rear end housing

chris 6

does any one know if i could use any other rear end housing for 87 gn and swap out the 342 gears and the posi ( my housing is bent)

'85-'87 Olds 442 rears are the same. Maybe other years as well but I'm not certain. :)

chris6, I thought any 10 bolt rear from say 1979 to 1987, monte, elcamino, cutlass, pontiac would work???? Then again I might be wrong !
Vern

Your forgetting another G-body the 8.5" rear-end came in.

The 1984 Hurst/Olds. It's the one with a Grey upper body, red stripe kit, and Black lower. The 1983 H/O came with the 7.5" rear-end, and was Black on top, red stripe kit, and Grey on the Bottom

So here is the revised list:

1984 Hurst/Olds, 3.73:1 ratio, posi optional.
1985-1987 Oldsmobile 442, 3.73:1 ratio, posi optional
1984-1985 Hot-Air Turbocharged 3.8L Regals, 3.42:1 posi optional
1986-1987 Cold-air Turbocharged 3.8L Regals, 3.42:1 posi optional

Ryan

Even GM knew that the SBC didn't have the torque (THAT'S what breaks rear-ends) to break a 7.5 in stock form.... LOL That's why the Olds and Buicks got the 8.5"

And to correct you, the Monte Carlo SS got a 7.625" rear-end.

Ryan

True about the 305 not needing the 8.5, but the olds 307 definetly didnt need it either. The 8.5 in the mid 80's 442's was way over kill.

I dunno, I've heard of a few guys breaking a 7.5" with a mild built 307. The main thing that kills them is traction.....with enough torque that is.

So while you guys may think the 8.5" was overkill in the H/O and 442's.....believe me. It was a good call on GM's part. If GM thought they could get away with a 7.5" being installed in there, they would have done it.

Ryan

You can break the 7.5/7.625 with a mildly built 305 as well...

Been there done that... right Geoff?

I shoulda kept the pics...

I remember seeing some 84 Hurst/Olds cars back in the day. It did have the nice beefy rear, but unless the ones the folks around here had were total pigs - those cars could barely break 17 secs in the quarter mile in stock form on a very good day.

A local guy put true duals, and did some other common hot-rodding tricks, and ended up knocking a full second off the car, but it was still slow compared to other cars of the day like the IROC-Z, etc..

I did like the looks though, and like our cars, it did have a real back seat, and other creature comforts.

Billy
Montgomery Village, MD

Originally posted by HI85WH1
You can break the 7.5/7.625 with a mildly built 305 as well...

Been there done that... right Geoff?

I shoulda kept the pics...

:cool:

Originally posted by Spdrcer34
Even GM knew that the SBC didn't have the torque (THAT'S what breaks rear-ends) to break a 7.5 in stock form.... LOL That's why the Olds and Buicks got the 8.5"

And to correct you, the Monte Carlo SS got a 7.625" rear-end.

Ryan

The real reason they only used the 8.5 in the Olds and Buick was that GM is split into two different engineering divisions. One includes Chevy,Pontiac and GMC and the other one is Buick,Olds and Cadillac. It isn't uncommon for each division to share drivetrain platforms. That is why in the 80's you could get a SBC in a Chevy and Pontiac but not in a Olds or Buick and you couldn't get a 307 in a MC or GP but only in a Cutlass or Regal. Although this doesn't explain how the Cutlass got the 8.5 maybe the torque rating of the high output 307(VIN code 9) is more than we think it is?

Man, one day just last week I was on Ebay scoutin' around and came accross a Hurst Olds in the parts-cars section. It was all dented up and looked like it'd bean through a war. It was sitting under a tree and looked like it hadn't moved in years.-I thaught, Man what a waste!!!:( I'm not sure what year, but I'll see if it's still there & what $ it is(I dont think it was much) and get back 2 u

I dont know what prices for 8.5 rears are on the US mainland.. but there is one for sale in Hawaii... $500 open carrier with 3.42's...

I recall seeing one with posi on ebay for $1200...