shell rotella t trip is built for Spark ignition engine
and
Compression ignition engine it is what that letter say

see the pic

Attachments

• information.jpg
    information.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 509
Is there any reason to not run synthetic?? I hope I'm not a tard for using Mobil 1. Can the ZDDP be added to synthetics without problems. I know the guy I bought my Buick car from last spring said he used Rotella in everything he owns (2 turbo Buicks, Chevy Tahoe, Cummins Dodge), so I know the car had it in there when I bought it, but it was filthy so I changed oil and used Mobil 1 10W30.

Is there any reason to not run synthetic?? I hope I'm not a tard for using Mobil 1...........

I do not think you are a tard, you own a turbo Buick! :D

But I think the question you should ask "is there any reason TO run Mobil I"?

Probably the main reason turbo Buick owners run it is because it costs more and the ad guys say "it IS better".

For many years I have asked what is better about synthetics in our car, and technically from experts and engineers and techs, no good reason has ever surfaced, actually more reasons NOT to use it besides the difference in cost.

We do, or at least should, change our oil before it is contaminated too much. A blown or turbo engine oil is full of junk long before the additive package is used up.

For first hand info and discussion to further answer your questions, join us at the TurboBuick.com event in May being held in North Carolina. You can discuss this, and other turbo Buick subjects face-to-face with "expert" from around the country! :biggrin:

That is a true statement, but the issue I have in running Rotella in my Buicks, but not in my Cummings, is that it contains a large percentage of detergent additive to try and keep those dirty engines clean. :)

Detergent helps clean cylinder walls, it then counters the friction modifer, ZDDP, from doing its job. :confused:

My simple take is why not just use an inexpensive oil which is SM rated like the expensive oils, and add ZDDP?

The more expensive oils also have more detergent, as their advertised life between changes is longer, and really this has no benefit in a turbo engine which gets contaminated before the additives go away.

I would rather change oil more often with less expensive oil, than keep in contaminated oil which evens out cost wise, but cleaner oil is better for the engine.

As far a cost, the Comp Cams additive is at least double the price of ZDDP, and has less than 1/2 the amount of the actual additive as determined by RC in his testing lab.

I agree with Nick....the simplest and cheapest solution remains buy any current sm oil add one bottle of zddplus in your 4 to 6 quarts of oil and you will have 1,800 ppm of the MOLECULE zddp...period. Comp cam dilutes it plus its 12 onces....you don't need to seek out any special oil....that is what your turbo regal called for when it 2was built. 1,800 ppm of zddp...not 1,500 or `,200 ppm which would be marginal at best which many of these so-called promoted oils offer that are not API certified. Part of the reason marginal amounts of zddp is not good is the fact for the first 1,000 miles of driving it depletes at a faster rate.

If you want to match the ppm that was in the oil when your car was new this is the easiest simplest and cheapest method. RC who is behind zddplus has a passion for these cars and has produced it. Turbo owners in particular should be glad he has.

Companies like Crower and Isky would not use it recommend it if they felt something better was available and easier to use.

While other oils claim to have zinc it is not simply zinc that is "missing" its a combination that makes the specific molecule.

Ten years ago would you put diesel oil in your car? Magazine writers suggested that early on because at the time no product with high amounts of zddp existed. Also older diesel oils did have higher amounts of zddp but like Nick says it has other ingredients you don't really want to put in your gas engine.

Besides zddplus is available from many of the vendors on this forum. We sell to all the major studebaker companies, several major old ford companies, engine warehouses, engine rebuilders, several british car mail order companies restoration shops year one,natonal parts depot, etc. The product makes sense besides offering the simplest solution.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I do not think you are a tard, you own a turbo Buick! :D

But I think the question you should ask "is there any reason TO run Mobil I"?

Probably the main reason turbo Buick owners run it is because it costs more and the ad guys say "it IS better".

For many years I have asked what is better about synthetics in our car, and technically from experts and engineers and techs, no good reason has ever surfaced, actually more reasons NOT to use it besides the difference in cost.

We do, or at least should, change our oil before it is contaminated too much. A blown or turbo engine oil is full of junk long before the additive package is used up.

For first hand info and discussion to further answer your questions, join us at the TurboBuick.com event in May being held in North Carolina. You can discuss this, and other turbo Buick subjects face-to-face with "expert" from around the country! :biggrin:

Fair enough. Thank you, Nick!

As far as NC is concerned, we'll have to see just what life throws at me in the way of work between now and then.

And if you order 2 or more bottles of ZPlus from KirbanPerformance its FREE SHIPPING to your door!

Cant beat that.

Pete
Kirbans

Mobil 1 15-50 and no additives.

One reason to run synthetic is my DBB turbo manufacturer recommended it, it has a higher burning point than most other synthetics and conventional oils too, that's from experience I didn't look up the data. ;)

Castrol synth. used to smoke a bit in the drivethrough lines such as the bank and fast food joints that sucked. :p

The 15-50 is formulated for older engines.

The other car gets conventional Valvoline Racing no additives needed there yet, but I do have some ZDDP on hand for when it is needed. :smile:

Been using Vavoline VR1 which is supposed to have higher ZDDP and I also use ZDDP Plus... is this overkill ? Is this too much ZDDP ?

Rotella straight 30 breaking the TTA in

Royal purple 10 w 30 in everything else

how much ZDDP is in the old EOS? comparable?

one bottle of ZddPlus is equal to two bottles of EOS--------the concentration of EOS was just about perfect for a break-in additive back when the commonly available oils had zddp concentrations that were much higher than they are now-------since the modern oils have much less zddp the concentration of ZddPlus is ideally formulated for use with current oils--------the ratio of z&p in ZddPlus is an exact copy of EOS except for the total concentration...............RC

how much ZDDP is in the old EOS? comparable?

EOS is not the solution it would take 2 bottles of EOS which is larger to equal our little 4 ounce bottle of zddplus...

zddplus as noted before is by far the simplest solution that lets owners continue to use any current sm oil whether it be conventional or sythnetic...

nothing is in the 4 ounces that was not present in the oil when the turbo regals were new.

denniskirban@yahoo.com