New engine Runs then dies after 5-6 seconds :( Lost

That is a 3.5" LS1, and the stock ECM can't understand it without a translator.

That is a 3" LT1
Ok so how does is it running without one hooked up?
And why with a Translator and the new larger 85MM MAF Hooked up does it not run???
Stupid

Do you have the right settings set in the translator?
Yes I have checked them over 10 or more times with the 85MM and had my wife check them as well.
Then went back to the LT1 changed settings and didnt work checked again tried again checked again then did as my buddy said took the box out put the adapter back on and plugged in the LT1 no translator and BOW RUNS LIKE IT SHOULD!
Very confused but its running and Id like to know how the heck this is even possible! and why it doenst work with the translator AT ALL.

Is it drivable with no translator? Unplug the MAF and see if there is a change. It may be in limp mode and ignoring the MAF?

Is it drivable with no translator? Unplug the MAF and see if there is a change. It may be in limp mode and ignoring the MAF?
Cars been this way since I got it 10 years ago all I have done is change inj Chip's and turbo's and now a new engine. Ill be getting a new chip from Eric soon as well for the new Ported heads intake larger cam and FMIC

glad it running also. the conditions seem unusual. The stock ECM does not accept the late model MAF frequency range, so I really would like to know all the details.

Regards,

Bob

Apologies if I've missed anything in this thread but I've got questions. You've connected a late model MAF to what? A modified connector? Cuz it won't fit a stock one. Was that set up in place before you bought the car? And if the car never ran with a translator before the engine work then who or why was one connected? I dont know much about SD chips. Could that be whats in the car?

Strange... The maf needs a translator unless there is something else in the mix we don’t know about.

Get with turbo bob to get to the bottom of this. Then please post back with results once it’s all figured out.

Glad it’s at least running but don’t go hammer on it until you know for sure what’s up.

glad it running also. the conditions seem unusual. The stock ECM does not accept the late model MAF frequency range, so I really would like to know all the details.

Regards,

Bob

Same here, Bob. Isn't more than just the range? Something like once MAF outputs a square wave and the other is something like a sine output? Hence the need for a Translator to 'translate' one to the other?

There was an adapter plug that went in the MAF and then connect to the wiring harness. Thats how it was and how I hooked it back up. What i dont understand is why it works that way but not with the translator hooked to it :( Very confused the same as all of you are. It doesnt have an SD chip it has the standard 5.7 Chip from Eric at turbo tweak so it should need a translator to run.
And as far as beating on it the car ran an 11.04 at 125 with the old bone stock engine in the car with nothing but bolt on's I just wanted to go faster so I got this engine from William and upgraded to a front mount and though I was upgrading to the 85MM MAF to get rid of the restriction from the 3" One since I did the 4" Inlet pipe and 4" Turbo mouth on the new turbo.
I have also search and search the car for a translator hidden some place and have yet to find one. I just dont see how there could be one the way its wired. It literally is just a short plug that goes in the LT1 MAF and plugs into the fat factory plug.
I really just want to run the 85MM MAF so if anyone has any ideas let me know.
Thanks again for all input here. And its good to see everyone else is at a loss the same as I am.

there may be a Gen2 wired in somewhere. post some pics of the ecm connectors. and any wierd things in and behind the glove box...

Bob

there may be a Gen2 wired in somewhere. post some pics of the ecm connectors. and any wierd things in and behind the glove box...

Bob
Was the Gen2 available 10 years ago? I got the car in March of 2009 Ill look but I dont remember seeing any thing connected to the ECM Wiring when I had the computer out

Strange... The maf needs a translator unless there is something else in the mix we don’t know about.

Get with turbo bob to get to the bottom of this. Then please post back with results once it’s all figured out.

Glad it’s at least running but don’t go hammer on it until you know for sure what’s up.

Ya I definitely dont know about something lol. What I do know is my Brain hurts :(

Gen-2 came out in 2006, the Translator Pro came out before that.

B

If nothing looks out of place around the ECM, I would empty the glove box, pull the side tab and drop the glove box out of the way so you can look for a suspicious black box taped up or zip tied up behind the glove box. Take some pics of the ECM and wiring harness so we can see what's going on. Also, take some close up pics of your wiring harness at the MAF.

What they've said is correct, the stock ECM can't read a later year LT1 or LS1 MAF sensor w/o a Translator box. Dig around. I'm betting you will find a hidden Translator inside the cabin somewhere. This could also help explain why it cranked and died quickly once it started trying to communicate with two Translator boxes hooked up.

Image this scenario. Car starts, Translator box #1 says, "What's up?" Translator box #2 says, "Nothing, what's up with you?" MAF sensor looks around at both boxes, shrugs it shoulders indecisively, not knowing what the heck to do. ECM bust open the doors and says, "WTH is going on in here?" And pulls the plug on the PacMan machine.
Game over.

Investigate, dig around and get some pics. That will help us immensely too help solve this conundrum of strangeness.
Whatever you do, DON'T GO WOT YET!

-Patrick-

If nothing looks out of place around the ECM, I would empty the glove box, pull the side tab and drop the glove box out of the way so you can look for a suspicious black box taped up or zip tied up behind the glove box. Take some pics of the ECM and wiring harness so we can see what's going on. Also, take some close up pics of your wiring harness at the MAF.

What they've said is correct, the stock ECM can't read a later year LT1 or LS1 MAF sensor w/o a Translator box. Dig around. I'm betting you will find a hidden Translator inside the cabin somewhere. This could also help explain why it cranked and died quickly once it started trying to communicate with two Translator boxes hooked up.

Image this scenario. Car starts, Translator box #1 says, "What's up?" Translator box #2 says, "Nothing, what's up with you?" MAF sensor looks around at both boxes, shrugs it shoulders indecisively, not knowing what the heck to do. ECM bust open the doors and says, "WTH is going on in here?" And pulls the plug on the PacMan machine.
Game over.

Investigate, dig around and get some pics. That will help us immensely too help solve this conundrum of strangeness.
Whatever you do, DON'T GO WOT YET!

-Patrick-

Well going Wide open aint gonna happen for a while seeing we are in Michigan and it snowed so slick + Snow = not going any place lol.
Ill get some photos in a Little bit busy doing the fam thing at the moment :)

The mystery has been SOLVED !
See attached photo!
Man what a PIA I truly do not remember him telling me that was back there! And I have never pulled the Glove box back like this as I have never seen a need to. At least I know its there and can just change the settings to work with new MAF I got!
SO I guess I have a brand new Translator version 6.7 I need to sell a long with an LT1 MAF sensor
Next question is there any diff. between the 6.1 Version TL and the 6.7 I just got?

Attachments

• Hidden Translator.jpg
    Hidden Translator.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 63