New T-Type Owner

rbarragan

Hey guys I just purchased another Turbo regal. I purchased a 1987 Grey Turbo T. Has 120,000 miles came fully documented from the original owner. It actually got a new motor installed from the dealer at 60,000 miles due to them blowing the original motor up in a test drive. He gave me every receipt and everything for the car. I have the original rims. I had some 16 inch 2 piece WEDS laying around and I put them on the car. Is there anything I should look for or change before I start driving it everyday? I have replaced the exhaust and TPS and IDLE air control. Also replaced fuel pump with hot wire kit.

Attachments

• Turbo t.jpg
    Turbo t.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 105
Do you have a ScanMaster yet? If not, you need to pick one up.

The simplest mods are:

Bypass the heating line to the throttle body
Install a 160 degree thermostat
Install a Turbo Tweek chip
Install a Bosch 237 or adjustable fuel pressure regulator. You need to increase the fuel pressure to 43#'s for the new chip to operate correctly.

Then save your money for a new 3" down-pipe & free flowing exhaust.

~JM~

Read everything you can on the board and then read it again. If you've got any questions ask them even if you think they're stupid. We've all been there at one point or another so don't feel like you're alone. Welcome aboard and go to your user controls and add info on the car and where you are. That will help if someone's near you and they're willing to help.:)

Welcome to owning a Turbo Regal!

You will ALWAYS love your TR, forever, I swear.

You'll only regret owning it 40% of the time, I promise! :)

The other 60%..........Too Fookin' SWEET!

Got pics?

Thanks guys. I am not new to the turbo Buick game. I own a 87 t top grand national as well I bought it when I was 18. But I am still new to modifying them. But I wanna start modyfing the Turbo T. How much is a turbo tweak chip? How about a scan master?

Scanmaster is $250-270. Turbo Tweak chip is $85. What are your goals with the car? In other words, how fast do you want to go?

I want this to be my daily driver. So I wanna get LoJack and a alarm. I would like to dip into the mid to high 12's

I want this to be my daily driver. So I wanna get LoJack and a alarm. I would like to dip into the mid to high 12's

Check out Guidepoint Systems.

Way better than LoJack. You can actually track your car on a computer or smart phone in real time.

Mid 12's are certainly possible with minor mods.

How expensive is guide point systems? LoJack has a one time payment to get it installed. Are there any other theft deturrent things I can put on the car to at least make it hard for them to take it?

Kirbans ahs a special touch and go set up. It's so hidden only you will know about it. If you take it in for service you can disable it. With that and a steel sleeve for the column it's almost impossible to take it without a tow truck.

G
How expensive is guide point systems? LoJack has a one time payment to get it installed. Are there any other theft deturrent things I can put on the car to at least make it hard for them to take it?

Guidepoint is priced a little less, but it has a modest yearly subscription.

Unlike Lojack , Guidepoint works off of GPS satellites and cell phone towers so it can locate a car just about anywhere. Lojack ONLY works in areas where the local LE agency pays Lojack to operate, so the coverage is spotty, especially in rural areas of the country and with city and county budgets being what they are, who knows where the next cuts will be .

Follow the advice given here and you cant go wrong. Its kind of cool to see the results from each mod you do. Welcome to the club.

okay, dude here you go. Get a Scanmater, a boost guage, and fuel pressure guage. MSD superconductor wires, AC cr 43ts spark plugs, gapped at .035, walbro 340m fuel pump, cut restriction off of fuel pump hanger, hotwire, Bosch 237, or an adj. m fuel pressure regulator, set of 42# injectors. Next, get a Duttweiler intercooler neck, and have it tigged on, and remove the factory airbox. Install a K&N cone filter directly to the maf sensor. Gut the cat converter, and get a GOOD exhaust system, preferably something with straight through mufflers such as Pypes racepro kit for the TR. Get a restalled D5 converter from one of the vendors, an RJC power plate, an adjustable wastegate actuator, and a Turbo Tweak chip for the combo. You might want to get some sticky tires too. Have fun!

I would drop that gap to .032. I never had a problem with it. It actually seemed to help.