You can type here any text you want

No spark with Fast

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BoostedGT

I just finished installing my bank to bank system and well Im having a slight problem getting spark from the coil. I have a stock Ford TFI distributor with a MSD digital 6 box. Here is how the wires go:

From msd box:
1- orange to +coil
1- black to -coil
1- white (not used)
1- red (12v)

From fast:
1- yellow to distributor clip (pin #1)
1- red to distributor clip (pin #2)
1- black to distributor clip (pin #6)

From distributor plug:
1- blue to ??? (pin #5)
1- red (12v) to ??? (pin #4)

Im not really sure where the blue and red wires go that come off the distributor harness. I tried placing the blue to the -coil but nothing happened. I dont really want to start crossing wires and burn something up. Any help would be greatly appreciated here.

I believe the coil output from the TFI module needs to go to the white wire on the MSD box. I don't see any connections to the MSD you have listed other than power and coil connections. Something needs to tell that box when to fire. I believe this is the blue wire coming from the TFI module on pin 5.

I believe pin 4 of the TFI module is the +12V pin. Connect this to a switched 12 volt source.

I'm not sure about the color of the wires you have listed as coming from the FAST but they seem to go to the appropriate pins on the TFI module. I would first try to make the connections I mentioned above and see if that takes care of your problem.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I agree with Craig. Blue goes to white wire on MSD and red goes to switched 12v. Should start right up.

Craig and Shane thanks for the info. The car still will not start unfortunately. I get two sparks when I turn the key to ON, but when I go to crank it over no spark, when I let off start and pull it back to on it sparks twice and the motor tries to start for a split second. I went as far as borrowing a friend's box and coil that I know works, and its still doing the same thing. I have no idea what to do now, I messed with it till 12am last night :(

There's a part number on the ECU, 30-xxxxxx. In the 6 digit number in this part number, make sure the third digit is a 4. This tells us the unit is configured for TFI ignition.

Then go online, press the F5 key, and make sure the crank reference angle is set to 10 degrees. While you are online, make sure the FAST is seeing an RPM signal during cranking.

Ok I checked the Ecu# and it is 30-114010. I did notice that while I was cranking the cpu was picking up on the rpm's. The crank reference angle at the moment is set at 50.00 degrees. I went ahead and changed it to 10. What exactly does the reference angle tell the cpu to do?

The reference angle tells the ECU where the incoming pulses are occurring. This setting should match whatever the timing is physically set to in the car. Once these two are the same, whatever you program into your spark map should line right up with what you see with a timing light.

If you had the reference angle set to 50, that would have prevented any spark output from happening in this application. You are getting close.

By the way, you might want to disconnect your injector harness until you know you have spark. Even though you don't have spark yet, the injectors are pulsing whenever you crank it.

Thanks for the great info Craig, I got the car to spark while cranking finally. Turns out it was a mixture of the wrong crank reference angle and then my coil took a dump. I got it cranking with spark now its being a pita and doesnt want to start lol. Its trying to, sounds like its a little retarded in the timing department. Thanks for all the help hopefully I can get it dialed in and hear it run.

Woo, well I got the car to fire up Craig. I got one last question for you, I got the car to fire and it ran for a bit. But after about a minute or so it completely lost spark. Now after I start it up, it runs for 2 seconds then totally loses spark and dies. Im not sure if its in my ignition box or in the fast. I wasnt sure if there was another setting I was needing to fix that could be causing this. Im going to recheck my ignition box tomorrow, because Im using my old one again and not the one I borrowed. Thanks again!

Back