You can type here any text you want

performance modifications?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
That really depends on the converter & turbo combo. But if you have a TE 44 & a 2800 stall you should be perfect. If thats the combo you have, there's something else going on...cracked header, vac lines, poor chip, over fueled, etc.....From what I've read I'm guessing your in FL??? If so you may also want to check out KDK, they know the cars very well also & are in FL.

May want to update your location, sig, etc. Sure makes it a lot easier for folks trying to give you advise. It can be done under the user cp at the top of the board.

I am sorry about the sig, I will update it with new info soon.
I live near New Orleans. I am sending "Katrina" off to California to have Lou's Auto go over it, tune and upgrade.

I had more fun bracket racing this car than I did with my others...I am addicted to boost. I see alot of guys here have larger turbos, higher stall and was wondering what kind of engine modifications are required to support the larger turbo.?

I just love this car, had one in the 80's...I have no problem dumping a little cash on it. I,ve been waiting two decades..LOL:D

I am sorry about the sig, I will update it with new info soon.
I live near New Orleans. I am sending "Katrina" off to California to have Lou's Auto go over it, tune and upgrade.

I had more fun bracket racing this car than I did with my others...I am addicted to boost. I see alot of guys here have larger turbos, higher stall and was wondering what kind of engine modifications are required to support the larger turbo.?

I just love this car, had one in the 80's...I have no problem dumping a little cash on it. I,ve been waiting two decades..LOL:D

With the new billet wheel turbos from Precision Turbo and converters from PTC (Dusty) and the 9/11 from PTS you can make a huge amount of power without going too big in turbo size or stall speed. Razor has caused a small epidemic with the Alkycontrol kits that keep you with 93 octane in the tank and methanol injection to run higher amounts of boost and timing while avoiding detonation. About how much horsepower do you want to make? What type of ETs are you looking for? How much are you going to race the car vs. drive it on the street. Some combos are very fast and retain the street manners GNs are known for. Some are outright track monsters but will have you dying to get out when you reach your destination. Bigger isn't always better as GM proved with the GN... HTH

Mid to high 11's would be fine.

I have the alky kit and scanmaster although maybe an older one.Still works fine.

I dont want to drive it daily or even weekly. Maybe the occasional car show or event.

I would like to bracket race it maybe once a month or when my other car is down.

Mid to high 11's would be fine.

I have the alky kit and scanmaster although maybe an older one.Still works fine.

I dont want to drive it daily or even weekly. Maybe the occasional car show or event.

I would like to bracket race it maybe once a month or when my other car is down.

Thats not hard to attain. You appear to have the parts to reach your goal already. Some tuning, a good once over, and seat time is all you really need. I have seen post of stock, turbo, intercooler, and converter mid 11 second cars, and modded to death 13 second cars.
Do you do any hands on work yourself?

Thats not hard to attain. You appear to have the parts to reach your goal already. Some tuning, a good once over, and seat time is all you really need. I have seen post of stock, turbo, intercooler, and converter mid 11 second cars, and modded to death 13 second cars.
Do you do any hands on work yourself?

Well, I ain't no mechanic but can follow directions pretty good.
The car is already in-route to Lou.

What would should I have him do, check or change???

I was thinking a higher stall and 66mm turbo if the current engine set-up can handle this.

I would wait to see how everything checks out with Lou first. Only replace whats needed and see what type of performance he can get out of what you already have. Then mod as needed for reliability.

Have Lou replace the ATR wastegate. They are a PILE!!! I use to be an ATR distributor, too. Everyone I sold, I've had to replace. They are just not a good design. They control boost for about a week, then they FAIL.....miserably. The internal diaphram tears and then boost is VERY lazy, because they stick partially open. Probably your problem. Here is a picture of how they fail:

Attachments

• old hard drive pics 1203.jpg
    old hard drive pics 1203.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 409
Have Lou replace the ATR wastegate. They are a PILE!!! I use to be an ATR distributor, too. Everyone I sold, I've had to replace. They are just not a good design. They control boost for about a week, then they FAIL.....miserably. The internal diaphram tears and then boost is VERY lazy, because they stick partially open. Probably your problem. Here is a picture of how they fail:

Yeah.. That's the one I got.. Lou said it was crap.

What is the best replacement?

Lou is one of the only people that I trust with my GN. You'll get your moneys worth, and he wont sell you anything that you don't need.

Mike Barnard

Wow, another local guy. Sure wish you would have signed on here a little sooner, we could have saved your car a trip across the nation!

I suspect I'll need occassional help with tunning.
Where in Louisiana are ya? I have a shop in Belle Chasse.

Wow, you sent your car all the way to California?? I'm right up the road along with several other Buick nuts all around here.

Thanks for the response...

This post is a bit old. I have had the car back a while now and getting some good times at the track (11.56 w/1.57 60ft)

Learning the scan master and playing with timing/fuel/boost.

Next thing would be a turbo, downpipe, chip upgrade and ported intake to match my heads. Who around here can do this work for me???

I ain't a great mechanic and am busy with my work most of the time.

Also, I recently gave in to an impulse buy...I picked up a 1400hp monster 87-GN with a 500sbc and f2 procharger, 4200lb steet car...set to do 9.15 but capable of mid 8's with smaller procharger pulley and tune...Big Stuff 3..

I am in over my head here. A little help would be cool.

Thanks for the response...

This post is a bit old. I have had the car back a while now and getting some good times at the track (11.56 w/1.57 60ft)

Learning the scan master and playing with timing/fuel/boost.

Next thing would be a turbo, downpipe, chip upgrade and ported intake to match my heads. Who around here can do this work for me???

I ain't a great mechanic and am busy with my work most of the time.

Also, I recently gave in to an impulse buy...I picked up a 1400hp monster 87-GN with a 500sbc and f2 procharger, 4200lb steet car...set to do 9.15 but capable of mid 8's with smaller procharger pulley and tune...Big Stuff 3..

I am in over my head here. A little help would be cool.
Your in good hands with Jason. Have him look over everything on both cars. If you have 1400hp you have low 8 sec potential.

Back