You can type here any text you want

No Spark Problem, please help!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

carfreak07

Hello guys, I have a customers car at the shop and cannot get any spark from it. I need some advaice on what other parts could cause a no spark situation other than what I have replaced.

I have tried 5 different modules on the car, two of which have been GM AC Delco units. It has a new coil pack, crank sensor, cam sensor, and both of them are set up correctly. I have checked fuses and all of them are good. I just dont know where to go at this point. It has a new injector harness and alot of other new parts that someone else replaced.

I have voltage at the pink/blk wires at the module. I also have 11v at the a&C connections on the cam a crank sensor. If I check those to ground then I have 11 on a but only 7.5 on C.

If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated, my customer would really like to have his car back and I would really love to get it going for him. Thanks a bunch in advance!!!!

Damn, you pretty much went through it all. Are you sure it's still a no spark condition?

I really have no idea if this can cause that problem but....Bad ECM? Is it a t-top car that gets driven in the rain? Again I don't know if this can cause said problem, but I thought I'd throw it out there

Was the car running when it was brought to your shop? Also was the injector harness and the other parts you said were replaced, was that done to find the no spark problem? Just curious. :)

Here is a link to a site that has a lot of usefull information about these cars and a good troubleshooting section as well.

Vortex Turbo Buick Performance

Ea it is definately no spark.

The car has been worked on before I got it..... They were trying to cure a miss and had replaced the injector harness and some other odd and end things. The last guy that worked on it to cure the miss done something to cause it to not run at all. It then came to me and has since driven me crazy....ha ha.

It is not a t top car but my next guess would be a PCM if that could cause a no spark. It would definately be a guess because I am at a loss with it. Thanks for all the replys and I look forward to more. Thanks again

Does the check engine light come on when the key is turned on?

There are two pink and blacks on the module that should have power. Pin p and pin m.

41c.jpg

Yes the light is on when the key is on, it does not have any codes. I forgot to mention earlier that the car is an 84 but it has an adapter that's plugs in and accepts the 86/87 module and coil. I have the voltages on the important things posted in the original post. Thanks again

What is the difference in the type 1 and type 2 coil assemblys? Mine looks like the type 1 from the picture above.

Nick, Parton me for asking a dumb question but when we spoke earlier, you said to check continuity on the signal wire. My question is where do I check the continuity to? From signal to a or signal to c, may e even something else. I will check it all out in themorning..... Thanks again for the help

Check that you have power everywhere. Check your paths from the ECU to the ignition module, the crank and cam sensors to the ignition module, and also verify the cam/crank sensors are changing signal states as the windows pass through them. I know you said the cam sensor was set up properly so that one has to be working but I would still double check. Also, the crank sensor has two slots so make sure the interuptor ring is passing through the correct slot, I'm pretty sure it matters. If all that checks out think about the ESC module.

Maybe i can be of some help? I have never actually encountered this problem with my GN, however I had finished up doing a motor swap on an old civic of mine, i had the same problem, it ended up being a bad ground... Just a thought...

If you have a service manual your best bet is to folow the no spark section step by step if you haven't done it allready.It could be several things so you need to find witch path to take for troubleshooting this gremlin.:cool:

Check the ESC, I think it's the electronic spark control? It’s on the passenger side fender. Make sure it's good, connected and not wet or corroded.

I also had issues with the 84/85 due to low voltage, make sure it has fully charged battery!!

HTH
Prasad

well folks this car is still down.....everything I test leads me to either the module or a dead end. I have put gm modules on it and everything else I can think of, really have no idea what is going on with this car. I sure wish there was someone local that knew these cars and could help me out. I am located at 41004 in kentucky.

well folks this car is still down.....everything I test leads me to either the module or a dead end. I have put gm modules on it and everything else I can think of, really have no idea what is going on with this car. I sure wish there was someone local that knew these cars and could help me out. I am located at 41004 in kentucky.
Did you check all the pins on the connector for the ign modual and the wires going into it? Check the orange wire from the battery? Damn, i can't believe this still isn't solved!

Did you check all the pins on the connector for the ign modual and the wires going into it? Check the orange wire from the battery? Damn, i can't believe this still isn't solved!

Also 100% there is good grounds? Fusible links?

Hello guys, I have a customers car at the shop and cannot get any spark from it. I need some advaice on what other parts could cause a no spark situation other than what I have replaced.

I have tried 5 different modules on the car, two of which have been GM AC Delco units. It has a new coil pack, crank sensor, cam sensor, and both of them are set up correctly. I have checked fuses and all of them are good. I just dont know where to go at this point. It has a new injector harness and alot of other new parts that someone else replaced.

I have voltage at the pink/blk wires at the module. I also have 11v at the a&C connections on the cam a crank sensor. If I check those to ground then I have 11 on a but only 7.5 on C.

If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated, my customer would really like to have his car back and I would really love to get it going for him. Thanks a bunch in advance!!!!

at the crank and cam sensors you should have approx 10 volts on pin A

you should have 0 volts (ground) on pin C

Pin B is the signal pin and should be close to 10 or close to 0 depending on where the engine stopped.

(you should not have volts on pin C)

All 3 wires from crank and cam sensors go to the coil module.

Bob

Some good info Bob!

Question for O.P. Did you know if the car ever ran with the coil conversion?

My bet is on the adapter harness. It's either configured wrong or has a flaky connection.

Back