You can type here any text you want

Oil pan drain.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DarthBuick

I Win even in your dreams.
Has anyone changed the oil drain plug to external? I noticed when I was building my engine that the oil drain plug protrudes inside the pan about 5/16 of an inch. When we change the oil in these cars any funk and a lot of dirty oil remains in the pan. I am thinking about pulling the pan and welding a outside bung so it will drain the pan completely because I forgot about it when the engine was out. . When I pulled the pan the first time it had some sludge in the bottom. I also found a razor blade in the pan.

Has anyone changed the oil drain plug to external? I noticed when I was building my engine that the oil drain plug protrudes inside the pan about 5/16 of an inch. ........................

We started welding another bung on the outside of the pan over 20 years ago as I do not like a pint of old oil and debris always staying in the bottom of the pan.

A magnetic drain plug is also a required part on all my cars, and I usually pour 1/2 quart of fresh oil in the engine while the plug is out to help "coach" out any remaining old oil.

Most of my current engines have the RJC extended oil pan which comes with the external oil plug bung.

Has anyone changed the oil drain plug to external? I noticed when I was building my engine that the oil drain plug protrudes inside the pan about 5/16 of an inch. When we change the oil in these cars any funk and a lot of dirty oil remains in the pan. I am thinking about pulling the pan and welding a outside bung so it will drain the pan completely because I forgot about it when the engine was out. . When I pulled the pan the first time it had some sludge in the bottom. I also found a razor blade in the pan.
You can take a angle grinder or a cutoff tool and cut an X across the top bung to make 4 drain slots in it. Just go carefully so as to not get into the pan sheet metal. Buy an extra bolt to run in and out a few times to clean the threads.

You can take a angle grinder or a cutoff tool and cut an X across the top bung to make 4 drain slots in it. .......

That is also a good option, but I prefer big hole vs. small slots as I would like the oil flow velocity to carry out as much debris and particles as possible when the plug is pulled.:)

That is also a good option, but I prefer big hole vs. small slots as I would like the oil flow velocity to carry out as much debris and particles as possible when the plug is pulled.:)
I agree nick, depending on the owners abilities and resources it is an option that works though, not every one has a tig and shop access, but most have a grinder or cut off wheel. (y)

I moved it to the side by adding a angle like suggested. I am also putting a neodymium magnet in the pan and I hope it doesn't suck up manhole covers as I drive over them:woot:.

You guys are killing me here. I'm gonna leave that alone so you can think about what you just posted.:ROFLMAO:

You guys are killing me here. I'm gonna leave that alone so you can think about what you just posted.:ROFLMAO:

Many times we take ourselves and this board too seriously, and I am so glad you try and lighten up the mood for us Charlie!

Back