You can type here any text you want

Rjc power plate probs...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turboc87gn

Darkside in Detroit
I just ordered an rjc power plate and im hearing mixed things about them, people are saying that that they cause a lean condition and have caused blown headgaskets:eek: isnt that the broblem they are made to correct? So im wondering do i use it or not?:confused:

Mine works great. I run it with alky too. I have 60k miles on my stock 109 and probably 30 passes or more with the PP. Stock head gaskets too.

Well i dont like putting names out there but some well known gn guys here in mich one customer with a 9 sec car said the shop removed his stating it caused a blown headgasket, the shop car runs 7s twin turbo ive personally witnessed it, The other shop on the other side of town said it was not needed some have been known to cause probs..he also has a 9.0s gn these are the only gn guys i personally know that go fast so i dont know what to think.....

Those guys probably aren't running stock intakes either. I'm sure aftermarket intakes do a better job of balancing flow, but which ones?

install it. hell if you dont want it send it to me i will install it on my spare motor.

i have them on both cars below and have never had a problem with either....

changing nothing else on my stock 87GN..I was able to run 18psi on 94 octane gas with no knock after putting mine in. Before that I was only able to run 16psi.

I like it. If you do put it in..just be careful when you put the intake back on that you don't over tighten the bolts as they strip easily :-(

If you want to PM me...I am curious who told you they had problems. I am in the Michigan TR club so I might know who you are talking about :-)

I bought the RJC power plate when they first were made available and have used it ever since and it has never caused any problems,so i leave it in. ;)

When you start making BIG power (even with a stock intake) the power plate is not a part that is necessary. The guy with the shop who's car runs 7's tunes these cars so I would put some serious merit in what he says. From my own personal experience is they are only good for stock type intakes with no plenum spacers, but power limited. Jason didn't get one tuned in for that, or designed it around this. We are not having engine problems making BIG power without the power plate, but found that the cylinder balance wasn't so great with one.

Oh, that was even using the PP with the aftermarket intakes.

No problemswith mine. I feel safer with it than without. I would say install it. I bet the power plate didn't cause the headgaskets to pop. I say it was detonation.

Airflow problems can lead to detonation. It is possible that the PP leaned out a cylinder, like I said I've seen it, but were fortunate enough to not hurt the engine before I removed the plate. I am not privy to the speed shops data they had to make this determination, but it is not out of the question. The bottom line is it's a good idea to keep a eye on the plugs when you start leaning on these things.

I do think the plate is a good piece, but it should be made aware that there are limitations for it's application.

S2V6 what would you say the power limitations are ive seen your car run in person and you are at the end of the road that im am just starting to walk down..my goal with my car is mid 10s after i pull my motor this winter...It will be a mostly street occasional strip car my buddy that blew the headgasket was running 9.80s...At what point did you remove yours? I only get to spend big $$ once...so any advice will be appreciated...

There are all sorts of threads on the PP. Has been beaten to death. We have street cars that we used them on.. Yes cars that are DRIVEN all over the place in all sorts of weather conditions. Have a little street 9 sec GN in street trim .. 9.9 @ 138+ here.. 15k miles in the past 2 years. Watch the "tune" and NO KNOCK!! Have knock ?? you will pay for it. simple as that. Oh ...did I say "NO KNOCK" :eek::p

They are meant for stock intake cars & not for 7 sec rides. Thats a completely different animal so its not comparing apples to apples. Most guys are under 600 HP on average & thats who benefits from what I've read over the all the posts about them.

Back