New head bolts?

kmtwig

I have heard that when I replace my head gaskets on my GN, that I need to replace the head bolts too. Is this true? KMTWIG

Not a bad idea. I've heard of people re-using the torque to yield stock bolts, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable doing so. ARP bolts are always a good choice.

torque to yield bolts shouldn't be reused. Go for some cheap insurance and use arp studs while you have them off

I didn't think GM was using TTY bolts until the advent of the LS-series in 1997 ? ? ?

Go with studs, and whatever you put in, seal up with some Loctite 567, since the bolts/studs extend into the water jackets of the heads.

Why studs? Unless this is going to be a race motor..... ARP bolts will work just fine.

I know studs are reusable, don't know about the bolts. From my reading, studs are a more reliable clamping force. A good thing with 20+ psi pushing against them.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/head-bolts-or-studs.342969/
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/head_sealing.html

With the new allen head studs, you DO NOT have to remove the engine to do a head gasket.

Much more info available with a search.

After you pay for new head gaskets (cometics cost around 200), copper spray, loctite, valve cover and intake gaskets and sealant, probably a pan gasket and oil/filter if you blew out the old one, and a few hours of work (at least), are you really gonna skimp and reuse old bolts, or use the proven best fasteners ?

If you guys could only see what happens to the bores of these 3.8s when torqued up.If you have the chance for quality machine work definitely have a torque plate hone job done with your choice of studs or bolts"stick with your choice once you've had it done though" It is really not worth spending
your money on the TTY bolts when ARPs are not much more money and you will get to use them over and over!

I usually use ARP bolts, but........There is a service bulliten that states the stock bolts CAN be re-used. They were not torque to yield after all. They were made by SPS and they are a high quality company. We use SPS bolts in the aerospace field, but I have never seen an aerospace bolt made by ARP. I have re-used stock bolts a few times and never had an issue. (low buck emergency build) One car ran 10.70 with no issues. I would reccomend replacing them, though. But if $70 is gonna prevent you from feeding your kids...............(you own the WRONG car!):D

I agree with turbofabricator. The head bolts on 86' & 87' motors are not TTY. I have reused the head bolts on several 10 sec. cars and never had an issue. It doesn't hurt to change them but it's not necessary.