Runs Rough After Changing Header Gaskets

blacksix

So . . . changed header gaskets last week, screwed it all back together and voila . . . runs like crap, as if it had a bad MAF or something. Poor idle, sputters at throttle tip-in, etc. All sensors and wiring hooked up properly (had this car apart lots of times, I know what goes where.)

Any thoughts? :confused:

I did the same thing last week. After double confirming the plug wires were correct and the problem still persisted I thought I would pull the plugs and look at them. I was sure it was only running on five cylinders. When I pulled the boots off the plugs one boot came out with half of the spark plug in it. New plug fixed the problem but now I need to find time why I have small exhaust leak.

Do you have a boost gauge? What is the Vac reading? If it's below 17-16" you have a leak somewhere. Double check EGR.

Is the MAF pointing in the right direction?

So . . . changed header gaskets last week, screwed it all back together and voila . . . runs like crap, as if it had a bad MAF or something. Poor idle, sputters at throttle tip-in, etc. All sensors and wiring hooked up properly (had this car apart lots of times, I know what goes where.)

Any thoughts? :confused:

did you check plugs for a crack or as mentioned above that the wire broke in the boot. a gasket change would not do this. i would go over the ignition setup

Exhaust manifold gaskets replaced, then runs like crap.... not sure what could have happened doing that... may not of even taken your plug/plug wires off for that.
Might want to check your compression just to make sure it was only the exhaust gaskets in question.

Chuck

Yyyyyyyyyyyeah, I'm kinda spending my money elsewhere now, I just like driving the Buick rather than screwing with it. Runs fine with a stock MAF. Could it run better with XFI? Probably. Do I care? Not really. Is it fun to drive as it is? Yup . . . :biggrin: