Panel gap- what needs to move?!

Dustin The Wind

Hey guys,

When I bought my car ('86GN) the fillers were gone and the bumper was tweaked, so I never got a good look as to how everything should be. I got a new bumper/fillers installed, and was greeted by this huge gap between the grille and bumper! The thing is, I'm stumped as to how it should be closed- the bumper can't come closer, the fillers can't move, and the grille doesn't seem to be adjustable. Any thoughts?

2013-12-15 18.53.43.jpg
2013-12-15 18.53.49.jpg

The bumper shocks - if they are stock style - can certainly be compressed a bit.
That would be my suspicion.
If the mounts are not the stock shock type - then....wut's up?

The grill is held forward by the springs.
It should roughly adhere to the contour of the header.
Of course it can't come too far forward.
There are stops tabs on the grill

The bumper is put together using the reinforcements and the mounting brackets.
Those are hard; non adjustable points.
It is what it is.

So - I look at the mounts as the culprit.

I just noticed your picture - the header and bumper are off the car.I retract all the above.
Heck - no idea until you start bolting this stuff together.
You are implying that the fillers have bottomed out inside the bumper - and keep it from goinmg back any further?

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like your grill springs are missing and not pulling the grill up flush with the header panel.

It looks like your grill springs are missing and not pulling the grill up flush with the header panel.

Yeah - super.
It will be two missing grill springs that solve this ancient mystery. :D
Sort of like Occam's Razor..right?

If more people listened to Occam, they're be less alimony in the world.

...and floppy grills.

My 87 GN has a gray plate that mounts to the back of the bumper. It is between the bottom of the grill and the back of the bumper. It seems to be there for appearance. It mounts with 4 screws.

My 87 GN has a gray plate that mounts to the back of the bumper. It is between the bottom of the grill and the back of the bumper. It seems to be there for appearance. It mounts with 4 screws.

Yup they call that the center bumper filler just there for looks. Also a thing you can check is the bumper shocks at the ends where they bolt into the bumper. They used factory shims to align the bumper if there are too many in there It would stick out to. How is you door gap? Bumper shocks can be drilled if you want them to compress in a little. There is hydraulic fluid in them.