New NEW Header Thread - Prototypes DONE!!

your phone DOES take great pics lol. FINALLY, a real buick man makin real buick headers. If you were local, you'd drink for free all nite. Thanks for the dedication.

I dropped the driver side off today to get one primary moved. The car the headers were built on did not have a PowerMaster on it and the #5 primary hits the PowerMaster motor. The fab guy is going to fix it and I should have it back on Wed. So, barring no complications on Shane's part, Im hoping to dyno the headers next week, back to back with a set of stockers.

Im going to have the shop owner handle all the tuning so my hands are completely out of that equation and I guess we'll see what happens. If things go well, I hope we can move to production shortly thereafter.

But they aren't 'stealth'. lol. As if you could get ANY grand national to be 'stealth'. There isnt ANYTHING you could do to a GN, to make people think it's not fast. Those headers look like theyre going to flow really well. Though, I think I'd do a really good radiator, and a tinman cold air kit with those. Any interference with the crazy cold air kits? What about prolonged engine bay heat and gaskets? Any concerns?

But they aren't 'stealth'. lol. As if you could get ANY grand national to be 'stealth'. There isnt ANYTHING you could do to a GN, to make people think it's not fast. Those headers look like theyre going to flow really well. Though, I think I'd do a really good radiator, and a tinman cold air kit with those. Any interference with the crazy cold air kits? What about prolonged engine bay heat and gaskets? Any concerns?
Im not really concerned about heat. We're going to have custom heat wraps made to keep the heat down where the crossover comes around both sides of the motor and the crossover, as you can see in the photos, is really low.

My thinking is that we're going to make these in mild steel and use a thermal barrier inside and a ceramic coating on the outside. Talking to another TB member, RMar, who does coating, he seems to think we can knock a lot of the heat out going this route.

There are several production vehicles that do this kind of stuff and use just heat shields to protect underhood components and they dont have a problem. If anything, what we're going to do to protect against the heat is probably overkill.

Now if I can just figure out how to make them look stealth.

My thinking is that we're going to make these in mild steel and use a thermal barrier inside and a ceramic coating on the outside.

my coating guy said he wouldnt do a thermal barrier on the inside [pre-turbo] b/c there would be chance of flaking which could run through the turbo... No problems on post turbo [ie DP though] - just food for thought. Maybe your guys better than mine...;)

my coating guy said he wouldnt do a thermal barrier on the inside [pre-turbo] b/c there would be chance of flaking which could run through the turbo... No problems on post turbo [ie DP though] - just food for thought. Maybe your guys better than mine...;)

Mine have a copper thermal barrier coating on the inside. No problems here. :smile:

Here's a shot to give you some kind of idea of how the crossover looks in the car. I swiped this photo from the fab shop's website. As you can see, the crossover isnt quite done in this photo.

Attachments

• 14 [640x480].jpg
    14 [640x480].jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 762
Here's a shot to give you some kind of idea of how the crossover looks in the car. I swiped this photo from the fab shop's website. As you can see, the crossover isnt quite done in this photo.

That looks like it might even clear my jackleg intercooler pipes.

Oh! I figured out how to make them stealth. Close the hood!

Looks like hard work pays off.
The headers look beautiful. I'm faster than 10.99 but barely so maybe these would look and work well on my ride.

Back to the coating.
Option 1: Ceramic coating
Option 2:Thermal coating on the exterior w/ceramic over
Option 3:Thermal coating on the exterior w/ceramic over
and a internal coating that has some thermal qualities and promotes the rapid removal of the exhaust.
And yes you can do all 3. But it is time consuming.

Step 2, alone should drop you about 400 deg. surface temp. :cool: I still would not put my hand on it. But
it sure can't hurt to remove any under hood temps.

As far as delaminating (stuff coming off ) pre turbo
Prep,prep,prep.
Degrease, preheat(to drive out any contaminates and allow for out gassing) manually get a profile, (sand blast, wire wheel, etc...) clean, iron phosphate, start 1st. application.

The only thing I would begin to put a internal coating on pre turbo would have to be new metal! TOOOO many
contaminates in a used part.

Going mild steel with the coating seems like the best way to go ( price and temp wise ). Having an HPC coated Turbo, Headers and DP it does wonders on the under hood temps. I am sure some baller out there will go stainless and coat it, maybe Chris Garrett?:tongue:

Going mild steel with the coating seems like the best way to go ( price and temp wise ). Having an HPC coated Turbo, Headers and DP it does wonders on the under hood temps. I am sure some baller out there will go stainless and coat it, maybe Chris Garrett?:tongue:

I'd bling stainless.:biggrin:

Wow, that picture's crazy. I never would have thought of runnin' the crossover there. That looks to me, like it would be easier to swap headers that way too. I was talkin to a guy about inside and outside thermal coatings at jet hot, and he said it works terrific. But I also hear alot of this 'if you keep too much heat inside the tubing, they'll crack, or the welds will fail.' as well. What about that? Is that true?

RMar is the man there.. he'll have to answer that.

I think this is one for the metal guy's. I'm sure the excess heat
can't help. But if you ever notice most of the fractures are at the edge
of the welds? I would say or guess the proper weld (heat/penetration).
Would have a lot to do with that.

Because it is so difficult to control the cleaning and proper mil. build in
side a tube. Especially in any type of production mode. I would not
recommend coating pre turbo the I.D. But I would polish the inside.
any type of polishing will speed exhaust flow.

I would recommend the thermal barrier and top coat in ceramic and this can
be done by most of your local coaters.

And can some one give me accurate avg. EGT and metal temp at Header/Turbo/downpipe.
and once these headers and crossover are tested we can give more info

Thanks

Very innovative ;) ... but I have some good questions. With the crossover pipe coming in front like that would you need a special shield for the radiator hose? Also is the crossover pipe longer than the hooker? If the crossover pipe meets the passenger header at that point wouldn't the exhaust flow have to make a U to spool the turbo? They don't look that efficient to me. :confused: Can you help me understand what makes these better than previous head designs. :smile:

Can you help me understand what makes these better than previous head designs. :smile:

Didnt read the thread, did you?

We're going to have heat blankets made to shield the radiator hose and the AC components on the driver side.

I havent measure the crossover but I'd bet it's not much longer than ATR. Given the overall header length and total crossover tubing, its shorter than Hookers.

Didnt read the thread, did you?

We're going to have heat blankets made to shield the radiator hose and the AC components on the driver side.

I havent measure the crossover but I'd bet it's not much longer than ATR. Given the overall header length and total crossover tubing, its shorter than Hookers.

Cool! :cool: Jay keep up the good work! :smile: