Opinions on TCI's recomendations for my Mazda

mactizen

Talked with TCI the other day about what they would recomend for my setup, wich since most don't know is a GN swapped 84 Mazda wich is mostly going to be used for drag racing and some mild street cruising on Saturday nights no grocery getting. Anyway since the car with me in it will be in the 2500 lbs range I have been looking at powerglides mostly for consistancy and weight/size savings. I am running a 3.27 gear in the back with a 28" tall tire, they suggested a powerglide with a 1.97 first gear and a 9.5" 4500 stall converter. My concerns were that I don't read alot of threads where anyone uses that high of a stall so I wanted to see if if there was any drastic negatives too it and what you think of a using it for light street driving. As said in another thread there arn't too many glides out there in Buicks, but still interested to see what some of those with more tranny knowledge then I think.

the glide is a horrible choice for that application.no gearing and you need 1000 horsepower at htat weight to make it work with that axle ratio.use a good built th350.

Like Chris said

A th350 would work great in there. As for the converter, what turbo do you plan on running? What else is done to the engine { IE ported heads, cam, etc}. The stall speed will need to be a little higher than normal because the vehicle doesn't weight a lot.

Mike.

heads are ported iron's stock cam currently and a te-62 turbo wich will be upgraded to something dual BB sometime soon.

the glide is a horrible choice for that application.no gearing and you need 1000 horsepower at htat weight to make it work with that axle ratio.use a good built th350.

I emailed you through your site but i got no response as of yet on the set up or gearing, anyway I don't remeber the exact 1st gear in a 200-4r but i believe it's int he 2.50 range would the jump from 2.5 to 1.97 (they also offer a 2.11)make the car impossible to get out of the hole? On a TB with some decent boost I can't imagine it would be that hard to get a 2500# car moving. I don't know much about trannys and torque converters wich I can freely admit but would it really be an impossible task?