished and he will be racing in TSM ALL next year!

ANOTHER THING! He also puts up sponsor money in TSM so I would think he should be qualifyed to give his input on a class that he might be intrested in sponsoring also!! It's not a good thing to bash on people who actually bring sponsoship money to these classes, after all that is what brings more people into the class!

I think you are missing my point, we can slow the class down in the second seaon if need be.

About him racing TSM, that ain't got nothing to do with the car count for THS.

ANOTHER THING! If he wants to sponsor the class that would be outstanding. I didn't bash anyone, just gave my opinion just like he did.

I think you are missing my point, we can slow the class down in the second seaon if need be.

About him racing TSM, that ain't got nothing to do with the car count for THS.

ANOTHER THING! If he wants to sponsor the class that would be outstanding. I didn't bash anyone, just gave my opinion just like he did.
:rolleyes: I guess we are all MISSING THE POINT!! LOL

Kevin a 9.00 is as close to the 8's as your possibly going to get. ALSO "EVERYBODY" didn't Promise 8's ..... A few did and they got damn glose tooo..

Don't take (V8assasin) the wrong way here he is just giving his input on this class and WE ALL just don't want it close to the TSM rules or the times they are running.

US with stock modifyied cars that drive them there might be intrested in this class too. ;)

Scot W.

Yeah, personally I really don't care what rules are here. I don't plan on racing it and my buddy's car that was going to race it has now become a TSM car. I was just backing Kip up. He doesn't care if someone goes 9.2 in legal THS trim. He just wants car count and the racers to have fun next year. Heads up racing on a pro tree....anything can happen;)

Sam, I am sorry you see the class this way. I feel like you are talking down to people and never thought I would see that out of you. Not everyone wants a TSM car, this class is for the guy who wants to try heads up racing and maybe has never had a chance, the guy who wants to keep a more factory look to his car etc.
See ya, Kip

Kip,
I think you know me well enough to realize I am not an intimidator. Nor would I put somebody down, especially on a public forum. I can see how my comment could be misinterpreted. Let me clarify my statement.

You and I have talked about this before. My wife and I wanted to race in TSM because we were bored of bracket racing the car. Once I got to know some of the guys racing this class my mind was set. (The people in the Buick community are the best in the universe). It took me two years to build the car. I made it faster than I really wanted to, but I had a burning desire to compete heads up. I was not feeling a sense of accomplishment by bracket racing. I wanted to run the car all out and not be penalized for making it go faster than I thought it would go. Letting off before the finish line is not racing to me.

In my opinion there are several other people that have a desire to race competitively in a heads up class. I believe several of these people do not want to modify their street car to the level it take s to build a TSM car. You told me yourself that you know people that have made their cars so fast that they do not enjoy them anymore. In my opinion you should keep these people in mind with this class you are creating. Decreasing the turbo size is the best way to do this. I see THS as a place to get experience racing, and create a learning step before running TSM. Driving a car that runs high to mid 10’s is a lot easier than one that runs mid 9’s.

2008 NHRA rules dictate
Any car faster than 11.49 must have a roll bar
Any car faster than 10.99 must have a complete roll cage.

I know several people that want to race heads up, but do not want to put a cage into their really nice car. In my opinion if you start off with the small turbo and drag radials you are going to attract all these people. In my opinion if you start off with the larger 67 turbo (which can hang with TSM in my opinion) you will scare these guy’s, and gals away that want to keep a more factory look to their car. I would not be able to drive a nice street car to the track with a 61mm turbo, drag radials and think I had a chance of winning against a car with a 67 turbo and slicks.

I do think a car with a 67mm turbo could hang with the TSM field. I know lots of people are going to say they could run mid 9’s with a 67. I say that would be difficult. It is difficult for guys running a 70mm. I do think some one with enough dedication and bank roll could pull off a mid 9 pass. For example; imagine how fast a car equipped with a set of your high flowing heads, a polished and massaged 67, in great weather conditions, and a perfect tune could go.

In my opinion if you start off with allowing slicks and the 67 turbo this class will become faster than most want it to be. Roll cages will be needed, and car count will decrease. I strongly feel you need to focus on trying to limit this to a low 11, high 10 second car field the first year. I say this because you are going to find a few people that are going to strive to be the record holder the first year. Then when you try to slow it down those that didn’t get the record but came close are going to be angry.
I hope you make Turbo Hot Street a class for cars that are to slow to hang with TSM cars. Had a class like I am explaining existed a couple of years a go I am positive my wife and I would have been competing in it. Then we would have stepped up to TSM racing.

