New PT6466BB turbo, does the exhaust WG hole need porting?

I was told they sold 9 .63 housing to 1 .85 housing on these and the .63 was most popular as that was the first question I asked about spool up...go figure. But I have not had any time to get it back apart to port it out. I have ported out 3 of these previous so this isn't my first one. Probably be another week or so before I can get it apart and continue on...

Last edited:
I've made so many mistakes over the years most due to curiosity or lack of common sense.

The combo has to match. Comp, Turbine and a/r.

Jamming a smaller exhaust housing on it too increase spool is not the way to do it. There is a balance you need to meet between spool up and top end.

Running a larger a/r will help boost control with your internal gate. Much easier to control boost let's say going from .63 to a .82 with an internal gate... I will only use .82 or bigger on a 3.8 liter.... .77/78 on 6262 is fine. 2.0 liter or smaller for a .63 housing.lmao Before I get called out by members who say 9.5-9.8x on PTE .63(.77).That's great...it's just my opinion from hanging around different garages. And i bet a 6266 .85 will make more power than a TE45 w/ .63.lmfaooooooooo )

But anyway your 6466 is too big imo. I wouldn't go bigger than say an older 6152 with an internal gate...again, jmho.

Last edited:
Good luck controlling boost with a .77 housing on a PTE 6466. Your wg hole is under .9 ? Trying to control boost with the turbo that is "King of back pressure" with 20-22mm wg hole? Exhaust gas already has to make a narley turn out of the buick exhaust housing ... Then out 20-22mm eg hole.lol
The puck size is 1.25" I still haven't had the time to finish getting it off, if it doesn't work after making it egg shaped to the full diameter, I will try the .85 housing....could be a long process since my time is limited these days.

Jmo i wouldn't go bigger than 1". on either housing. Ideally the puck should overlap 1/8" over the wg hole but your fine there. If you try the pte .85 with a 1" hole with a standard actuator with a light preload (14#) and mbc, and have issues controlling boost get rid of it. Go with a 60, 61mm. Skip the p-trim it's not needed for stock motored car. If I not mistaken my older 62 turbine spooled 200-300 rpm sooner than the taller 65 turbine.

Here is what I have to work with currently...
wg.JPG

My three cents. I have a stroker motor being built from scratch. Going to take my 14k motor and trans out and put it aside. I have a new 64/66 .85 exhaust housing for the new motor. I talk with Richard Clark today about this thread. He tells me don't have any concerns as he know exactly what to port it too, ( as he puts the car on the dnyo and ports from there. He said it's the best way to dial it in.or I could go with a external. As he has done it both ways,also the TC is not the same for a .63 and the .85. He also told me that he would rather have the .85. Said this car will be a 9 sec. ride. If he doesn't know what he's talking about then nobody any where does !!!

My three cents. I have a stroker motor being built from scratch. Going to take my 14k motor and trans out and put it aside. I have a new 64/66 .85 exhaust housing for the new motor. I talk with Richard Clark today about this thread. He tells me don't have any concerns as he know exactly what to port it too, ( as he puts the car on the dnyo and ports from there. He said it's the best way to dial it in.or I could go with a external. As he has done it both ways,also the TC is not the same for a .63 and the .85. He also told me that he would rather have the .85. Said this car will be a 9 sec. ride. If he doesn't know what he's talking about then nobody any where does !!!
Yeah, remember I had another thread a few months back about this turbo and asked about housings...at the time I was leaning towards the .85 same you, then a few folks chimed in about the spoolup on the street and what not, then FT said they hardly sell any of the .85 housings and convinced me to go with the .63. Maybe I will know in a week or 2 if I can control the spool up and keep it from flashing up to 25# boost uncontrollably.

On a motor like yours a .85 will spool fast. The issues you usually hear is stock unopened motors with a tight lockup convertor trying to spool a 66 turbine / .85 housing(actually .9). When they should been running a te60 and wonder why it spools like it is tied to a tree.

imo .82-.85 is where you should be at with 3.8 liter
even on the smaller turbos. I am just playing it safe! Just looking at the .63, it's looks 1.5" wide.lmao. 2 hard pulls at night and my .63 would glow.

Know I repeat myself, but like i said, people wonder why they have to port the fuck out of the wg hole to control boost! Using a tiny .63 on a big 3.8 liter.jmo

On a motor like yours a .85 will spool fast. The issues you usually hear is stock unopened motors with a tight lockup convertor trying to spool a 66 turbine / .85 housing(actually .9). When they should been running a te60 and wonder why it spools like it is tied to a tree.

imo .82-.85 is where you should be at with 3.8 liter
even on the smaller turbos. I am just playing it safe! Just looking at the .63, it's looks 1.5" wide.lmao. 2 hard pulls at night and my .63 would glow.

Know I repeat myself, but like i said, people wonder why they have to port the fuck out of the wg hole to control boost! Using a tiny .63 on a big 3.8 liter.jmo

Your 100% right- the. 85 housing on the 6466 turbo is the way to go but it just has to be ported correctly when using an internal low pressure WG. Anyone that uses that turbo should have a good tranny build/ Torque convertor and methanol on there car as well because you will only be able to get the boost down to around 20/21 lbs with a good WG port/ low pressure actuator. The turbo spools really fast on the street as well.

Haulz A

When porting wastegate holes, you must put a radius inside the opening so the air is not making a sharp 90 degree turn to exit the exhaust housing, seen this first hand at RCG. Think of it like you're driving down the expressway and you need to get off of it without hitting the brakes, you need a bend to exit.
Chuck

When porting wastegate holes, you must put a radius inside the opening so the air is not making a sharp 90 degree turn to exit the exhaust housing, seen this first hand at RCG. Think of it like you're driving down the expressway and you need to get off of it without hitting the brakes, you need a bend to exit.
Chuck
Yep, but also want to create a damn where it will hit and slow down from going into the turbine wheel, so don't radius it all the way around. Once yiu have it apart it nakes more sense, on that part, the more square the better.

So apparently the 13# accuator for the S-trim is on backorder...so I'm in a holding pattern waiting to put this all back together...not to mention its about 100 degrees every afternoon.

Order a turbosmart Wg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
I'll have to weigh my options if the porting or .85 housing and porting do not work, trying to keep as close to stock appearing as I can.
Looks like those require all new exhaust housing??

Did you see the stock style ones they sell?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

No I did not see those, but their web site isn't showing any for Buick or the 6466 housing. Is their a Buick vendor selling these?

I'll have to weigh my options if the porting or .85 housing and porting do not work, trying to keep as close to stock appearing as I can.
Looks like those require all new exhaust housing??

You couldn't probably make it work but I'd do it right and at the same time play it safe. I'd put a .85 housing on it and port it to 1". If it's still creeping go to 1.1" buts that's it. You shouldn't have any issues at 1.1" on .85 with a light spring and light preload. Do it once.