Restalling the stock D5 converter

Mark Parks

I have a Te44 turbo and a stock converter. Can the d5 be restalled for the turbo to spool faster? Can a transmission shop do this? Would 2800 stall be enough?

A D5 converter can't be stalled that high but you can get one stalled higher than stock. If you want a 2800 stall then contact Dusty and talk to him first so you know what you're getting ito before buying one.:)

The stock D5 can be loosened 400 rpm which would take it from 1800 to about 2200. It will work good with a TE-44. If you want extra quick spooling you'll have to move to a 10" with a 2800 stall.

I have seen the red striped 2800 stall and the orange striped 3000 stall advertised very reasonable. Would they fit my needs with the TE44 turbo? Looks like the orange striped a little more heavy duty.

You have to ignore those ratings. They will stall about 2200-2400. With that said they will spool a TE-44. That was a very common combo years ago.

I have a Vigilante that stalls at 2700ish with my TE44 and I love it. It's rate over 3000 though. If I hadn't gotten such a good deal on it, I'd have one from Dusty though and that's where I steer anyone who asks me about converters and everyone has been pleased. FWIW.

I have a Te44 turbo and a stock converter. Can the d5 be restalled for the turbo to spool faster........

The simple answer is yes.

It is really not that simple to answer without knowing which exhaust housing is on your turbo? :confused:

Stock D-5 converters are all not created equal as GM have various suppliers building their converters around the country, and have seen 2-300 RPM difference in stall between strictly stock GN's, and this is when there still were many stock ones running around! :)

A 44/49 turbo will generally work OK with a stock D-5, PROVIDING you have a Garrett housing.

I have never had a customer happy with a Precision housing using a stock converter. We have had many D-5's re-stalled to work fine with them though.

The simple answer is yes.

It is really not that simple to answer without knowing which exhaust housing is on your turbo? :confused:

Stock D-5 converters are all not created equal as GM have various suppliers building their converters around the country, and have seen 2-300 RPM difference in stall between strictly stock GN's, and this is when there still were many stock ones running around! :)

A 44/49 turbo will generally work OK with a stock D-5, PROVIDING you have a Garrett housing.

I have never had a customer happy with a Precision housing using a stock converter. We have had many D-5's re-stalled to work fine with them though.

The most that can be had out of a 12" stock converter is about 2200@0. Some of the old diesel cores that wound up in the LC2 cars may stall a couple hndred higher than the typical stock core but maximizing them you wont get over 2400@0. The 10" works a lot better at all throttle angles but shoudlnt be locked at WOT

"Rated stall" will vary a lot depending on combo and how much boost it will produce at the line before it overpowers the brakes. Notice bison rated them @ 0 psi. If it can hold good positive boost it will climb quite a bit higher but a 12" will take awhile to get there. My original D5 would do 2400 @ ~12 psi and the restalled D5 will do about 2800 at the same boost. BUT, you gotta be patient and it's hard on the car. I'm glad my restall was a good deal through my previous job because it's not noticeably different than the OE converter driving around town. If I paid $300+ for it I'd be very disappointed. Also a te44 with garrett .63 housing.

Just thought I'd clarify why you see 12" converters that people are claiming 2800 out of.

Dusty you are saying that they are lying about the stall ratings? If so how do you know?

I'm not saying they are lying, just mis-understanding how a turbo converter works. People in our Buick world are so stuck on stall ratings most people just throw a stall number out there to make the customer happy. These old ratings usually require at least 5 psi to get to the rpm it's rated at. The ratings commonly used just spilled over from the V8 world. You order a 3200 stall from someone used to dealing with V8 cars and your getting a converter that stalls 3200 behind a stout small block Chevy. Behind a V6 it will most likely only see 2400-2600 at 0psi. By 3200 you may have 5-7 psi, by 10 psi you may have 3600 and it just keeps going. The stall speed changes with the boost.

You can loosen the D5 sure...but its gonna lay on the slop in the convertor by the top of 2nd gear.
Dusty/PTC are on it with our cars and whats needed.
Ived been there done that with others

I guess I should have said to begin with that all I want is have is a converter to spool as fast as with the stock turbo. It's never been raced nor will I race it. As I said it has a TE44 with a Garett 63 housing. Not looking to spend alot of money.
What is the best converter for the buck to fit my needs?????