NVU gauge cluster installation.

Thanks for sharing your experience with your NVU gauge cluster and I wish your results were a little better, because as of right now I am considering buying the GNS gauge cluster. I do hope that you get these problems ironed out soon.
I would like to suggest that you get a dash from Scot at GNS. He does try to sell me one every time I see him, and I will get one from him someday.The NVU is a nice dash but it doesn’t look as good as Scot’s dash close but not as good. And there’s no ? That the NVU is a PIA to install compare to Scot’s plug and play dash. Just my 3 penny’s worth

Wheeeeew! After reading all this, now I am considering getting a GNS gauge cluster. I did purchase the NVU cluster, like the way it lights up in the dark. But I didn't know it would be this challenging to install the NVU. I might be able to return the NVU...…..
This is going to be my winter project...…...but just wondering everyones opinion on where to go with it.
Especially 1952ray...…...what do you think?

If I have an instruction sheet, on what to first start with wiring, setup, etc......and a step by step instructions......I would take the challenge installing the NVU.

But from what I have been reading, there are so many issues in troubleshooting the gauges...…...its got me thinking.

Anybody, please any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

William

This is the short version as I'm at work, but toss that thing in the garbage. I pretty much had to use other senders upon installation, and now the gauges are failing 1by1. I'll elaborate more this evening if need be. I will say it's about $700 to replace all the gauges with Autometers.

Yeah, I was thinking about getting one too, until I started reading about all of negatives in regards to the sender's not working properly. It looks like I will be getting the GNS gauge cluster that Scot sells.

I like the way the dash lights up, warning icons are nice, install was not that bad for me. I bought the cluster with the non plug and play option and did all the wiring myself. In all honesty as I am seeing with everyone else..... the gauges absolutely suck. I have ran out of gas several times due to inaccuracy of the fuel gauge. Most recently coming out of my garage.....Now I just fill up when it registers around half of tank. The battery volts is all over the place, and Speedo is never accurate after countless times of calibration. Oil, boost, and temperature seems to be pretty accurate though.

I am considering changing my gauges out for Speed hut gauges at some point, but as someone mentioned it is pretty costly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedometer and fuel are my latest issues also. I'm trying to figure out which Autometer white gauges will kind of match the others.

And it's a drag because this wasn't a cheap installation. I really like the dash for the whole year or so it worked. My speedometer had been out and 1952Ray's went out coming back from lunch.
NVU is going bankrupt from what Richard's Garage is telling me and NVU'S advise to Ray was to get a GPS sender for his speedometer. For mine they advised putting a drill on the speedometer cable and spinning it to see if the speedometer worked!
It's an electric speedometer.
I emailed them back and let them know I was WAY disappointed with their customer service, even if it is out of warranty. I got some bullshit reply back, so that is that.
I'll probably replace all the gauges with Autometer, but will check speed hut too. For the poster that thought they would return it, best of luck.
I think it'll be an awesome dash with good gauges in it.
Cheers!
PS. NVU has some of their gauges available at Summit. Weird shit, I think.

Last edited:
87GNSteve, no complaints on you Sir. I appreciate you putting this together, as well as a few other group buys you have put together that I have participated in. Some ya win, some ya lose. At least it's been long enough since the original buy in, that what's another 1K for this damn V6 powered thing I'm so addicted to.
Mr. Clark says he won't deal with anymore of these aftermarket dashes. I asked him what went in the GNX's?
Mechanical Gauges!!
I may go that route.

I did try the GPS sender NVU sells. It works well up to about 80.mph and after that not to accurate. It gradually increases its speed slowly but it is smooth not jumpy but I guess way better then the sender stuff and hooking it up to the trans.

Well I must say I’d rate my gauges a 5 out of 10. I thought the install was reasonably easy. I love the way they look.

My oil gauge registers way low compared to a known, accurate mechanical gauge. Even though I know it’s wrong it’s scary seeing low numbers. I have a new, different vdo sender I’m going to install to see if it helps. They have a ton of different senders with different specs. I attached a potentiometer to my gauge and measured the value at each 10 psi and got a sender I hope will work. This is of course BS we shouldn’t have to deal with.

My speedo is dead accurate at all speeds since I got an Autometer GPS sender. The only problem is it takes up to 3 minutes to acquire a signal. Until then it reads 0. Also going under bridges or in tunnels it’s messed up but that’s not a big deal. Before I tried a few different VSS,s and the speed jumped all over.

My gas gauge was horrible and would go way up when I braked and down when I accelerated. The tank would be empty when reading 1/8. I have a new racetronics pump and sender and now when it reads 1/4 I have over 1/2 in the tank. It doesn’t bounce around as much and I have no idea why.

