What's there to miss about a lockup?

Attachments

• 4.21ss.png
    4.21ss.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 197
This is a th400 so the rpms are a little higher while cruising, but:

28mpg, 60mph, 2450rpm 2450 driveshaft rpm

At some point we'll get some info on how something made of billet magically transforms the way a converter acts and drives..........even though I know that nothing on a billet converter changes how a converter stalls or drives. I'm awaiting my converter education.:D

Having a LU Converter has never entered my mind. Got the Twisted 6 PTC 9.5 NLU. She gets coupled and pulls me down the track like a rocket.:p

I'd use a NLU from PTC as well but I got a great price on my 5disc Vig. I really do like it on the street and the track so I'm sticking with it until it wears out.

Excellent references there!!! You would be wise to listen to them. :)
But if you just spent 700 on a LU you are happy with then use it and be happy. :)

When it wears out or you outgrow it.........call Dusty....
Yeaup

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

are you serious ??????? who drives 60 mph on the highway ???? WE sure as hell don't BUT we use our junk to go everywhere.

I'd use a NLU from PTC as well but I got a great price on my 5disc Vig. I really do like it on the street and the track so I'm sticking with it until it wears out.

Guess we are the only ones that can run a LU :D I know I know this is just the weekly NLC thread that there r GAZZILIONS of.:confused:

so if you go 75/80 on the highway your RPM doesn't go up ???

Yea 75-80 is about 2700 rpm, the slip is still close to zero

(Now we are going to hear about how Melissa's car went 9's with a lockup) :)

(Now we are going to hear about how Melissa's car went 9's with a lockup) :)

HELL NO !!!! thats OLD news from 2007. Very few have caught her since then !!!! I laugh at all the build ups of guys in here. "oh...It SHOULD run 9's" BUT they never actually DO IT. Well thats enuff BS'n for now. Just wait till next weeks same thread coming up again.:rolleyes:

HELL NO !!!! thats OLD news from 2007. Very few have caught her since then !!!! I laugh at all the build ups of guys in here. "oh...It SHOULD run 9's" BUT they never actually DO IT. Well thats enuff BS'n for now. Just wait till next weeks same thread coming up again.:rolleyes:

Haha exactly!! It's amazing how underestimated the search feature has become

27 mpg? I don;t believe it.......that number is based on instantaneous duty cycle , not sure how accurate that is..

i have also been told to switch over to a NLU, but its not an easy switch when you dumped $700 plus into a LU that you are actually happy with and now to dump another $800 plus into an unknown (personally) NLU unit and hope you like it.
If only i could borrow a NLU specifically built for my car to see if i like or not??? that would be awesome.
Seriously though my next converter will be a NLU just because of Pacecarta and Husek.
Man,I'm right there with you. I just very happy with my $1,000.00 5 disk Vig. Unlocked,my motor revs right where it likes to be and locking it up is some real fun.

Theres a difference between a regular PTC 9.5 nl and one of dustys units idk if you guys realize that...i have been told this by several sources including dusty himself.....I have recently taken interest in some local gumball events and perhaps even the michigan mile The inagural one was this year a few weeks ago.... My question would the NL 9.5 be ok to use if doing a gumball rally or power tour, or dragweek? i know gumball speeds tend to be 70mph plus vs the slower cruise on the power tour.....

I'm not sure on the gum ball details. If its just a normal 70mph cruise the non lock is fine. The only time the non lock builds extra heat is on long hill climbs where your in the throttle a good bit. A lock up will maintain a lower rpm in this situation but if you get on the gas enough for the lock up to unlock then you are climbing the hill as a non lock. In that case the 9.5 non lock will generate less heat because it slips less than a lock up running unlocked. So if you narrow it down enough to one certain scenario the lock up has a clear advantage. I drove for 5 years with a non lock, 2 of those years were with a converter that slipped more than my 9.5. I will never own a lock up myself unless its a 12 second driver. Just reading all the bad tcc threads on here are a good reminder of some of the headaches associated with these cars and lock up converters. Id venture to guess that one single tcc mishap that wipes out the converter and requires a trans rebuild will cost more than any gas savings over the life of the car.

I'm not sure on the gum ball details. If its just a normal 70mph cruise the non lock is fine. The only time the non lock builds extra heat is on long hill climbs where your in the throttle a good bit. A lock up will maintain a lower rpm in this situation but if you get on the gas enough for the lock up to unlock then you are climbing the hill as a non lock. In that case the 9.5 non lock will generate less heat because it slips less than a lock up running unlocked. So if you narrow it down enough to one certain scenario the lock up has a clear advantage. I drove for 5 years with a non lock, 2 of those years were with a converter that slipped more than my 9.5. I will never own a lock up myself unless its a 12 second driver. Just reading all the bad tcc threads on here are a good reminder of some of the headaches associated with these cars and lock up converters. Id venture to guess that one single tcc mishap that wipes out the converter and requires a trans rebuild will cost more than any gas savings over the life of the car.

very good points
for me its been a combination of things rpm, feel, noise level and heat and occasionally cruising at higher speeds.
BTW i never lock up the converter at the track. Its strictly a street use thing.

Maybe when i move this set up to my 86, i'll upgrade to the NLU on this car.

oh 2700 rpm must be fun if you actually drove your car some:p

To be fair Grump, hr has TH400 not a 200. Im sure it would be much lower in O/D. Even with a l/u it would be high due to the gears.

At some point we'll get some info on how something made of billet magically transforms the way a converter acts and drives..........even though I know that nothing on a billet converter changes how a converter stalls or drives. I'm awaiting my converter education.:D

I never stated that billet magically transforms the way a converter acts and drives. So stop putting words in my mouth and being a smart ass.

I tried to be respectful and have a serious conversation about something being made that is better than what PTC is putting out, whether it's a LU or NLU.

I new you would be closed minded and try to mock me and apparently you need to be schooled [OH CONVERTER MASTER]on what's possible with converters being made by people other than PTC. I hope that people with open minds go up against a PTC and show them what's possible with one of his converters.

Why is it that when I originally was looking for a converter and talked to you, you were helpful, nice and respectful, and when I decided to go another route after doing some more homework and try someone else's converter I get flamed , mocked and insulted by you for trying to share that there are others out there that have gone further than PTC and make a damn good converter at a damn good price I might add.

I have the utmost respect for that man and his efforts to try and make the best damn product while working with me one on one taking the time to listen to what I wanted and the goals I set forth.

I used to respect you and thought you had my best interests in mind when I first inquired about a converter, but all that is lost since you would rather belittle me rather than maybe learn something that has escaped the makers of the PTC so far.

Why any one would go NLU on a street car even if it's in the tens or slower is beyond me considering that you can have your cake and eat it to with what's available now in LU technology.

RZ

Pure BS , NO NLU has zero slip hence why there are lockup converters in the first place.

To make it believable you shouldn't have posted a true 1 to 1 rpm driveshaft ratio. Also I run at 1,700 rpm at 60 so I'm curious as to how you get that mileage at those rpms.

I'd also love to see those MPGs , where did you buy your one off turbo diesel TR it must be worth a fortune.

Not hating on you just calling BS when I see it.

RZ