Rear main seal gaskets stripping during install

Jonathan Rowe

Trying to replace my rear main seal and when I try to install the new gaskets (Fel-Pro set from Kirban), they get about halfway in and then the top ridge on the gasket starts stripping off. I've lubed them up with oil and tried installing from both sides and received the same result. Am I doing something completely wrong?

are you talking about the the gasket that goes around the crank or the ones that goes into the sides there is a good tutorial on this site in the how to section that will make the job easy for you.

The issue is with the gasket that goes around the top of the crank. I looked for the "how to" here and didn't see it, do you have the subject name or link? I've read the guide from GNTTYPE.ORG and had no problem removing the existing seal. When I slide it in about 1/4 of the way there is a lot of resistance and if I continue to push the top part of the gasket starts stripping off. I've compared the existing gasket with the new one and they appear mostly identical. I'm at TDC so I'm wondering if I need to rotate the crank or something to slide it in?

Try to rotate the crank the same direction the seal is going in it has helped me in the past getting the upper seal in place I also leave one end out about 1/8 " and when the lower goes in it will line up and seal nice with a dab of sillicone..

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Are you using the wax rope or the new style neoprene?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

worse scenario would be that you had to loosen the main cap on the crank in front of rear main give you a little more clearance then retorque main I have done 4 different rear mains on 3 different buicks but I usually look at the bearing when I got pan off to check engine health,but i usually am working off a two post lift makes it a lot easier.I've also had good luck with using the silicone on the sides instead of the 2 rubber pieces provided as long as it sets over night to dry before starting

Try to rotate the crank the same direction the seal is going in it has helped me in the past getting the upper seal in place I also leave one end out about 1/8 " and when the lower goes in it will line up and seal nice with a dab of sillicone..

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
X2 This has worked for me also.

And when you do get it in place, leave it a little cocked so the gaps on the seal don't line up with the gap at the main cap. That'll help hold the drips at bay.

I'm using the new neoprene seal. I'll give it a shot by rotating the crank and let you guys know the outcome. Thanks everyone.