Port my stock turbo or upgrade to a ....

KrisR

Hey all,

First of all, what's the 'official name' for the stock turbo on an '86 GN? I've seen TA-44 mentioned, 49, etc.....

Is it worth rebuilding/porting a stock 93k-mile GN turbo or should I just upgrade? What would be a good streetable upgrade? I have a red-stripe converter, 36-lb injectors, Walbro 340, stock intercooler, stock motor, THDP, Hooker exhaust. Nothing really wrong with my turbo yet, just wondering.

Goal for the car is to run 12-ohs with full exhaust. I ran a 12.80 at 106 with 110 octane, 20psi, open exhaust dump last weekend.

Thanks,
Kris

44-49 are upgrade turbos and will get you your 12.0 with a good chip and race gas. Will probably have to boost to 24#s. You could also get there with the stocker, but you would really have to spin it above 24#s. Go to gnttype.org and look for the receipes. They will tell you what you need to do to get to 12.0 safely. Or call Jack Cotton or one of the other vendors.

On drag radials, I was always able to cut 1.6 60's, but don't remember what the 1/8th was. Car weighs 3770 w/driver

Sorry my question was for KrisR.

I don't get to 1/4 mile race much and I was thinking that a 12.8 was like 8.3 or so in the 1/8th.

The new GT3255 will spool faster and give much bbeter midrange than a 44/49. Also does not need any sort of converter
Mike

Originally posted by BarnesGN
What was your 60' and 1/8th times?

Sorry for the extremely-long wait for my response, Barnes...

60' was 1.87, 1/8 was 8.19 at 85.53

Tires were McCreary G60-15 wrinklewall dirttrack tires, FWIW.

Kris

Mike, tell us more about the GT3255. What injectors would go with it? Is it stock looking and everything hook up the same or do you have to modify? You say more mid range than a 49, how about on the higher end? Sounds like a great street turbo.

Originally posted by Night Train
44-49 are upgrade turbos and will get you your 12.0 with a good chip and race gas. Will probably have to boost to 24#s. You could also get there with the stocker, but you would really have to spin it above 24#s. Go to gnttype.org and look for the receipes. They will tell you what you need to do to get to 12.0 safely. Or call Jack Cotton or one of the other vendors.

For what it's worth, most people find the stock turbo to become inefficeint after 22psi. Seems most people actually slow down after that.

A 44 or 49 will do you good.