Please stop parting out cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate to see them parted out too... I have seen nice cars parted out because it brought more that way:frown:

I would save them all if I had the money:biggrin:

A lot of people just laugh and say " every scrapped/ parted out car makes mine worth more " ... is that selfish, of course ... is that true, we will see in the future ---

Here's a car that should have been stripped and trashed. I'll tell you guys how much I have into it because I don't really care at this point. Bought it for 2100. Drivetrain was out and tore down and small parts were in buckets, dog dishes, and scattered in the car. This thread started over a year later, after I rebuilt a motor for it that was lying in the back of a scrap trailer and pieced the rest of it together using one that was sitting on the ground with grass growing out the carb http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/show-car-restoration-body-repair/245736-my-progress-thread.html

Not rare at all ????? there were just over 7000 1968 z28s manufactured those are not being parted out regularly. 2000 is the number usually cited for 84 GNs that would be much more rare than a 68z28. The number of TRs that have never been all "fouled" up with various mods will ultimately be even smaller. So yes,they are "rare".
The cars are given less respect than any other model I personally know of .From parting out as well as from the wannabe Smokey Yunicks of the world.
Read,read,read is the common advise for those perceived as needing the sage advise of the resident Yodas. If ya' don't screw around with the damn thing you probably won't need to "read" anything more that the factory manual.
My car is an 84. These are really worthless pieces of crap according to the average GN enthusiast. Non TR people love my car,it is gorgeous,there too stupid to know it is a second class collectable. Point is, people are going to have regrets in the future. As we continue to screw up the garden variety 86/87 cars while using the 84/85s as cheap parts whores we continue to thin the herd. But hell, they grow on trees!
Thats correct. Not rare at all. I could find several 84 GN's for sale within 10 minutes of looking. 67 z28 (If its legitimate and can be proven) is much more rare and in much more demand compared to whats out there. The actual production number means little to what the real deal is. Demand is everything. Nobody thought about saving anything back then and most were destroyed. TR's will never get o that point because they produced so many more of them and a lot were saved right from the start. Too anyone in this thread that want a cheap car next time i get one ill take off what i need and list it on ebay with a low reserve and you guys can have at it. The truth is i doubt it will get much action.

I have no guilt .I have parted 3 cars and one was an 81 converted to a gn .We used the parts on a real gn show winner
second car was a dukes of hazzard bent frame t-top car and third was an NA limited which was totaled and a salvage title.
The problem is so many are stolen and when recovered to salvage they get crushed or are worth nothing with a salvage title.
If it wasnt for the parts cars the restorers would have nowhere to get the resources needed to rebuild a nice ride from nothing .It kind of goes hand in hand.these cars are close to 25 years old now and the less there are the more they are worth ,Supply and Demand .
PS I did buy a car with intentions to part with a salvage title.I am in the process of restoring .Problem is Ive been saying that for 10 years.Im getting there!
4450161409_78a25506c1_o.jpg

I have no guilt .I have parted 3 cars and one was an 81 converted to a gn .We used the parts on a real gn show winner
second car was a dukes of hazzard bent frame t-top car and third was an NA limited which was totaled and a salvage title.
The problem is so many are stolen and when recovered to salvage they get crushed or are worth nothing with a salvage title.
If it wasnt for the parts cars the restorers would have nowhere to get the resources needed to rebuild a nice ride from nothing .It kind of goes hand in hand.these cars are close to 25 years old now and the less there are the more they are worth ,Supply and Demand .
PS I did buy a car with intentions to part with a salvage title.I am in the process of restoring .Problem is Ive been saying that for 10 years.Im getting there!
4450161409_78a25506c1_o.jpg

Now those are the type of cars I feel should be parted out. A decent running cheap TR that could be restored shouldnt be.

I'm glad to see your rebuilding that GN with a salvaged title. We are doing the same with my little brothers 86 T. It has a salvaged title but we dont really care. Nothing we used was bent or broken. Like i said before, the only thing we are using is the body tub and title really. But thats the fun in this hobby. I finally drove the car up and down the road on it own power!!!!!

Greedy?? It is not greed, it is called making money. When I was raised, it was called "The American Way" I work and my retirement funds are there to MAKE ME MONEY.

I agree that our cars should be restored, in a perfect world, but these are tuff economic times......we need to liquidate assets so we can have a roof over our heads.

Wanna buy a fixer-upper Limited......... to save me from parting it out? :)

If it's a turbo Limited, yeah I'm definately interested. Send me a PM. I'll bring it back to new.

I also hate seeing these cars parted. It's bad enough so many of them are stolen each year that probably end up in pieces, but to see some cars that could easily be restored or at least made into decent drivers end up parted out makes me upset. Honestly, I think that is what separates the true TR enthusiasts from the guy that is just looking to make a quick buck.

