You can type here any text you want

newbie needs answers!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mtnbuick

I have a 1986 t-type and im wanting to turn it into a 10 sec street car, I am a decent mechanic, but turbo cars are new to me. I think I will be doing this in stages because of the cost, any suggestions on where I should start and what am I looking at spending to get the car in the low 10's?

To get some help others will need to know the status of the car as it sits....Is this a stock T-Type?? You will have to list all the mods and make sure before modding that the car is healthy and ready to start being upgraded...You will need to have deep pockets and some patience.....Any scan tool to verify how things are going now??? Give as much info as possible and others will start leading you in the right direction....

I have a 1986 t-type and im wanting to turn it into a 10 sec street car, I am a decent mechanic, but turbo cars are new to me. I think I will be doing this in stages because of the cost, any suggestions on where I should start and what am I looking at spending to get the car in the low 10's?

Find a reliable person or vendor who has built a few GN's to the level you plan to seek and follow their guide.

It is all about COMBINATION, not just throwing a bunch of parts at the car.

There are only a relatively few people here who actually have cars which can run consistently and reliably in the low 10's.

Do not be fooled by the description of "capable", not proven, builds! :)

I can tell you if you do this in stages, it is very difficult, as many of the required low 10 sec. parts are not happy on the street, as the combination will then suck and performance will suffer.

There are $80-90K current production cars that cannot achieve that level w/o many other mods, so do not be fooled that you can get there unless you are prepared to spend $15-20K. The key word here being "reliable"! :D

1) Add some info to your profile like location and a sig which tells everyone what you have on the car right now.

2) Be prepaired for disappointment and a lot of agrivation getting to the 10's unless you do a complete build. Tranny, chasis and suspension, and engine.

You can get to the 10's if you've got help even with a stock shortblock but be prepaired for some issues. To make ir reliable you really need to plan on putting together a 9 second combo and run it at 10's or 11's. There have been more than a few guys that've made it to the 10's with a stock block, but they didn't stay there for long. There's lots of issues you've got to understand with the engine and the combo of parts. Nick is a great guy to ask and there's quite a few guys that are able to help you out but getting some sort of idea where you are will help them to know if they're close to you or not.;)

Nick is definitely right about combination. I would get the car running perfectly as it is first to get your feet wet. If your positrac is shot for instance you won't be running tens with that and replacing it won't hurt your current or future combination. If your cooling system or brakes are inadequate they need to be fixed and repairing these items will not hurt your current or future combination. When you get the basic foundation good you should tackle the engine and transmission at the same time and make sure that everything works together to meet your goal. I bought my car out of a field and spent the first few years doing the basics. (posi, shocks, springs, body bushings, everything that could be worn out was worn out so it all got replaced) How many miles your car currently has on it and how much the previous owner messed with it will determine your starting point.

Thanks for the replies, the car is completely stock and im not sure of the actual miles. I probably will do a complete engine rebuild and the brakes and chasis is something that I hadnt really thought about, I guess if you get one flying you need to be able to stop it!!

There is a local guy that wants the same.
My first question to him was “How fast can you afford to go and how often do you want to run 10’s?”o_O

Here is the nugget . . . . . Told him to pick up the phone (Just like I would) and call Nick M. or another reputable vendor for info/price on a 10 second power plant . . . . . . buy a complete motor/ set-up and drop it in the car. Than work on the rest of the car . . . It will be MUCH cheaper in the long run and you won't end up parting it out. :eek:

LISTEN TO NICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I were looking for a RELIABLE low 10 second car, I would NOT attempt it on a stock block, I'd be looking for someone to build me a TA long block !!! A low 10 second 200 tranny is possible but again, the right builder will have to build it for you. Then comes a good drive shaft and a well build rear end.
A reliable and streetable LOW 10 second build is NOT going to be easy or cheap. I'd guess at least $20K +. So be aware of what your goals are going to cost.

Grumpy's Quote is where you should start...it's CLASSIC.
CHEAP, FAST, or RELIABLE...pick any 2!!!

I just sent Bison a text message last night about my new stroker engine. I have over 10k in it so far and the shortblock still needs finished. Thats another 7k easy. I didnt do a budget build, but I do have some real nice used parts. I started with a 14,000 mile car too.

Coach

Back