These are only my opinions please don’t take offense to them. I saw you at every race I attended this year, except Reynolds. I am sure you quizzed those you recognized as potential racers in this class for their opinions. I understand that my opinion really means nothing because I do not currently have a car to compete in this class. I only tell you my opinion because I think that you would like to hear them. I do not mean to offend anyone, and I hope you take my recommendations seriously.

I know it is easier to criticize some one for what they have done then to actually accomplish something. I want to clarify I am not criticizing you. I am only stating my opinion. I really do applaud you for having the ambition to create another heads up class. I wish you best of luck with Turbo Hot Street.

Sam

The guys that are really interested in this class dont wanna hear 9.2 or even 9.7 capable.
It just became out of reach for most people that mught be able to budget this,I realize racing ins't a budget game,But if a fair amount of guys run in the 9's car count willl suffer by the guys that can't keep up.

I still think it would be an awesome class with a 62 limit.

Can you name any racers already running that fast with in the THS rules? If so I wouldl ove to have their name and number so I could contact them.
Peace, Kip

I dont know anyone who has yet but ill lay down some 9.80's in this trim without beating the balls off it. 233ci 3650lbs. I dont plan on anything faster than 9.80 with the stock block. Its not very reliable and a waste of my $ to do so when i have a stage2.

Not sure, some one is borowing my 2007 book.

The rule on parachutes changed this year for sure. It use to be 150mph or faster, now it is 150mph or 9.99 and faster.

Interesting huh:confused:

Not sure, some one is borowing my 2007 book.

The rule on parachutes changed this year for sure. It use to be 150mph or faster, now it is 150mph or 9.99 and faster.

Interesting huh:confused:

My local NHRA track, which is usually VERY strict, did not enforce these rules this year. I wonder if they will next year?? I think the chute on any car going over 130 mph is a good idea though.

I just found this on NHRA's website (from 2007):

Frequently Asked NHRA Tech Questions

"If the floor and/or firewall has been modified, then a full roll cage is required beginning at a 10.99 e.t. A full roll cage is required in any vehicle running 9.99 seconds or quicker, and any vehicle running 135 mph or faster (regardless of e.t.). The roll cage must be constructed of minimum 1 5/8 o.d.x .118 mild steel tubing, or 1 5/8 x .083 chrome moly tubing, and must conform to the following diagram:"

Looks like in '07 at least it was required if the firewall or floor was modified. 9.99 if not altercation to the fire wall or floors.

Page 280 of the 2008 NHRA rule book. 10.99 (135mph);)

So Sam, if you are right on the roll cage rule then even if we made it a 61 turbo class most people would have to
have a cage any ways. So the class would go slower but need the same safety equipment.

See ya, Kip

Gotta get back in and throw my .02, so take it for what's it's worth.

Sam was not talking down to anyone, he was simply expressing his opinion which it seems he is not alone in. Possibly the powers that be should be more willing to accept others thoughts in a constructive way without firing back in this manner.

I do not think I fired back, I stated what I felt. Others have called me and said that this class was being refered to as "to slow to hang with TSM". In my looking around after getting put on to this I even found a part time vendor who made a reference to it in a post. Why the negativity? For the record Sam is a good guy and I think if he would have realized he and the others using this term were making people mad he would have not included it in his post.
Thanks, Kip

These are only my opinions please don’t take offense to them. I saw you at every race I attended this year said:
Sam, your opinion does mean something as does every one else's. I am trying not to leave anybody out for the first year as best that I can. I cannot fit everbody in and I know that. My plan is to have the racethe first year then the people who race the class can have the most say from there. Look at the people who have already posted that have 66 and 67 mm turbos that are saying they are in, I want these people to be in and not killed because they can't or will not buy a new turbo. If we have a lot of racers that show up and race 2009 and then want a change we can do it. If I had a car with a 61on it I would not be scared of a class that allowed 67s. I raced a car with a TA49 ina class that allowed 70mm turbos and finished second and collected a check for the effort, so anything can happen.

Take care, Kip

So Sam, if you are right on the roll cage rule then even if we made it a 61 turbo class most people would have to
have a cage any ways. So the class would go slower but need the same safety equipment.

See ya, Kip

Kip,
Kevin pointed out that I did not expalin the rule correctly. The rule states any car running 9.99 or faster must have a certified cage.

Let me expalin the 10.99 to 10.00 roll cage rule. A car running 10.99 to 10.00 at over 135 mph must have a certified cage. This means a car running 10.19 at 134 mph is legal with a roll bar. A car running 10.00 at 134.99 mph is legal with only a roll bar. The forward bar only has to be on the drivers side, and it can be a removable swing out.

Did I explauin that well enough?

I think the weights you chose would put just about everyone this class needing only a roll bar should you decide to decrease the turbo size.

Thanks for listening.

Sam