You can type here any text you want

newbie ripped off

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mighty mouse

ok - I know this is not the correct forum for this.

ok I know you guys are gonna say quit your cryin. but this is my first turbo car. I dont know alot about them like most every doesnt when they buy one - but does that mean its ok to rip-off someone for lack of knowledge? :confused: .

I posted a 84-85 shortblock for sale - all new. it had je pistons in it, new cam, new high volume oilpump. ok - I posted it for 500.00. figured quick sale.the person who bought it from me lives in nw illiones and I live in nw indiana. he e-mailed me the day we were suppose to meet in chicago sayin he had a meeting at the expected time we were going to meet. so I told him I would come to him - for him to jus stay put. ok 3 and a half hour drive later - he tells me the pistons were je - but not turbo pitons - the crank was a turbo crank and the rods were turbo rods. but the rest was junk - told me hed give me 200.00 buck for the turbo crank and rods. said he couldnt use the rest of the stuff. ok - I took it - 6 hour plus drive for nothin that would sucked.

But now that I have found out the pistons were turbo pistons and he could use the whole short block for his little project that he is workin on. I feel really stupid - this will accomplish nothin - but others will know that this person will more than likely try to rip off others. I have tried to get help on get my car back together and I know there are some really good stand up guys on this site - mike mccoy - bweavy - and a few others that I have e-mailed about parts and such. I'm not asking for anyone to alieninate this person ar anything - jus want ppl to know.

now - the person who done this - his name is archie anderson. he lives around the great america area of illionies. I dont have his e-mail anymore - I deleted it right after the sale. its up to you as a individual if you want to do business with this person - I personally hope I do see him at a event at us 41 dragway this comin season.

sorry for the long post
mouse

1987 gn - tryin to build - with out gettin ripped off again:(

So basically, you sold a short block for $200 that was worth $500?

Let the Seller beware!

If I got mad every time I sold something for less than it was worth, I'd be Howard Dean.

i8f that is what happened, that is BS for someone to knowingly mislead someone, howver, there is always 3 sides to a story, mine, yuors, and the truth........who knows. This is 1 side. But, it is BS if that is what the guy did.

that is kinda what happened to me when i bought my fist gn from a relatively well known buick guy in texas. i picked up the car minus motor and trans(a motor and trans came with the deal, but they werent in the car), and a bunch of other little stuff that came with the car. so far the only part that i got from him that didnt need rebuilt or bought new is the ecm. being a newbie, you dont really expect someone to take advantage of you like that. he also gave me hell with getting me a title. i would never buy anything from adi glatz ever again.

sorry to hear about you getting ripped off, it happens to the best of us...

just my $.02

-jeff

So basically, you sold a short block for $200 that was worth $500?

Since the TR's are such a different animal than most performance cars, there seems to be a lot people who take advantage of "Newbies"

It makes me sick.

BT:rolleyes:

Originally posted by iamjeff
that is kinda what happened to me when i bought my fist gn from a relatively well known buick guy in texas. i picked up the car minus motor and trans(a motor and trans came with the deal, but they werent in the car), and a bunch of other little stuff that came with the car. so far the only part that i got from him that didnt need rebuilt or bought new is the ecm. being a newbie, you dont really expect someone to take advantage of you like that. he also gave me hell with getting me a title. i would never buy anything from adi glatz ever again.

sorry to hear about you getting ripped off, it happens to the best of us...

just my $.02

-jeff

Funny,that is exactly what he is well known for.

unfortunatly i had to learn that the hard way. i have talked to several other people in the area who have delt with him in the past who all have had problems. i would definitely not deal with him ever again, and i would strongly advise noone to do business with him. the astounding part is that he would take advantage of a 17 year old high school kid. talk about skum.(i guess his name isnt adolf for nothing)

-jeff

I usually don't like to get involve in these type of discussions.

However, I have to input my .02 cents, I too dealt with Adi when I first got my car (newbie) not long ago and I can tell you, Adi has done nothing but help me out on my car. He has never screwed me over on anything he's done to my car or me. As a matter of fact he's done a few things above and beyond on what I wanted done.

I don't know you or your story (and I dont want to know) but I just wanted to share my dealings with Adi.

Dannyo

i am sure he can do some good work and has helped some people out before, how else would he have the shop that he does. but i just gave my experience, im sure there will be others, such as yourself, who have had very good experiences with adi before. he told me to call him and he would get some information for me, and send some things to me, and what do you know...he was always out when ever i called(this is over the course of several months). his wife would take messeges and he would promise to call back, and he never did...not once.

-jeff

Well, look at that Hennessy guy in Houston - seems like he was great to local folks (the ones that might pay a surprise visit un-announced) but jerked around folks that were from out of town? Does this factor into the situation at all?

