Oil Pump

rumcayman

I need to replace my oil pump will any oil pump for the buick 3.8 work or did the turbo regal carry a special pump.Also the motor is stock but i do plan on upgrading turbo,injectors etc. is the oil pump something i should upgrade anyway and if it is who offers a good inexpensive upgrade pump.

Just about any parts store sells rebuild kits. If you have time and ability I would suggest doing the "earls front cover mods" and maybe a high volume pump. You'll get a lot of mixed opinions on the high volume thing. I like them but I have my engine set up on the loose side so I can use the volume. If you have enough pump to where the bypass regulates the pressure you don't need one. If you have a sixty pound bypass and you only get 40 psi of oil pressure I would go high volume.

Most main named auto parts stores carry these. I drill an additional oiling hole between the teeth on the idler gear. Gaskets thickness is critical for good oil pressure. TA Performance are oiling experts in my Book. My last engine had 25 to 30# of oil pressure at hot idle and 60# WOT. My front cover was modified by TA and pump fitted with their sinter metal wear plate with stock gears not HV ones. No leaks from the pump anywhere. Before the pump seized due to lack of proper end clearance, built by a known engine builder. I bevel the driver shaft slot to help install the cam sensor. Another nightmare for me on my last engine. Good Luck. HTH Gene