Rebuilt 87, now makes noise and overheats

mbardell2

I have had some serious problems with this engine! I had it rebuilt by class one machine in Freeport, Il, who has done all my work in the past. After completing assembly I installed the engine and broke in the cam (a 212/212 unit) the engine made a ton of noise and overheated pretty badly as well. no knocking though. I replaced the radiator but this made no difference. then it blew a head gasket. so I pulled the engine, we dissassembled it and went through it. everything in the bottom end was fine but a couple cam bearings,especially the first one, were chewed up pretty bad. installed a new cam and bearings and gaskets, new crank/rod brgs too, and put it back together. I started it and it sounds exactly the same temp started to skyrocket, so I shut it down- what next???

Need more details. What was put in the engine, pistons (cast, forged, bored how far), cam (flat tappet or roller), front cover (GM or aftermarket)? How much oil pressure do you have? What thermostat is in the motor? Is the cooling fan working? :confused:

rebuilt 87, now makes noise and overheats- details

the engine is the stock bore and has forged pistons, flat tappet cam, original front cover, a 190 degree thermostat, good working and spinning cooling fan. The engine makes around 85 to 90 psi oil pressure cold and around 15 to 20 hot. Thanks for any help!!!

the engine is the stock bore and has forged pistons, flat tappet cam, original front cover, a 190 degree thermostat, good working and spinning cooling fan. The engine makes around 85 to 90 psi oil pressure cold and around 15 to 20 hot. Thanks for any help!!!

First, I would get rid of the 190* thermostat and put a 160* in it. That's a lot of oil pressure cold for a stock pump. What kind of oil are you using? What spring do you have in the pump? Are you getting oil up to both sides of the motor. What chip are you running in the computer? Are you sure you have all the air out of the cooling system?