You can type here any text you want

New to Turbo Buicks, help with goals...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboDetroit

Purchased a 86 GN as a roller and ready to put some power behind it. I already have a built rear end with eaton 3:23 posi, and a guy waiting to beef up the tranny, but need help with power goals.

I want to be in the mid 10 sec range and i want some of your proven guys' advice on how to get there. I have full interior/ AC delete. This is pretty much a friday and saturday night street car that i won't beat on too much with very few track passes a season.

The rjc intercooler looks really trick and i think i must have one just for cosmetic purposes, haha. But i would also like to upgrade the turbo and run an external waste gate.

Are aluminum heads necessary to get into the 10 sec range, 70mm TB? Really don't even know where to start. I dare to say I'm more show than GO.

Also, need a good turbo buick shop in the metro detroit area!!

NO ya don't need alum heads to run 10s or even 9s.. 1st thing is to get a pile of $$$ :p Here is a simple build we ran years ago.

Engine
RJC girdle
ARP hardware
109 stock block
Diamond .020 pistons
stock crank cut 20/20
stock rods
SFI balancer and flexplate from Mike@Full Throttle
212/212 Comp roller cam
Champion STEEL ported heads
Cometic Headgaskets (NO they don't leak )
Champion ported stock intake
RJC power plate
stock plenum
stock TB bored to 62mm
stock crappy factory headers and crossover
3" down pipe to a dual 3" exhaust (we run threw the exhaust)
Dequick V4 stock location intercooler
67 DBB Precision Turbo
RJC boost valve
60# inj
TURBO TWEAK CHIP

We have a local GN that has run a 10.9 with an un-opened engine, just proper bolt-ons and good gas! :)

For a mid to low 10 sec. GN, some up grades like Grumpy mentioned should be done.

Probably the best advise I can give you is find someone that has been SUCCESSFUL in building a GN to the level you plan to reach, and follow their recipe. :cool:

In general, to mod a GN to be reliable and perform consistent at the 10 sec. level requires a budget of ~$10K.

[quote="Nick Micale, post: 3051429, member: 793"

Probably the best advise I can give you is find someone that has been SUCCESSFUL in building a GN to the level you plan to reach, and follow their recipe. :cool:
[/quote]

X2 !!!! anyone can slap a mess of parts together... takes a little talent to keep it together :D

yeah, sounds about right to me. I was speaking to a guy down on woodward about his GN, he told me that theres a guy who works for Macomb CC thats a genus at turbo bucks, anyone know him?

I worked on one of your 10 sec. builds today Dan, after 25 years the module/coil pack finally gave up on Erik's T! :)

White racing on the eastside knows thier stuff expensive tho.....pm me we should get together and cruise im actually tryin to build my car to the same power level ,mid tens...

thanks for the info, @turboc87gn ha... mine won't be ready this year, i got kind of a lot of work ahead. But ill be out next year in spring/early summer hopefully... if not it'll be done by the woodward cruise in late august....

yeah, sounds about right to me. I was speaking to a guy down on woodward about his GN, he told me that theres a guy who works for Macomb CC thats a genus at turbo bucks, anyone know him?

That's Bruce at Aggressive Auto. Groesbeck and 16mile. http://www.aggressiveauto.com . He is the only reputable Buick shop in the area that I know of. He has a few things to my TB and proven to be fair priced and honest. I would highly recommend if you need parts or wrenching.

Lots of good info and links already.....and what do you mean gotta have an RJC front mount..They are not that sexy.......ok I lied YES they are :)

2m35tv8.jpg

You have no idea what you have just stepped into.....

You have, however, stepped into a place chock full o' good folks!

Welcome to TB.com!

First mistake, 3.23 gears. Stockers are 3.42 and most guys keep that gear.

Pronto said:
First mistake, 3.23 gears. Stockers are 3.42 and most guys keep that gear.

Yeah, the rear end was already done when I picked the car up... Is it worth it to step up to 3.42's?

GetOwnedVette said:
Lots of good info and links already.....and what do you mean gotta have an RJC front mount..They are not that sexy.......ok I lied YES they are :)

Yes that rjc front mount IS sexy... It's just as cosmetically pretty as it is functional...

Back