You can type here any text you want

panhard bar?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

berserker6

Assistant to the regional manager
does anyone make a panhard bar for our cars? i am familiar with the GNX suspension and the now discontinued remakes of that suspension. but im just looking for a panhard kit. not another remake. any leads?

There is no need for one.

We have a triangulated 4 link suspension that helps locate the rear. The GNX needed it cause it used a torque arm.

HTH

It did help thanks. And as soon as I read triangulated it made sense to me. Thanks again

We have a triangulated 4 link suspension that helps locate the rear. The GNX needed it cause it used a torque arm.

HTH

It's a triangulated 4-link that SUCKS. The rear roll center height is something like 18" above ground because of the super-short upper arms.

A panhard or a watts link will restrict the rear end movement and allow you to set the roll center smack dab in the middle of the pumpkin.

HTH

Yeah if the stock triangulated 4-link worked perfectly, then a panhard rod would be useless.

BUT, since our beautiful stock suspension is stamped steel there is a lot of sway/give under hard cornering/racing. I have a few buddies that installed panhard setups on their A/B-bodies and it definitely shows on the autocross.

the Watts link is sick too...

If our factory set-up sucks, tell that to the Corvette guys and others who have to invest several 1000's of dollars to get what we can for under a grand. Just talking suspension and not rearend, you can get high end upper and lower arms and HR bar for under a grand. Throw in airbags and you have guys running 9's. Tires, gears, shocks, and posi are not included because everyone else needs them too. My Max Wedge car is a Uni-body leaf spring car. I can go 9's with subframe connectors, super stock springs and good shocks. Not too many others can even come close with out a welder.

:biggrin:

It works very well. I am wondering why somebody would think it sucks.

Because they've driven something better and know what a rear suspension that behaves sanely feels like?

The four link in our cars was designed to be cheap and allow adequate back seat room, not to provide favorable vehicle dynamics.

Thnx T-CHRGD... was it a noticeable improvement?
I'm assuming that it only works in conjunction WITH an anti-roll bar, correct?

How much weight does this add also?

It Is the ultimate set-up for handling. Totally smooth and predictable.
With the Watts Link, you definitely need a sway bar, and for best results, trailing arms with some type of articulating joint (as opposed to fixed bushings). I use Currie Currectracs. Spohn Delasphere's would be good also. What this does is allow each piece to do Only it's primary job. The trailing arms control axle travel ( up and down - Without Binding), the Watts controls lateral axle movement (so the arms no longer need to), and the swaybar controls body lean. :biggrin:

So do you still have upper arms in their stock locations, or something different?

I'm also curious about the weight, although I'm guessing the benefits outweigh the . . . umm . . . weight.

It Is the ultimate set-up for handling. Totally smooth and predictable.
With the Watts Link, you definitely need a sway bar, and for best results, trailing arms with some type of articulating joint (as opposed to fixed bushings). I use Currie Currectracs. Spohn Delasphere's would be good also. What this does is allow each piece to do Only it's primary job. The trailing arms control axle travel ( up and down - Without Binding), the Watts controls lateral axle movement (so the arms no longer need to), and the swaybar controls body lean. :biggrin:

How much weight do you think this ads?

So do you still have upper arms in their stock locations, or something different?

I'm also curious about the weight, although I'm guessing the benefits outweigh the . . . umm . . . weight.

I use Currie upper adjustable arms (with Johnny joints - articulating 'bushings'). They are in the stock location.
The Watts Link package weighs about 37-38 lbs. Worth every ounce IMO :biggrin:

GNX used panhard, because...........

they did not use upper control arms.
so they were NOT triangulated.
they used lowers and a torque arm, and a panhard bar.only!

actually.........

the car was built as a std GN with both upper control arms,
ASC removed the upper control arms,and installed the torque arm set up,
go figure!

Its still a triangulated 4 link so it still laterally locates the rear. The purpose of a watts link is to keep the rear end from moving side to side. The upper links of the 4 link, wether it is a swivel link or not, also prevents the side to side movement of the rear. Having both would cause conflicting roll centers and the car will try to rotate around two different points. This creates a tremendous amount of stress on all of the suspension components, and causes the car to handle poorly.

The swivel links from DSE are great pieces. They allow the rear to move smoothly through suspension travel and roll. They do their best to limit bind which is one downfall of ALL triangulated four links.

The only time a watts link or Panhard bar is needed is on a rear with parallel control arms like a parallel four link, torque arm, or a three link because their control arms only distribute forces towards the front and back of the car.

SW.

Back