Don't get me wrong as I am a realist and know that there are cars that are too far gone that are better off being parted, but I've also seen the flipside and that is what I am referring too.

i just bought my dream car couple weeks ago ..87 gn salvage title 166k original miles...interior pristine body and paint was fresh before it was crashed...im not going to lie i had thoughts of parting it out to make money to buy me another gn so i wouldnt go through the process of restoring it but man i am one happy motherf***** i got it for 3200 spent 130 for towing got a rad support,radiotor,fan,header panel,grill,bumpers, for 220 from a friend and then my other friend gave me a trunk and tail lights for free....gave my friend(bodyman) 500 bucks to pull the right quarter panel so that would put me at around 4 grand total spent.....i couldve easily parted it out but i told myself it would take me too long to buy me a gn with interior engine and body is this kind of condtition.....as for those parting these cars out i would just give it a thought becuase someone out their would love to restore it and make good memories with friends and family...at the age of 21 i feel like i made a very good choice ,and i cant wait to ride my gn.......

My 87 is 20 footer. The whole drivers inner and outer rocker is rusty, both rear quarters need patches in front of the rear wheels and the drivers quarter needs a patch behind the rear wheel. Wheel wells have some rust where they join the trunk floor and has dings and paint chip touch ups. Floor pans, trunk pans, doors, trunk lid, hood and fenders are solid. Car has 145,000 miles. I'm sure this would be parted by some. I like my driving my Regal better then my 96 Formula. I could care less how much my cars are going to be worth in the future, I don't plan on selling them. I can see why some get parted with alot of rust or accident damge to where the car is totalled but I see alot of rust free cars getting parted and cut up.

Attachments

• 100_0167.jpg
    100_0167.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 744
I still dont get why people would risk the consequences of stealing someones PERSONAL 25 year old vehicle thats worth $10k (being shot, Grand Theft, ect ect) ... when they could just go to a dealership and get a $80k car.

Nobody is going to shoot you at a dealership to get you to stop , and it would be easier to get rid of '10 parts even if they wanted to part it out.

Car theives SUCK , and I guess they are mainly idiots too?!

If you buy a salvage title car and plan to put a ton of $$ into it, please keep it ... or it will be a HUGE loss when you sell it ---

u can check out my thread to see more pics this is just 2 i wanted to put up so u guys can see...everybody that has helped put this car together cant wait to see on the road..
0309100959-00.jpg

0319101515-01.jpg

I like my driving my Regal better then my 96 Formula. I could care less how much my cars are going to be worth in the future, I don't plan on selling them.

I hear ya. My 93 is a solid car and runs great. Everything works and is comfortable. There's something about the TRs that just feel more real. I think it's all the damn plastic in the newer fbodies that throws me off. Nothin I love more than hearing the passenger side seat belt latch rattling on the plastic on the side of the seat whenever I hit a bump. flippin drives me nuts. I fixed that by turning up the 6 speaker stereo:biggrin:

you don't have enough

Thats correct. Not rare at all. I could find several 84 GN's for sale within 10 minutes of looking. 67 z28 (If its legitimate and can be proven) is much more rare and in much more demand compared to whats out there. The actual production number means little to what the real deal is. Demand is everything. Nobody thought about saving anything back then and most were destroyed. TR's will never get o that point because they produced so many more of them and a lot were saved right from the start. Too anyone in this thread that want a cheap car next time i get one ill take off what i need and list it on ebay with a low reserve and you guys can have at it. The truth is i doubt it will get much action.

Brains to be taken seriously. Do you think before you post or just randomly call people liars? To compare apples to apples one has to compare cars of the same age Einstien . the camaros would have been roughly the same age in the 80's (when you were failing grade school) as the GNs are now.

Yea! What about the little guys like me! I bought this 84 GN for 2200$ and plan on doing everything myself. Yea, I'm probably the youngest on this board, but I am not your run of the mill teenager. I have patience :eek:! Most people would consider this a parts car! Hell no! This is all mine, clean title, and very well optioned with the not so rare flinstone floors! Yea!

good luck bro, by the way im 18:D mayb the second youngest

hahahaha... comparing a 69 Z29 to a hot air car :eek: sure OK !!! If in doubt piece it out!! Guys don't like that then BUY the cars an fix them.. pretty easy solution !! I have an 87 Limited white "T" here for sale .. $1000. no drivetrain, doors or nose or interior. Just needs those parts.. oh the shell needs rockers, floors, and rear quarters. :cool: I have owned this car for prob 5/7 years.. Has nice mag wheels on the front. oh the windshield has a small crack goin from side to side. THIS CAR IS RARE compared to an 84 Hot Air car !!! Please someone "save" this car. Oh I prob have every part here to bring it back. :cool: YES I do have the center caps to !! There just no on the car. Didn't want the kids stealin them.

Attachments

• Limited T.jpg
    Limited T.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 352
Now thats a car that would have been worth fixing prior to it getting parted out. Just put a new body tub from an NA Regal on it. Now it's just dust in the wind! Take it to the scrap yard.