You can type here any text you want

Power plate or not?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
To look on the flip side....can you really say the thing is restrictive that it is if the openings on the plate all together are the same size as the inlet into the plenum. Once again been beat to death

I don't trust these. They supposedly equalize air in each cylinder but not by improving air flow, but rather by restricting air to some cylinders :confused:. Anyway you look at it, it doesn't make more air come into the engine if it has to pass through the small holes in the plate.

Claude. :)
Thanks for not having a smart mouth like a child !!!!

Any time you make air pass through a change in cross-section, such as from the plenum through the power plate, a pressure drop occurs. Basic fluid mechanics. If somebody tapped their plenum and intake manifold with a differential pressure sensor, they could measure the exact pressure drop.

Does the benefit of more equal airflow to the cylinders outweigh the pressure drop? Well, I think so, since I'm running one on my car. 25 psi with 100 octane and no-so-rich fueling is a bit dicey, and I believe the power plate helped me get there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Turbo Buick

To look on the flip side....can you really say the thing is restrictive that it is if the openings on the plate all together are the same size as the inlet into the plenum. Once again been beat to death
Why reply if you think it's been beat to death? Just pass on and not reply? You bored? Or just practicing your typing ?

Any time you make air pass through a change in cross-section, such as from the plenum through the power plate, a pressure drop occurs. Basic fluid mechanics. If somebody tapped their plenum and intake manifold with a differential pressure sensor, they could measure the exact pressure drop.

Does the benefit of more equal airflow to the cylinders outweigh the pressure drop? Well, I think so, since I'm running one on my car. 25 psi with 100 octane and no-so-rich fueling is a bit dicey, and I believe the power plate helped me get there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Turbo Buick

Think of how small the holes are in the intercooler. Can you imagine looking at a core with a fresh set of eyes and trying to imagine moving enough air through there to feed a high HP engine?

I love watching Grumpy give people internet weggies and then listen to them whine because they can't take a friendly ribbing.

I will admit though that I'm hesitant to post as the master of sarcasm might get me next.LOL :p

pulling lots of plugs I have found they look more even.i shoot methanol and nitrous through mine no issues with the plate.i had to pay more attention to the hot side/exhaust.

I have found they look more even.i shoot methanol and nitrous through mine no issues with the plate.

I have been thinking about using nitrous to help me launch, do you think I should use it or just get a better converter, if you don't mind answering that.

I was thinking about a 100 shot for the first second or until I hit 12/15 lbs. of boost.

depends on a lot of factors,traction,drivetrain strength,etc.the nice thing about a good converter is it is always there,but understand there is nothing like a nitrous hit the cost is its much harder on all the parts on the car.

I like 'em so much, I run two! Right on top of eachother...

JK, I do run one though. I also have a tornado restricting flow in my intake to prevent violent part throttle surge so maybe I'm a sucker for gimmicks that actually inhibit horsepower, but my car's fast enough for me right now, so who cares.

Any time you make air pass through a change in cross-section, such as from the plenum through the power plate, a pressure drop occurs. Basic fluid mechanics. If somebody tapped their plenum and intake manifold with a differential pressure sensor, they could measure the exact pressure drop.........

Mike, I agree with your statement about possible pressure drop across the plate, but flow is what we really want and need.

If you view the plenum and lower intake as an "air reservoir" that supplies air when an intake valve opens, the better the flow, the more air entering the combustion chamber.

When using a larger plenum or a spacer to give more volume, this provides a larger "reservoir" and less restriction for all the cylinders especially at higher RPM.

For demonstrating that the RJC PP does even out the flow, Jason has a leaf blower rigged to an intake/PP/head assembly that shows uneven flow w/o the PP, and even flow with the PP, and MANY guys have given testimony that it did allow them to add a little more boost w/o knock, and more power.

I thought we put this debate to bed many years ago by doing back-to-back runs, same GN,same day, same driver [me!], same track [BG, KY], ~2 more #'s of boost, better ET, more MPH with the plate on a TA-49 turbo. :)

For you old timers, Ken Moser was handling the test data and results that day! :cool:

I have to agree with the above too, with the RJC Plenum Plate installed, I have found that I can run about 2# more boost with no knock & spark plugs look more even in colour. Mine has been installed pretty much as soon as I bought the car many years ago, was one of the very first modifications done. I did finally replace the rear two bolts (closest to fire wall) with studs (about 1/8" - 1/4" longer) as I didn't like how the threads felt when tightening down with the factory length bolts.

Have got a Stock style Hemco 62mm plenum sitting on the shelf for quite a while & am actually toying with the idea of removing my RJC plate & installing the Hemco & logging a run to note any differences?
Am I crazy or what?
Does anyone have any real life experience with the Hemco's?

Maybe I should just leave well enough alone? You know the saying....IF IT AINT BROKE.....DON'T FIX IT ! LOL

I don't trust these. They supposedly equalize air in each cylinder but not by improving air flow, but rather by restricting air to some cylinders :confused:. Anyway you look at it, it doesn't make more air come into the engine if it has to pass through the small holes in the plate.

Claude. :)
These cars leaned the back 2 cylinders from the factory. The whole idea is to make all the cylinders even. Richard Clark tested the plate and it does exactly
what it's supposed to do. I don't believe it was ever supposed to "make more air come into the engine". Both my cars have them. -Pretty cheap insurance,
in my opinion....
Gary

The phrase 'improving air flow" doesn't mean "more air in all cylinders".

It means, evening out the airflow to all cylinders. Keep in mind, you can only tune to the weakest cylinder. If a power plate makes #6, for example, not go lean as fast, you can stuff more air into 1~5. The power plate won't magically put more air into the cylinders, but it will allow you to get away with stuffing the underfilled cylinders harder.

Well now I'm subscribed. I'm also interested in any real world data on the Hemco. I took out my stock plenum and RJC PP and put in a 70mm Hemco. I've run as much as 27# of boost with usually no Kr. I'm currently running 24# and don't see any Kr. I wouldn't call that data, so like I said I'd be interested in any input you may have.

Back