Rollcage pics. 10pt.

disco stu

SDC11587.jpg

SDC11586.jpg

All I gotta say is you do purty work John. Send me a PM on how much a 6 point will cost me if I get there finally.:biggrin:

No, Why? Gussets are mainly used when you cannot get all the way around the weld, 80% by the rulebook.

roll cage

Summarily dismissing gussets and dash bar for a serious race car, should be a reasoned decision.
Gussetts will significantly stiffen your chassis. They can be tubes or precut plates. The placement is critical. It helps the hook up as well as----
You ever crashed a G Body at 170? May be difference between dead and NOT dead.
Think about it.

why not go through the dash, and your rear down bars should have gone to the top of the rear spring pockets.

otherwise it looks great!

why not go through the dash, and your rear down bars should have gone to the top of the rear spring pockets.

otherwise it looks great!

going through the dash is a major PITA to get right (lots more $ in time I'm sure) and there's a reason why disco does the rear bars the way he does.. pretty trick.

If I wasn't a do it yourselfer, i'd have stuey do mine for sure.

Whats the deal with the rear bars? Im only asking cause my buddy is about to cage my limted all i gotta do is buy the chromoly tubes and main hoop...

No, Why? Gussets are mainly used when you cannot get all the way around the weld, 80% by the rulebook.

He's right technically speaking SFI specs say that you do not need any gussets unless you can't weld all the way around the joint and a gusset is only used to replace up to 25% of non-welded surface(ex.a weld area of 4 inches can only have 1 inch that is not welded - and a gusset can be used to replace that 1 inch). As far as a dash bar is concerned you don't need one as long as your firewall is stock and in the stock location. That is what is required for 8.50's and slower. And I read they were going to install swing outs- which means the cage won't certify to 8.50's. anyway - so at this point bar location is completely personal preference. If you want to go faster than 8.50's you would have to remove swing outs and install a funny car cage,x the door bars and roof,install dash bar,kidney bar on driver side and you can certify to 7.50's or slower (25.5 spec). By the way - rear bar location is not affected as long as it ties in to rear frame rails.

Whats the deal with the rear bars? Im only asking cause my buddy is about to cage my limted all i gotta do is buy the chromoly tubes and main hoop...

Also make sure your buddy tig welds your cage if you are going chrome moly. If you go with mild steel he or she can mig or tig it in. Chrome moly would be ideal so if you ever upgrade or sell the car it gives you another selling point because you can add to the cage to certify to a faster spec as long as the foundation was done right(location,plates,tube thickness,etc....). Also since chrome moly is stronger you can run smaller size tubing which in turn means less overall weight.:biggrin:

Also make sure your buddy tig welds your cage if you are going chrome moly. If you go with mild steel he or she can mig or tig it in. Chrome moly would be ideal so if you ever upgrade or sell the car it gives you another selling point because you can add to the cage to certify to a faster spec as long as the foundation was done right(location,plates,tube thickness,etc....). Also since chrome moly is stronger you can run smaller size tubing which in turn means less overall weight.:biggrin:
Exactly!!!! Hes gonna tig it and im gonna help cut,notch and bend the tubes ..... I know how to mig but im not good enough to trust myself welding a cage.....

Disco Stu's cage is awesome I wish my side bars were lower but hey I'm only 5.9'' getting in and out is easy. Some pics of mine.

DSC01490.jpg

DSC01277.jpg

DSC01278.jpg

DSC01288.jpg

DSC01282.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

180.jpg

Thats a helluva job!! I bet the bends around the dash where a PITA!!! How many sticks of tubing did ya kill trying to bend those :) Seriously, that looks good. Ive put several in g bodys for circle track racing. Im no expert but you did good. Ive found that cutting the top off the car at the seams works the best for circle track applications lol.

Brian