Parachute suggestions needed

Im just qouting what the tec at Jerry Bickle race cars told me about the mount with a wing at least:) . I had mine mounted at less angle before i installed the wing and it would drag down the track a ways before it would deploy. Bickle said to get it up in the air stream to grab the air so i did and it seems better now. Here is some good info from Bob Stroud:
Racers Q & A with Bob Stroud of Stroud Safety
http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/stroud-parachute-qa.html

Hey guys,

How about some ideas on the chute release ? Any pictures ?

I really don't have a convienient place for the handle so I'm up in the air with a spring release or the air launcher.

Allan G.

Im my old car I had it mounted down by the console on the passenger side next to the shifter. Not the greatest location but it worked. If you have a funny car cage mount it high on the roof it is easier to see and easier to pull. You can see it hanging down from the cage in this pick. On my new car it will be in the same location along with the pull cable for the fire system.
IMAG1099.jpg

Im my old car I had it mounted down by the console on the passenger side next to the shifter. Not the greatest location but it worked. If you have a funny car cage mount it high on the roof it is easier to see and easier to pull. You can see it hanging down from the cage in this pick. On my new car it will be in the same location along with the pull cable for the fire system.
IMAG1099.jpg

Thanks for the picture. I don't have a nice fancy cage like that but If I did it would be mounted like your picture. Since I'm going to add a CO2 bottle I may just simplify it and just us a pushbutton on the consol and an air launcher.

Allan G.

turbobitt said:
Thanks for the picture. I don't have a nice fancy cage like that but If I did it would be mounted like your picture. Since I'm going to add a CO2 bottle I may just simplify it and just us a pushbutton on the consol and an air launcher.

Allan G.

I will be getting my car back from the fabricators shop tomarrow and will try and post pics. Very happy with the chute mount and also had the inner wheel wells redone.
AG

Here is my old TSO car. If you have a rear frame its just a bar behind the bumper with an off shoot through the bumper and the chute mount can easily be mounted and dismounted
5832.jpg

If you have a back half car you will likely have to go through the license plate. My twin car has a back half and done like this, I can take pics today and post them if you need them
I like the set up on this one. Bars you make them yourself?

This is what I ended up doing on mine.

AG

Attachments

• image-1700150135.jpg
    image-1700150135.jpg
    418.7 KB · Views: 389
  • image-1523749075.jpg
    image-1523749075.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 331
  • image-4229750544.jpg
    image-4229750544.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 344
J-B Racing said:
nice job Dude...

Thanks,
I forgot to mention that it is completely removable for street driving. I have a round rubber grommet in the bumper with a tube that barely sticks out and the Clevis/chute is fastened behind the bumper much like a class 3 hitch.
AG

What brand and size did you end up buying? Is that a Co2 launcher going in behind the plate or more of the mount?

Mike E said:
What brand and size did you end up buying? Is that a Co2 launcher going in behind the plate or more of the mount?

Good eye, yes that is a co2 launcher. Chute is a Stroud model 430.
AG

A little cheater tub job ?
Not sure I can do that with TSO, but don't know why not, we are allowed to notch the frame.
The street car may get both, no rules out there.....
My chute comes thru the license plate too, cable pull currently, no launcher.

lrayzer said:
A little cheater tub job ?
Not sure I can do that with TSO, but don't know why not, we are allowed to notch the frame.
The street car may get both, no rules out there.....
My chute comes thru the license plate too, cable pull currently, no launcher.

It's still a cable pull but the launcher pushes the chute out instead of a spring. You can get another cylinder that will do the same thing as a manual cable.
AG

I also needed to redo the inner wheel tubs since the original mini tubes were just widened stock ones. I never intended to run anything bigger than 28 inch tire but things change and now 31 inch tires grow and hit the rear inner corners. Everything is rough and needs some finish work when weather gets warmer.
AG

Attachments

• image-3913214229.jpg
    image-3913214229.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 249
  • image-3368490046.jpg
    image-3368490046.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 236
I also needed to redo the inner wheel tubs since the original mini tubes were just widened stock ones. I never intended to run anything bigger than 28 inch tire but things change and now 31 inch tires grow and hit the rear inner corners. Everything is rough and needs some finish work when weather gets warmer.
AG
So did you go with a 33" tub ?, or just maximize the factory wheelhouse size

So did you go with a 33" tub ?, or just maximize the factory wheelhouse size

Was a custom made tub to maximize the factory outer. My fabricater buddy has the pitsburg machine(whatever that is) that can make them.
Allan G.