Parachute suggestions needed

turbobitt

Need to install a chute but know nothing about them. Would like some input on brand and pricing. Also would like to know what other equipment will be needed such as mounts, cables and levers.
I'm going to try and make this a removable mount for street driving.
AG

I like the Simpson, its simple easy to mount and relatively easy to pack. The chute and replacement pilot chutes are available at Summit.

I think Stroud probably makes the best chutes but they are a little pricier and for our weight they want to sell you two of them plus the launcher system etc.

Summit has a nice mounting kit with handle cable and clevis joint which gives you everything will need. If you have a proshop discount (NHRA License) the savings on the Simpson chute is pretty steep, if you dont PM I can buy it for you if you want.

I like the Simpson, its simple easy to mount and relatively easy to pack. The chute and replacement pilot chutes are available at Summit.

I think Stroud probably makes the best chutes but they are a little pricier and for our weight they want to sell you two of them plus the launcher system etc.

Summit has a nice mounting kit with handle cable and clevis joint which gives you everything will need. If you have a proshop discount (NHRA License) the savings on the Simpson chute is pretty steep, if you dont PM I can buy it for you if you want.

Yes I would be interested in having you buy it if you don't mind and we can figure out a way to tranfer funds.

I was doing some looking around and see different mounting kits but don't think I saw the Summit kit. Can you give me a link ?

Allan G.

Yes I would be interested in having you buy it if you don't mind and we can figure out a way to tranfer funds.

I was doing some looking around and see different mounting kits but don't think I saw the Summit kit. Can you give me a link ?

Allan G.
I can send him the funds via paypal as a personal transaction and no fees and you can just pay me when you see me.

get the one that guy that jumped from space used, if that wont slow down a buick nothing will:)

Leave it on for street driving. Can imagine the crowd going nuts at Panera bread if you pop it on the Pike.:eek:

I've used the stroud and the Simpson and prefer the stroud. To me packing the stroud was easier. Chris is right, they want to sell you much more chute than you need, probably for liability reasons. I just got the largest single chute they make and it's plenty. I would buy whatever chute someone local to you uses so they can help you pack it a few times. It's much easier once you see how it's done.

I've used the stroud and the Simpson and prefer the stroud. To me packing the stroud was easier. Chris is right, they want to sell you much more chute than you need, probably for liability reasons. I just got the largest single chute they make and it's plenty. I would buy whatever chute someone local to you uses so they can help you pack it a few times. It's much easier once you see how it's done.

Dusty,

Do you have the Stroud model number for the chute ?

Allan G.

Dusty,

Do you have the Stroud model number for the chute ?

Allan G.
Sorry for the stupid questions but have been really busy this week and havn't put the time into researching this like I should. This is what I came up with.

Stroud Chute and launcher - Jegs P/N 877-430-3014803 ($675.99)
Chute Rack mount - Comp Engineering 3451 ($49.99)
Release Cable kit - Jegs P/N 555-1210 ($89.99)
Grip for release cable - 555-1211 ($19.99)

I think this covers everything ?

Allan G.

Sorry for the stupid questions but have been really busy this week and havn't put the time into researching this like I should. This is what I came up with.

Stroud Chute and launcher - Jegs P/N 877-430-3014803 ($675.99)
Chute Rack mount - Comp Engineering 3451 ($49.99)
Release Cable kit - Jegs P/N 555-1210 ($89.99)
Grip for release cable - 555-1211 ($19.99)

I think this covers everything ?

Allan G.
Im using this
http://www.djsafety.com/Parachutes.html
Have not had 1 issue with it.

How about some pictures of Chute mount and location. Anyone want to share ???

I'm guessing that I'll have mine dissconnect behind the license plate and have the actual chute teathered to frame X-member behind the bumper.

Allan G.

Will mounting it wrong cause the car to come off the ground?

No but if it is mounted wrong, it has to be pointed upwards, the chute will not open or deploy. If you have wheelie bars it can also get tangled in the bars and make a mess.

How about some pictures of Chute mount and location. Anyone want to share ???

I'm guessing that I'll have mine dissconnect behind the license plate and have the actual chute teathered to frame X-member behind the bumper.

Allan G.

Here is my old TSO car. If you have a rear frame its just a bar behind the bumper with an off shoot through the bumper and the chute mount can easily be mounted and dismounted
5832.jpg

If you have a back half car you will likely have to go through the license plate. My twin car has a back half and done like this, I can take pics today and post them if you need them

The more pictures the better. I have a back half car with a x-member that would make it convienient to mount near the license plate.

Allan G.

Thanks gus, ths is really good info. I think I have a general direction.

Allan G.

I like my Stroud and its easy to pack. They told me the chute should be as close to a 45 Deg angle as possible and the forward part of the bag should be at the trailing edge of the wing on my car.
DSCN0696.jpg

IMG_3639.jpg

The chute mounting point should be at the crankshaft center line. My chute mount is vertical and have no issues. I have a Simpson and thinking about going with the Stroud when the time comes. I could pack my chute myself but it's a PIA, much easier with two people. An air launcher is even easier to pack.

You also need a cable clamp with 12" of the end of the cable to be NHRA legal.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Attachments

• DSC_0065.JPG
    DSC_0065.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 517