FYI, I do not know Archie nor have I ever met him. But in his defense, what he claims can be valid. 84-85 blocks did have the rolled fillet turbo cranks, can't speak for the pistons ( if I remember, they are the same as 86-87's, but I believe that they were the same.) Although possibly usable after having it completely disassembed and machined , in its apparent state, its usually not usable for 86+ turbo applications. ie, different oil valley and no oil return boss and of course a different metalergical makup. Thus making it not usable. I certainly would NOT want it in my car. If they were JE's, chances are you sold him a cut crank that may be cut .010 or more.

BTW, it appears according to your own words you claimed everything was NEW. I find that hard to believe. Was the block brand new? Or was it used before? Was the crank brand new? If not, it could very well have been cut?????

In fact, I had a Complete Running 85 Motor including MAS, turbo, headers, everything and could not get one person anywhere to even give me $600.00 for it.

I ended up selling the crank for $225.00 $10.00 each on the pistons and rods and GAVE the block away for free to a local club member at the Midwest challenge.

Joe

One other thing I just thought of. When folks say turbo pistons, we generally are refering to OEM stock pistons. So that fact that he said they were JE's and not turbo pistons can generally be accepted. I would have stated the same had I seen them.

Its good to know what your selling before you sell it, rather than blaming someone else.

I can't tell you how many times I've sold things and later found they were worth so much more or when I sold some NOS Parts that had been discontinued and were worth 4 times what I sold them for. (I kinda wondered why a guy bought all 10 of this particular item I had for sale)

Joe

you bring up alot of good points gnx guy.
first the block was used - but completely machined and ready to be built - bored .040 over,new pistons,yes the crank was cut,an yes the rods were reconditioned,it did have a new cam in it,along with all the new bearings required and oil and freeze plugs,new high volume oil pump. So as I stated it was a new motor - unless you wanted to go to a buick dealer and get a crate engine - if you can possibly even do that ??????

My point I was tryin to make was this guy not only mislead me - but had me drive all the way to his work. I had two others that would have paid me the 500.00 for the motor - yes they were hot air guys. so archie basically screwed me out of a motor that all he had to do was bolt on the heads and rest of motor and go. When was the last time you done all that machine work and got a motor that far ? - how much did it cost you? I bet it was alot more than 200.00.

like I said before - I cant do anything about it - but I can warn people about this guy - maybe they deal with him - maybe not - its there choice. but they have been warned about him if they have read this post. that was my point I was tryin to make

but like I told someone who e-mailed me about this post - I have talked to alot of guys with a good reputation and I wouldnt think twice about dealing with them. But you can rest assured - I will make sure of what I am buyin and the actual value of it.

ya know i meet you at the midwest challenge. I believe it was a chicagoland chapter member that introduced us. But I'm not going to mention her name. and I think you were at the world of wheels werent you?I dont remember what she told me.But I'm sure we'll meet again one day at a meeting - who knows.

mouse

I'm sorry you got "ripped off" <---Your terminology. It sucks and it seems like it happens to everyone at some point or another.

However, I don't think you were "ripped off". You entered a sale/negotiation without being certain of exactly what it was that you had in your possession. You simply met up with someone who "out-negotiated" you.

Knowledge is power. In this instance, he had the power. Chalk it up to experience.

Originally posted by SinistrV6
I'm sorry you got "ripped off" <---Your terminology. It sucks and it seems like it happens to everyone at some point or another.

However, I don't think you were "ripped off". You entered a sale/negotiation without being certain of exactly what it was that you had in your possession. You simply met up with someone who "out-negotiated" you.

Knowledge is power. In this instance, he had the power. Chalk it up to experience.

This is a lame answer as are the others here.JE pistons brand new are $600 a fresh cut 10/10 crank can be sold here on the site for $250 or better,a set of used unchecked rods for $50.A turbo drain hole is no big deal there can be one run to the oil pan.Not all 109 block have the turbo drain in them.I would bet that if those were new pistons from je they were the correct 8:1 ratio if they were dished.Matter of fact I beleive even non-turbo 3.8s had 8:1 stock.I chalk it up to you guys being a bunch of cheap A-HOLES like the guy who ripped off this kid.I would bet those of you stating that it is just "experience " have ripped someone off before too.

Originally posted by sixgun86gn
I chalk it up to you guys being a bunch of cheap A-HOLES like the guy who ripped off this kid.I would bet those of you stating that it is just "experience " have ripped someone off before too.

You lose that bet! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER ripped anyone off. Especially a fellow TR owner.

Watch what you call people.

What was done to him wasn't "nice" but it is business. I wouldn't have done it but many others will take advantage of a situation like that.

I guess when I get a good deal on eBay I should send some extra money to the seller because he sold it too cheap. NOT A CHANCE!

Back