Over heated Borg Warner ignition module, TR6 heat tolerance

DieHardBuick

It's that time of year in Texas. My 87 GN does not overheat in traffic, less than 190*, but without the normal air flow the Underwood temps seem to cause the ignition module to act up. It starts misfiring and throws a code 42. Let it cool off of start driving at normal speeds and it's fine again . Have the module tested and it tests fine. Wondering if it might be something else or a different module option. I would go with the TR6 if it has enough heat tolerance for daily driving in Texas. TIA

I've had one in the past that looked like that. Turned to goo. Current ones look fine. I have a spare and they both have the same issue, assuming they are the problem.

Mount powder coated?
Bolts tight?
Might clean the mount plate and base of the module, and put a THIN coating of HEAT SINK grease on it.
That will enhance the heat transfer to the mount plate.
FWIW, HEAT SINK grease IS NOT dielectric grease.

In the 6 or so years we have been making the TR6 I am unaware of any heat related issues. There are many units installed in Texas.

It is designed with underhood temperatures in mind.

I have seen many of the stock modules turn to goo over the years, I don't think its related to underhood heat, but an internal failure that causes the potting compound to break down.

Bob

Mount powder coated?
Bolts tight?
Might clean the mount plate and base of the module, and put a THIN coating of HEAT SINK grease on it.
That will enhance the heat transfer to the mount plate.
FWIW, HEAT SINK grease IS NOT dielectric grease.
I cleaned and tightened everything when I swapped injectors and replaced the injector harness a few weeks ago and the mount is not powder coated. The heat sink grease sounds like a good idea regardless. The one thing I haven't replaced in years is the coil pack. Is the coil just as likely as the module with this problem?

They should be replaced together. If one fails, it eventually wipes out the other.
That's what I'm thinking, replace them both. The question is with what. Assuming the AC Delco unit is the best for stock replacement, are the AC units on Rock Auto and Highway Stars both true AC as advertised? Assuming they are, which coil - stock AC, Borg Warner, or the hipo unit from Full Throttle. The TR6 has the most appeal but with the 4 to 8 week waiting period the stock route would be much faster. These cars make my head hurt.

That's what I'm thinking, replace them both. The question is with what. Assuming the AC Delco unit is the best for stock replacement, are the AC units on Rock Auto and Highway Stars both true AC as advertised? Assuming they are, which coil - stock AC, Borg Warner, or the hipo unit from Full Throttle. The TR6 has the most appeal but with the 4 to 8 week waiting period the stock route would be much faster. These cars make my head hurt.

I know Boost Crew here in Louisville usually has one or two TR6's in stock. You might want to call them if you're interested in the box. I keep my old OE style module, coil, and wires with me in the car as a backup, though the TR6 has given me nearly three years with zero trouble.