You can type here any text you want

pt-88 on a 3.8?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

norbs

Classic fast, XFI, SPortsman & MS3 programming
Just a quick question , would a pt-88 work on a 3.8 cubic inch motor, or would it not spool? Has anyone have any data on this. Is it possible to get a .81 a/r on a 88 4 bolt? The motor will have ported TA heads and headers on it and a fairly large roller cam. With a 3500 converter.

norbs said:
Just a quick question , would a pt-88 work on a 3.8 cubic inch motor, or would it not spool? Has anyone have any data on this. Is it possible to get a .81 a/r on a 88 4 bolt? The motor will have ported TA heads and headers on it and a fairly large roller cam. With a 3500 converter.

Don't think a .81 is available, just .96......3-bolt version may spool slightly quicker based on smaller exhaust inlet opening & velocity.
Also don't believe a 3500 converter is going to cut it on a 3.8........maybe 4000-4200?

Joe

Doesn't sound to promising, i may have to settle for something smaller. THanks for the replies.

norb

I have an 88 on my 3.8 liter stage II. It seems to work good, but I only got one 1/4 mile pass at the end of this last year.

Looks like it spooled alright, what is your stall? Stage 2 heads do flow alot of cfm though

A guy (Ryan Guy I think...lol) had an 88 on a 3.8 for Turbo Thunder a couple of years back. Used Nitrous to spool it. Got a warning from the track to slow down when he went into the 9's with it.

My 67 turbo was once at Limit being fixed so I bolted on my 4 bolt 88 because I was bored. With my zero boost at 3200 rpm converter it wouldn't even build one lb of boost.

Norbs, I have ported GN1's....... I don't know what the stall speed is at 0 boost, I do know that it is about 5500 at 10 psi though. :)

Chris, Ryan had to use a little nitrous because I think his converter was from the 76 combo and was a little tight.

Power87 would you have any idea what your heads flow and what a/r you are running?

CHris not even 1 psi of boost?????OUCH

norbs said:
Power87 would you have any idea what your heads flow and what a/r you are running?

CHris not even 1 psi of boost?????OUCH
The heads are just the standard GN1's fully ported by Dan Strezo, I don't know what they flow.

The turbo is a 4 bolt PTE88. It has the .96 housing, as Joe said. :cool:

Im suprised it works well for you. You must have a large stall? WHats the rpm that the boost starts to build on the trans brake or foot brake?

John Wilde said:
What spools faster a PT88, GT47 or Y2k88 BB???

Wouldn't we All like to Know??? :)

Don't know anybody that has run all 3 in the same engine combination and tune.?

Although not a problem for the big cube boys, I would guess the 88 BB for the 3.8 crowd :confused:

Joe

norbs said:
Im suprised it works well for you. You must have a large stall? WHats the rpm that the boost starts to build on the trans brake or foot brake?

I only have that one good 1/4 mile pass that I can go back and look at..... the other passes where tuning/ abortion passes to make sure it was safe.

I think the boost starts to build around 3800 but I might be wrong...... I thought the converter was too tight when I first got it running last september, But my tuner buddy Terry Ryan got it to spool. This is a whole new combo and my program needed some work.

It would be interesting to see a datalog of boost vs rpm. DO you have a fast system on the car? What was th boost on the 9.50 pass? I am counting about 6 seconds to spool from the video.

Back