problem with 009's

seeyabye

Yesterday I installed a set of 009's and matching chip in my WE-4. The car idles great and drives good under light throttle. The problem is any more than 10 psi, the car starts missing and blowing black smoke out of the exhaust. Fuel pressure is set to 43 psi, boost at 15 psi. According to the scan tool everything looks normal. No codes, BLMs at 126-128 at idle in park, o2s are at 850-890 at wot (lowered the fp to 38 psi with no difference) Disconnecting the alky seems to help, but the car still falls on it's face. This sucks because before replacing the injectors, the car ran liked a raped ape. Is this a problem with the chip? TIA

Sell the 009's and get MSD 50's. I screwed with my car for three years trying to get those damn "fat on the bottom, lean up top" injectors to work. I don't know how many different chips I tried, none of them seemed to work much better than the others. Some people have good luck with them. Hope you get them figured out, I never could.

Eric

what jester said, i had the same damn problems. it seems like most people have good luck with them, im just 1 of the few that didnt.:mad: :D

There has got to be somebody out there that can burn a chip to run the 009s. I feel pretty confident that is the problem. I think this evening I'll throw the stockers back in so at least the car will be driveable. Thanks for the responses guys.

chip

Get yourself a Turbotweak chip. I have 009's and Eric cured all the stumble problems etc.

Ravi

i've tried both a Testa chip and a Reds93 for 009s. No problems with either one here. It did take a while to finally get the tune in, but once it was set, it worked fine. So, no stumbles with 009s.

009's

turn down the fuel pressure!
I use a JL, or RA chip, drives better than with stockers,
get 25mpg hiway, starts easy, smooth,
can't/ won't say how much quicker, ( using dash mounted Gtech, its MUCH quicker!)
to each their own.
good luck
cruzn57

I must say with my 009's the Red Armstrong chip had the smoothsest idle quality and best for daily driving. My turbotweak chip is definately the fastest though IMO.

I've had both and both are just fine.

I know of two very highly regarded chip makers who prefer 009's to 50's, so not everyone is convinced that 50's are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I guess that's what makes the world go 'round.

:D

thats a real bummer.....i've been through the mod gone bad routine with a shift kit....another story ....but i feel for ya.

i went with the 50's and am pleased, but it certainly sounds like a tuning issue.......850+millivolts is way rich so something is clearly wrong with the air/fuel.

When it comes right down to it, there is no reason to purchase 009s. I don't see anybody complaining about 50s and I've heard plenty of beefs about 009s. I guess it makes the "superior" tuners feel, well, more superior, if they can make their car run good on 009s. We poor mortals will just have to make due with our 50s. :(

Do 50s cost that much more? If you don't want to have any problems, just buy 50s......... unless you want to test your tuning skills. I replaced my stock injectors with 50s a couple years ago and the car reacts just the same. Same gas mileage, great idle, NO PROBLEMS. :D

Old wives tales my a$$. I had at least 3 pairs of chips (93+108) from Armstrong, and a Testa chip. NONE of them worked for crap. The Block learn was 90 at idle with an integrator of 94.(trying to lean it out) At WOT the BLM ws 140 as was the integrator.(too lean) O2 volts at WOT were always 750-780 on pump gas, way too lean. The car stumbled and stalled all of the time off of idle. I told John of Quad air that the car was too fat at idle and down low. I got new chips that were OK at idle, but the BLM's were back at 90 for the first two blocks after idle, it still stumbled it's a$$ off. The 108 chips always ran better on the street for some reason. The Testa chip was a little better, but not by much. I'm not trying to vendor bash, I know the two vendors are experienced and I have no problem with them. My 009's just never worked, period. It was not from a lack of experience or tuning. Good luck getting yours to work, I sincerely wish you the best.

Eric

i must have gottin lucky. my 009's have worked just great with my combo. i have a jay c. 100 oct. 24 deg. chip that pushes the car to mid 11's on 100 0ct. fuel with 0 knock.... i also keep that chip in for street use with 94 oct. fuel and alky... o knock... so far, i am a happy camper.