So far everything else has been fine.

I remember how excited all of us were in the initial group buy and how great the gauges looked. I had an AVC gauge package that was great until the speedo failed. I opted for an original GNX clone to replace it and the gauges and fit were shit so then I got the NVU. I wish I had just replaced the speedo on the AVC. IT WAS GREAT! Maybe Scots gauges are good and I’d love to try them out but I’m already into the price of a car just in gauges over the past 20 years.

Now I need to finish my bottle of vodka and forget about this crap,

Last edited:
Man oh man...…….I spent $700 on the NVU gauges., plus the other extra items which im probably close to $1k..….Now I might have to spend almost $1500 on a better gauges....(GNS)…...

So, now I have to decide on whether to continue the NVU installation......… or sell it and get a GNS dash gauges......…..

any opinions??

Man oh man...…….I spent $700 on the NVU gauges., plus the other extra items which im probably close to $1k..….Now I might have to spend almost $1500 on a better gauges....(GNS)…...

So, now I have to decide on whether to continue the NVU installation......… or sell it and get a GNS dash gauges......…..

any opinions??

I'm personally just wondering how accurate the GNS gauges are compared to the NVU ones?? As I mentioned Speedo is a little off. The fuel jumps around quite a bit. Everything else for me seems to be pretty close.

any opinions??
I wouldn't be able in good faith to sell this thing to anyone.
I'm going to replace the speedometer, fuel, and oil pressure gauges with Autometer and hopefully call it a day.

I wouldn't be able in good faith to sell this thing to anyone.
I'm going to replace the speedometer, fuel, and oil pressure gauges with Autometer and hopefully call it a day.
Speedo will be right on if you use an Autometer GPS Sender. I can't say about the others.
I have a couple of oil pressure transducers with different specs I'm going t try and compare them to a known good mechanical gauge. If I find one that works correctly I'll post. I should be able to do it next week.

Speedo will be right on if you use an Autometer GPS Sender. I can't say about the others.
I have a couple of oil pressure transducers with different specs I'm going t try and compare them to a known good mechanical gauge. If I find one that works correctly I'll post. I should be able to do it next week.
I'm using the Autometer GPS sender. Speedometer is just dead. Thanks!

I'm using the Autometer GPS sender. Speedometer is just dead. Thanks!

So are you saying that the Speedo is dead totally and not functioning?

Also what is everyone doing with the fuel gauge? I can’t keep running out of gas randomly. I don’t drive the car enough to know how many miles and it fluctuates so much it is totally unreliable. BTW....It has a new Racetronix sender in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Precizion818, the speedometer lights up but that's all.
I have Nick's (Joe's) fuel system that's a year old, gonna drop the tank just to look but have already plugged a good sender in and no difference.
If I hit recalibrate button on the fuel gauge, I can get it to read but just don't trust it.
I thought about just replacing the 3 gauges in question, but with that I'm over halfway cost wise to replacing all of them.
A positive aspect of changing them out is I can change the layout and put afr and fuel pressure in the dash and move fuel level and volts to the a pillar pod.

Hi Guy's!

Thanks for the kind words in some of those posts guy's!
There have been rumors running around that our GNS dash insert is the same as the NVU & AVC dash's. That is 100% false! The first rendition of our dash's was originally done in 2008 with Autometer gauges and installed in our white GNS Test Car in 2009. At that time "Nobody" had a design like that except the man who designed it originally that we got the blessing from to go ahead and make them. Then in 2013 someone took a picture of our dash and decided to do a group buy from NVU and out comes a dash that looks identical to ours made very cheaply. The main source of the rumors so far comes out of RCG as they think all we did was sell their dash and put our name on it... I have Proof that we had that style/design first and our product is Vastly different... So please for the record the GNS Performance dash inserts are not related in any way. We happen to have a LIFETIME warranty on our whole Dash Insert and Proudly stand behind it! After 79 dash inserts sold to date we have only had 2 oil sending unit failures and 2 people having issues programing their gas gauge to their sending units. Those issues have been solved and the oil sending units have been changed by the manufacture to a Much more accurate & reliable unit... We now have 4 different Dash inserts to choose from and we still Custom Build them for any customer who wishes to make theirs different! https://www.gnsperformance.com/g-body-dash-inserts

I would be happy for anyone that questions our dash inserts to speak to any of our customers who purchased one, and I am sure they wouldn't mind talking to anyone. If anyone has questions regarding our dash inserts please feel free to call me @ 865-680-4008 and please help spread the word that the GNS Dash is NOT a NVU or AVC dash!

- Scot